• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard case mounted to tunnel

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Hello everyone.

I was looking at mounting a pelican case to the tunnel of my sled but after seeing the 300$ price tag I decided on the ridgid box. Only problem I’m having is figuring out a way to be able to make it easily removable. Like brp linq system.
I thought of mounting Hy-fax to my tunnel and getting old rails chopping them and mounting the rails to the box.
Any other ideas?
Thanks

9D8D514E-429F-4DF1-BBEB-E12776C3670F.jpg

O
Dec 9, 2010
High falls, NY
I'm in the same boat. I have a pelican case I want to mount. I'm gonna try and use some linq mounts and fab something up. I'll post a picture with what I come up with.

On a side note my buddy did what you were talking about and he used 2 sets of hyfax and mounted them so they locked into on another like a cabinet drawer and riveted two pieces to the tunnel and two to the box

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I'm in the same boat. I have a pelican case I want to mount. I'm gonna try and use some linq mounts and fab something up. I'll post a picture with what I come up with.

On a side note my buddy did what you were talking about and he used 2 sets of hyfax and mounted them so they locked into on another like a cabinet drawer and riveted two pieces to the tunnel and two to the box

Thought about using the linq mounts but the way the box is made I wouldn’t be able to mount them on the ends because of the latches they would have to be more in the center and I feel as thought it wouldn’t hold up.
Post for sure what you have! Thank you

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
SnoPro1000, I think that looks awesome!

What exactly is the size and model. I may decide to do this as well!

It’s from homedepot, 59$ Canadian.
Nice part is you can buy two and stack them if you don’t have enough room or your going on a very long trip. I will also be adding a rotopax to the top lid of the box.

DC1F5E4E-7FF3-4F91-9782-F156CC3E51BF.jpg F45E9C4C-2306-4075-AA46-DF13D3259E83.jpg

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Nice.

I might get one and strap it on with regular rubber bungees. My 10 has holes in the underside of the bumper and I run a few straps from side to side. I bent the hook ends smaller so they stay hooked better and dont snag things. Have ridden trees for years without a problem.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I picked one up yesterday at Home Depot. I don't know if I will use it on my sled because i have a tunnel bag on there now but for $29.00, it's nice to have the option. thanks again for the idea.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
I picked one up yesterday at Home Depot. I don't know if I will use it on my sled because i have a tunnel bag on there now but for $29.00, it's nice to have the option. thanks again for the idea.

No problem at all.
Wish I only paid 29$ damn Canadian dollar lol.
How would you mount it Frostbite? I’m still tumbling ideas in my head as to how to mount it

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Caterpillar makes these nice rubber mounts that bolt on the machine, the other end accepts a male part that's attached to a lid. They use them to secure the engine lids, trans lids, any access lid down.

There is a local guy that used these to mount a pelican case to his wife's sled. It houses her photography equipment. It pulls off when you need it too, but not easy enough to fall off when ridding. Pretty clean setup

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I bought one. Very well built. Has a good moisture seal so no concern there.

My concern is the added weight. My seat of the pants scale in the store told me around 5#. I was so off, prob because I was hoping it was light enough.

I weighed mine with a cheapo fish scale and my bathroom scale. I did the bathroom scale 3 times. All weights indicate approx 8#. At this time I am pondering if I want to add that much weight.

Rubber bungees from left bumper, over box, to right bumper would hold it. For access just unhook bungees.

Or for easier access, run a bungee on each end, just over the built in tabs but i would still run one across the top for added security. See photo. Photo is upside down.

I think one would want it to sit flush on tunnel so I would grind iff the little feet on each corner.

image.jpg

Last edited:
S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
Caterpillar makes these nice rubber mounts that bolt on the machine, the other end accepts a male part that's attached to a lid. They use them to secure the engine lids, trans lids, any access lid down.

There is a local guy that used these to mount a pelican case to his wife's sled. It houses her photography equipment. It pulls off when you need it too, but not easy enough to fall off when ridding. Pretty clean setup

I like the sounds of this, what do they look like?

F
Nov 5, 2017
Nevada
Caterpillar part numbers

8Y-5726 socket - latch
8C-4427 plunger

9X-2042 screw-truss head m6x1x12mm
6V-8653 bolt - socket head m6x1x40mm

Then a washer and nut
9x-8267
6v-7743

The top two numbers are the assembly (male, female)
The rest are metric fasteners.

Premium Features