• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

LOW IDLE AFTER INSTALLING V-FORCE-3R REEDS, ANYONE ELSE??

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
What does stock pull for belly busters at that elevation, 66g or 68g?
I was told it that the 858 would pull 6g more than stock. So I tried clutching it for that. Wouldn't pull it, not even close. I am currently running mtx 74g empty(originally had it loaded with 5g but removed) with a slp blue/pink spring and only turning 8100rpm at 3-4K elevation. My wifes 13 pro stock pulls 71g mtx with 2g in the heel stock same rpm at same elevation. This is what chaps me. Sorry for the de-rail.

Stock sled will pull 66g belly busters to 5k elevation. With the 860 the sled is over revving Belly Buster 70's to above 5,000 ft but starts under revving 10-72's at about 4500 ft. This is with a 62/42 helix. It will probably end up with 10-72's with a little tip weight ground out of them. Which is still very impressive. It pulls almost as hard as my 872.

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
Reeds

My sled is a 13, I seems to run strong when rode hard but had to pull lots of fuel to most all rpm ranges low throttle possition, rode hardback today till I got up high to good snow I to was slobbery rich everywhere I would try to cruse, gonna try stock reeds agin. I also have had bad powder bog issues that I never had before.

I just installed a new set of 3r reeds on my 13 SBS. Would really idle low at start, then took her for a little ride and works best kind now. Spoke to rep at Moto Tanissari and they said this would happen at first because of the stiffness of the reeds. Once they break in, should be ok.

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Been lookin at reeds myself... following this thread....

If u have to pull fuel just to get it to run clean, that means ya got less airflow....?

Less air, less fuel = less power imho

Now maybe once theyre broke in it'll go the other way who knows but seems sketchy....

Back in the day I put em in my 2001 mod, full slp setup. It was waaay better throttle response and I believe I lifted the needle a clip or two. Those worked no question very noticeable!!!

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
So I pulled my reeds on my sled (RKtek 858) and now it idles like stock and I added the 14% fuel I had taken out just to get it to idle ok. I haven't been able to test it out on the snow yet, but happy to have my sled to idle normal. Oh and the reeds, the crank case, and tb boots were soaked in oily unburnt fuel when I removed the reeds. Super rich. I agree with Brycer, less air=less power... Just was hoping to get some easy bolt on hp. Oh well.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
My idle was never terrible but noticably lower when the reeds where first installed. 100 miles later and much better. It may be a tad low but i am not even sure so its darn close.

NapaMatt

Matryx 850 Pow Slayer!
Lifetime Membership
Mar 13, 2009
Stewartville, MN
www.napaonline.com
Just found my V F 3 Reeds.. Eaten up.. Mag side Missing .. 4 Petals! PTO side missing one..

Dont' even have 1000 miles on the set. = Junk..!!!

Want my money back!!

Carbon Fiber.. Reed Pedals just break.. and flake off...

You will find ur plug.. going gray / white .. maybe even a closed gap.. I found this 3 times.. My guess each time i lost a pedal..

Back to 2100 idle cold. warm.. goes to 1800 1850.. Perfect!..

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
V force 3r reeds in my 12 Carl's stage 4 ported 800.
Put them in and everything regarding idle seemed fine. It did seem to lean out the off idle to mid range area, the fuel mapping used to be pretty rich in that area and blacken up snow and side pannel but that has now cleared up and it runs great.

X
Dec 10, 2009
So I checked my TPS setting and found the baseline at .740V with idle at .939. I rest it to 0.698 and .940. My idle is exactly where it should be now at 1900-2000 cold and settles down to 1800ish when warmed up. I haven't actually tested it due to lack of snow.

My theory is that the 3Rs aren't as forgiving due to the increased pedal stiffness with respect to the TPS setting. So after the installation these low idle symptoms of a improperly set TPS start showing up.

S
Jan 10, 2008
I have a 2012 SB Assault with 2" track. i installed the RK Tek drop in kit, installed the V force 3R reeds, installed Team adjustable weights, weighted to 70 Grams.also running a bikeman stinger. all this happened ay once, call me stupid but i did it. from the start there was some low idle issues, just like the systems talked about on SW. trust me once you get some miles on the idle comes back to normal. i have not adjusted anything on the sled. i run at 1700 ft elev. and this things rips. i actually think i could pull just a little more weight. i still still occasionally hit the Rev limiter when i pin it. i have logged 140 miles on this set up. every time i ride it, it seems to get stronger. my nephew has the same set up, less the reeds, you can notice the difference. in a flat out drag race i take him everytime and he never catches up. i hope this info helps you guys decide about these reeds. there have been a few more sets purchased in our riding group after they seen the results it had on my sled.

FrankTheTank

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
www.mountainspeedshop.se
Im on -20% at idle on the PCV on my 860 LongRod with 3R!
It has 4mm reedspacers and welded/ported crankcase.
When shifting maps I happend to get it on 0% at idle and it fould a plug as soon as I started it!
But I cant complain, my bigbore motor gives me a big smile!
The throttle respons it awsome, and with the Tied it just kicks away!

Last edited:

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
RkTek 858 and V-Force 3R, low idle now dead.

Just installed a rktek 858 big bore and v-force 3r. After install sled only started when i gave it alittle gas. Keept holding the engine going to the temperature where thermostat opens, gave it some rips, seemed to work well. Still wouldnt idle, if i released the throttle it would after a 2-3seconds.
Just got home with it, tought it was left over oil after the install. Started it up, wouldnt idle right, managed to push the reverse button and get it in reverse, backed off trailer, hit the button again. Sled died, wont start.

Any tips?

Edit: Changed the sparks plugs and disconnected the Boondocker box, started up after a couple pulls. Still wouldnt idle but shut it of by using the kill switch. Connected the Boondocker box again, started right up, heated it up a couple mins until it was warm, took it for a spin and looks like it cleared it up. Idled nice afterwards and is pull and go. Looks like there was to much oil in the cylinders after the install.

False alarm this time. :)

Last edited:

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Sunvang, you will need to pull around 10-15% fuel from your lowest rpm fuel setting in order to get it to idle. Or pull the VF3R reeds. I pulled my reeds and installed the stock ones and I was able to go back to 0% fuel setting and it idles like a stock sled. Or try waiting it out like others have stated. To me, I don't want to have to give it gas every time I start it like a carbed sled...

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm at 110 miles on the v force reeds and they show no signs of idling any better.

Tps is spot on.

I tried to wait them out. :(

So i guess I'll keep going with the idle cranked up.
Feels old school with no reverse.

Mostly hoping for a refund.

Premium Features