• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making a mesh hood: 05 King Cat

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
I sent you a PM as well, but I thought I'd through up some pics here as well. Just waiting on the hood to come back from getting covered.
0829081215.jpg

0829081004.jpg

0829081221.jpg

The picture quality isn't the greatest, I'll get some good ones up when I get it done. And yes thats my 180lbs on there, no problem.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
Mesh Hoods

I've built several for the King Kat style sleds. Flat aluminum stock and two small pot riverts in each joint, 2nd and 3rd hoods I used small short HUCK pop rivets @ each joint, they will hold up the best. Did mine in Black PET SCREEN, so after frame was done juist wiped it down with acetone and painted it flat black. Then no aluminum shows. Any rivets that you want to hide after fabric is installed, just hit it with Gloss Black Fast drying spray paint, you'll never see it.

I've put the screen on with contact cement and clothes pins, messy but works. I've pot riveted it, more time consuming and hard to keep out all the wrinkles, but cleaner and less mess. The guys that make some of these for a living use 3M double back tape, I bought the tape but haven't built another hood to try that out. did some side vents for my first M7 where I built an Aluminum frame, tape worked ok, clean..........no mess.

I've had them without windshields, in the long haul they suck. Put on windshield and new sleds need lights and instrument pods. Some rides back at dark with no light and cold wet hands, mesh hood with air going right
throught it and no windshiled........just 2nd class situation.

Some cold crisp days with lots of air going through expect your mesh hood sled to be not quite the same, factory sets them up to have warm air under there. Christmas vacation @ Seely Lake for a week of riding, cold dry snow, coming off the hill after dark and some nites rides at Zero in fresh fine grained snow, found it best to just run stock hood. Like mesh underwear, its a little warmer weather thing. Blistering hot Feb afternoons on long climbs when the snow sets up, mesh hoods are a good deal.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Thanks for the info guys, and yes untouchable did a really nice job with his hood. I bought a 12' trampoline pad so I will be using that as my material, if I use rivets, will that rip the material or should I use some kind of glue or double sided tape?? Does anybody else know what would work good??
Thanks
Trent

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
180 wow time to go on the o'l diet:eek:

Naw just Chit'n ya, i take poop this size.

lookin nice i'll have to send some pics of the finished cat to you.

P

ProKlim

Dec 10, 2007
North Dakota
Well, we have most of the frame done, we still need to finish the back going around the gas tank, and I think we are going to put another small strip along the sides for a little more support, not the greatest pictures but they work. I'll post more when I get it dont and covering it. Does anyone think I should powder coat the frame orange or black, or just leave it the way it is.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Trent

P9280010.JPG P9280011.JPG P9280013.JPG P9280014.JPG P9280015.JPG P9280016.JPG P9280017.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features