• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question for the women riders on here...

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
I want to get my wife a chest protector, so I figured I'd ask the women on here what is the most comfortable for them. Any help would be great, Thanks

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Might help to know her size if it's not to personal, my wife is a bit top heavy, she looked at the chest protectors when I was out fitting her with all her gear and she had a funny look on her face and said "ouch".

K

Kong

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Pagosa Springs, CO
My wife wears a tech vest OVER her jacket. On the outside. She stays warm and finds it unrestrictive. She has worn it this way for at least 6 years.

She is a mountain/boonie rider not trails. Doesn't bother her at all.

O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
My wife is in the same boat as Gold5th's wife.
She has tried the B-wear, Techvest and the moto style protectors and hasn't found anything that fits her.
Vest makers don't really take ladies into account. Their not a big enough market I guess.

I just wish there was a place she could go try on some of the other styles and see if we could find something for her.

A lot of it would depend on her size. If she is a real petite women, there are a lot of options. If she is stacked, good luck. Let me know if she finds anything. I am still looking for my wife.

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
My wife is kinda mid sized up top. (not sure how else to put it :))
That is the problem I am running into, nobody around here has any protectors in stock for her to try on. One place has the Ballistic Jersey in stock, (which is what I wear) they have a real flat chest plate. I'm pretty sure that it would not be comfortable for a woman. Thanks for the replies & keep them coming.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Klim TekVest and sports bra for me too. I do wear a couple of layers underneath it, which I feel helps some with fit.

BackCountryBasics

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho
www.backcountrybasics.com
Teckvest.....over lightweight R5 material....& then use a TOBE Warrior pullover (gives me plenty of room in the shoulders w/ the vest underneath) for when it's chilly. I can manuver & am plenty warm w/ just the teckvest & lightwieght moisture wicking shirt. (those underarmer, or Klim shirts would work too as bottom layer)
NYsBuddI31st015.jpg

NYsBuddI31st005.jpg

NYsBuddI31st001.jpg

NYsBuddI31st037.jpg

Last edited:
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I use to wear a Tek Vest, had to wear it over my coat. To restrictive under it. Wore this for 2 years.

Then bought a Bwear because it would fit under my coat. Not to bad over all, but it never moulded to my body. Rubbed my shoulders wrong, bruised the bones on top. Owie!!!!! Wore this for 2 years.

Now, I wear a sixsixone Core Saver. I love it. Never know it is there. It has stretchy material on the side that allows for alot more flexibility. The shoulders are individual sections sewn together to allow it to lay over your shoulder. This is the first vest I've worn that didn't kill my bones on the top of my shoulders. I wear a heavy backpack, so this is important. I've taken numberous blows to my chest and back now w/o any injury. This is my 2nd year w/ this vest.

Unfortunately, she can try them on and they might feel good/ok right then and there. But when you notice it is up on the hill, trying to maneauver and now it's digging into your bones, cutting into your skin or restricting your movement. To late now............ lol (coming from someone who's on her 3rd vest lol)

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
my wife wears the 661 pressure suit for riding bikes (supermoto), and wears a tek vest trail pro (full front plate not zip up front plate) for sledding. at togwotee two weeks ago it paid off. hit a creek ravine high rate of climb, stopped the sled fast, she hit the riser on her new fx nytro mtx VERY HARD. she is in the medical field, and she told me without the vest we would have been flyin her out of where we were.

two weeks to the day she did it and her sternum still hurts today. without the vest i would hate to think what would have happened. would it been enough of a thump on her chest to stop her heart? break ribs and sternum? tear an aortic valve or vein in or around the heart/lungs???? i dont want to go there. her being able to catch her breath, look me in the eye and thank me for buying and making her wear that vest was worth the price of admission.

just because it starts off uncomfortable dont let that keep you from wearing it. find out the adjustments or try other brands till they are comfortable. it is worth it. no different than wearing a beacon, helmet or wearing seat belts in a car. just another piece of saftey equipment that brings us home to our loved ones each ride. ski

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanks for the replies. I will have to look thru some sites & books. I'll buy her one thats looks like it'll be comfortable & go from there. Thanks again for the ideas.:)

G

Gold5th

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I will have to look thru some sites & books. I'll buy her one thats looks like it'll be comfortable & go from there. Thanks again for the ideas.:)

Try and buy it from a place that'll let you exchange it if it doesn't fit properly or whatnot

P
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
I have the B-Wear now and I'm really having some issues with mobility I feel absolutly restricted in my movements. And like CG said it is pinching where it shouldn't, and rubbing the jeebers outta the tops of my shoulders. I'm gonna keep with it for a little longer to see if it will finally mold to my body. I dunno. If not I'm going to try the 661 and see if that is a better gig. :)

C
Nov 30, 2007
Try some of the mountain bike armour like Azonic, Six Six One, Dianesse, Alpinestars, UFO, Fox, Troy Lee or Beast gear.

I use the Azonic Z6 body armour because it's meant to be worn next to the skin so it's pretty comfortable.

I would suggest the Beastgear or the UFO/ Alpinestars for women with bigger boobs.

Good luck

M.

Premium Features