• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Doo stock sixth tooth drivers garbage for turbo sleds on 850

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Sounds like doo was not listening again for 18 changes about driver failures..

Talking with a few new turbo drivers this week, they both are replacing out to advid drivers.. They racheted after first hr and had to be tightened more than a few times on the 175, said it way to tight for there comfort and will be swapping out

This was mentioned last year and it will not be long before stockers will be in same boa, would be my guess

Redline has sold a dozen sets and another dozen on order

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Definately have to tighten things up a LOT ahead of time and make sure they do not ratchet in the first place, once the tips get melted over there is just not much contact and you need new ones.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
What does "way to tight for there comfort" equate to?

Did they run the factory spec tension and re-check after each of the first 5 or six rides?

Sincere question and not trying to "poke" at the first post!

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Tighter you run the track the more resistance, thus heavier rolling resistance, and ussally less traction on snow.. And more wear and stretch..

Robbie was saying his drivers wrap around the Windows and noobs much better and that allows track to run much looser with out ratching

Seven tooth just add another tooth and give a better attack angle onto snow, if you look at the stock G4 now you can easily see the sharp attack angle witch also is a cause of trenching rather than getting up on snow quick..

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Some thoughts from another post a while back.

Loose is NOT good... Not if you want your track to perform.

Heres my 2 cents. From experience and talking to some of the best in the industry including Camoplast and FTX.

The newer single ply tracks just do not tolerate looseness as much as the older 2 ply tracks did.

A loose track is MUCH more prone to stabbing.

From a previous post

Al, I've seen this argument before... I'll give my point of view here... [IMO]. I present this after talking to the people at Camoplast, and other respected people in the field like Jack Struthers.

An OVER-tightened track IS counter productive to performance as you say... not to pe confused with a Properly tightened track.

Since the weight of the sled presses the track against the hyfax (in use, compared to on the stand) the 'loosness' in a loose track has to happen some where... the track does balloon at the top unless the track is unloaded or catches some air.

As much as the track is pulled on the top by the driver, it is "pushed" past the hyfax on the bottom.

The physics of a track and tension / take-up are NOT the same as a chain drive under load. In a sled, the track is what transfers the power to the ground... not transferring power to something else that transfers the power (like in a motorcyle with the sprocket/tire being driven).

With a loose track... the tunnel side of the track cycles thru a herky-jerky motion of going from banjo-string tight to ballooning out as you run with the inherrent loading and undloading of the drivetrain that a sled goes thru in accelleration, dealing with terrain and braking... even more exagerated by the large amount of weight that you added with the studs on your semi-long track ripsaw.

As you point out a properly adjusted track DOES rely on the track being pulled past the rear ider. A looser track cant do this all the time and this is what causes the problems... the loosness in the track has to go somewhere... that somewhere ends up being the distortion of the track as it is crammed past the hyfax or gets tripped up in the drivetrain. This distortion of the track lays the paddles down and tilts the clips on edge which can also accellerate hyfax wear.

As the track leaves the driver, a loose track will get bunched up at the front of the rail... in that situation the rails must strip the loose track from the driver and Force the track down along the rail/hyfax... A loose track does not get "pulled" around the rear idler like a properly tensioned track does.

In this age of single ply tracks, seen mostly on the mountain sleds, the belting of the track is not a rigid as a multi ply track.. they are even more susceptible to this bunching-up of the track as it leaves the drivers.

When the track bunches up between the driver and rail.. this is where the 'stabbing' occurs.

The best analogy of the bunching up that I can think of of is kind of like watching a drag racing tire "wrinkle" as it launches... not a direct analogy... but something that shows the kind of hook-up that a sled with good traction is getting.

zPujFNY.jpg

I run a 155" to 159" track, NO bogie wheels, standard Hyfax and Avid Drivers with trimmed rails. I run the Factory prescribed tension on the track. I have yet to stab a track or wear out a set of hyfax during the season but I do replace them long before they are needed at the beginning of each season.

I have also never smoked a bearing on a driveshaft, (caused by proper tension on a track) but I have replaced them as part of PM on sleds over 2500 miles to protect my ride time on the sled... none of the drive shaft bearings removed on the end or in the case have ever been worn out. I have had jackshaft bearings go on me though, but have since switched out to a greasable PTO side setup and hope for better results there.

IMO, if a loose track gave better performance... the factory race teams would be running that on the snowcrossers and oval track sleds. In this never ending game of trying to outdo each other, the factories would not leave something as easy to fix on the table...again IMO.
and my .02 on the track tension...I realize that grass/dirt is different than snow but in our years of testing with timing lights for grass drags, a snugger track was ALWAYS faster than a looser track. Didn't matter how much power , how much traction or how long the track was... it maintained its rotational shape better and et's dropped. Lots of great points made above about this subject.

curt

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
IMHO

TIGHT is better for a multitude of reasons and you pulling on track in the garage is irrelevant...

add idler wheels...

pull limiter up 1 helps "wrap" of track and 4 deg AOA for free...

500 miles at 200 hp and not 1 skip including a rock I thought for sure bent that DS or would have spun drivers...

yes the Avids are better and going 7 tooth is best but there are options...BJ

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I never ratcheted last year in over 700 boosted miles on my 3” 165. Tightened the liniter strap and checked track tension for the first 100 miles or so and never a ratchet problem. I did see one guy with a turbo 850 last year who stripped out the drivers on the driveshaft. Meet him in the parking lot as the helicopter dropped his sled off.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Up at red line today and seen a few sets of stock drivers that were toast on boosted sleds, almost a joke to see doo using that.. The advid are just a much better griping driver..

They were replacing a few as I was there and seams to be the norm with a turbo package, as for tension, i found to lose traction on a over tight track, a nice inch of play mid track works fine, no fiddle string..

Got a set of seven tooth comming, but looking at room on left side, it will need some serous massaging and tap ups on coolant inlet pipe.. To have the room needed on stock track.. Hope it works out or I will be doing 6 tooth as well

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Be careful on too much grip.

I was running avid's on my axys and ripped the driveshaft apart before it ever ratcheted.

On the doo shaft you will crush/spin them on the shaft now instead of melting the tips over. Something is going to break. drivers are cheaper and they work alright with spun over tips vs crushed/spun shafts.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Been running advids on last 4 sleds, no problems with any of them, don't plan to have problems and never heard of others running them on boosted.. Maybe a freak thing

Premium Features