• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What do you carry with you (tools for the 850)

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Just moving over to an 850 this year and genuinely curious what people carry in their toolkit with them. Coming form an Axys where I had it pretty dialed but I am guessing I can forgo a lot of "doh, I wish I had THAT" by asking the collective what specific tools I should carry (sockets, wrenches, etc).

Obviously, everyone should carry the Ski-Doo tools, but that leaves a lot to be desired. I am a bit of a minimalist, in that i'm not going to carry the kitchen sink out in the backcountry, but I would like to be prepared.

Ready? Go!

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Just moving over to an 850 this year and genuinely curious what people carry in their toolkit with them. Coming form an Axys where I had it pretty dialed but I am guessing I can forgo a lot of "doh, I wish I had THAT" by asking the collective what specific tools I should carry (sockets, wrenches, etc).

Obviously, everyone should carry the Ski-Doo tools, but that leaves a lot to be desired. I am a bit of a minimalist, in that i'm not going to carry the kitchen sink out in the backcountry, but I would like to be prepared.

Ready? Go!

Its a skidoo you don't need tools except for the one to change your belt.

yosh30

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2009
I always bring a set of stubby metric ratchet wrenches, smaller crescent wrench, plumbers tape, stubby screwdriver with flathead, Philips and torx heads, flip up carpenters knife

I've never had to use them on my sled but I can count 5 times I've helped riding buddies: limping back a stripped gear in chain case in which we had to tear down the chain case 2 times, popped a secondary off to remove a crushed spacer that caused extremely low rpm, loose handlebars, adjusting clickers, blowing a belt that wrapped cords around the clutch to the point of not being able to turn over. All these simple tools can basically bushfix anything in the backcountry in a timely matter, and atleast get you to your truck.

Last edited:

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Tools

1-Duct tape 2- roundall speed wrench 3- Alan wrench for handle bars. If you have a decent maintenance routine you really wont be wrenching on a skidoo. Wipe an a arm off or fold your rails you can pretty much bend back brace & duct tape anything to get you threw the day. No need to carry a toolbox anymore. Folding your bars over early in the day & trying to tuff it out sucks. Getting rid of the backpack full of crap is the best thing I ever did. Make the sled do all the work and enjoy riding hard all day.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I don't carry a single tool. Just always have a guy with a Polaris in your group because they usually have a full set to work on their junk :eyebrows:

Crap, beat me to it. Seriously though, everyone I ride with has a ton of tools, no need to double up and I rarely need them. Long allen to adjust chain, same as the one to adjust clutch weight/clickers. 10mm for handlebar in case I fold it down. Stock tools to adjust deflection every 10 miles as the stupid thing smokes belts.

S
Jan 24, 2017
Missoula, MT
The first thing I always consider is the weight of what I'm carrying. I try to go as light as possible yet have all of what I need.
I carry a driver that accepts bits with all the torx and allen bits that fit the sled. I make sure I have everything to adjust my bars, riser, and throttle in the event something gets tweeked there. Pliars are a must, but what's better is small pair of vise grips...you can undo your can springs if you need to get in the engine bay or they greatly assist you when you blow a belt.
Tape, and a small chunk of bailing wire. Clutch pull cord. Something to start a fire. I'm slowly adding to the list every year, usually after something bad happens and you wish you had this or that.

Stuff happens when you're out in the backcountry. Better to be prepared. Assuming that someone will come along and help you is dangerous. The guys I ride with carry tools as well and we generally can come up with a fix to limp a sled back to the truck.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
The first thing I always consider is the weight of what I'm carrying. I try to go as light as possible yet have all of what I need.
I carry a driver that accepts bits with all the torx and allen bits that fit the sled. I make sure I have everything to adjust my bars, riser, and throttle in the event something gets tweeked there. Pliars are a must, but what's better is small pair of vise grips...you can undo your can springs if you need to get in the engine bay or they greatly assist you when you blow a belt.
Tape, and a small chunk of bailing wire. Clutch pull cord. Something to start a fire. I'm slowly adding to the list every year, usually after something bad happens and you wish you had this or that.

Stuff happens when you're out in the backcountry. Better to be prepared. Assuming that someone will come along and help you is dangerous. The guys I ride with carry tools as well and we generally can come up with a fix to limp a sled back to the truck.

FWIW, I really wasn't trying to make this a "should you carry tools" thread.

My question was 'what, specifically, do you all carry?". Trying to mitigate some of the learning curve so I have the right stuff without bringing the proverbial kitchen sink.

Anyway - not picking on you, just pointing out more details would certainly help.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Even if the Ski-Doo's are as bullet proof as these guys say (and they are not) it's good to carry some shock tools. For Polaris it's an allen, 13, 15 and 9/16. That way if you hit something you can move/remove stuff to get you back to the truck. It's also good to have some tools to adjust your bars if you hit them hard enough to bend them. I've also had a track ratchet bad enough to need tighten on the trail - and that was on a Ski-Doo. There are numerous reasons to have some tools.

J
Mar 19, 2008
I don't carry a single tool. Just always have a guy with a Polaris in your group because they usually have a full set to work on their junk :eyebrows:

Yea, you really don't need much.
Just extra rails for when you hit a branch, a brace kit for the brittle frame, nuts and bolts for when your bearing falls out. You know-just small stuff.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Carry a very basic tool kit with a few metric wenches, pliers, adjustable wench, torx, allen, screwdrivers, wire, tape and zip ties.

Mostly use the tools on others sleds, my Ski Doos have been very good unless I crash into something. :face-icon-small-fro

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The little screw driver with replacable tips and the few assorted ones, makes hood removal way easier then using the goofy belt tool. Also then your game on for any clamps under hood or little clips that need pried on.

From my rev days I have a combo 10/13 wrench which hits most of the bolts on it. Also from that era the stamped steel socket that is 10/13 and twiting using a screwdriver is damn handy. Those 2 sizes cover a lot of ground on the g4.

A decent set of pliers ALWAYS comes in handy. I know in my shop I never go for the tiny ghetto mini vice grips, so why would i want those on the hill? A moderate size set of angle need nose seem to always come in handy if you ahve to fish something out or work where your hands dont fit.

Premium Features