• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

GoPro mounting on helmet

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
Alright GoPro'rs- how many of you out there really trust the curved helmet mounts stuck to your helmets?

How many have lost GoPro's due to those mounts coming unstuck?

I really like the idea of having it mounted to the side of the helmet at eye level and not on top, but really nervous about that thing coming off.

Thoughts?

S

SledsWest

Sep 4, 2009
Sanpete County, UT
www.quadswest.com
As long as its a clean and reasonably warm (room temp) surface when you apply it to your helmet, that adhesive is plenty strong. We have 4-5 guys that ride with gopro's mounted with the curved adhesive mount, and not one of them has come loose or unstable. Stick it and ride.

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
Mine stays pretty good, and it's taken quite a bit of hits from some unfriendly trees, But I do hook up a makeshift "tether" and attatch it to my backpack, just in case. I want to do the mount on the side of the helmet as well, but I'm all out of curved mounts. 20 bones for 4... kinda pricey in my opinnion.

J
Feb 19, 2008
Ogden
But I do hook up a makeshift "tether" and attatch it to my backpack, just in case.

Good idea Tanner! I was thinking something similar, but was thinking of hooking it to my helmet strap on that side that goes under my chin. That way it is short out of the way. My helmet can go on and off and backpack too without noticing the tether is there.

I would have to lose my whole helmet in order to lose the camera. Hmmm.....there is my new product idea.

Have my nieces who make the braided bracelets make custom braided helmet tethers for the go pro. $10.

SOLD!

Better yet maybe I will even use a Phiten necklace so that I have better balance and riding skills.:faint:

Last edited:
T

twsandrew

Nov 26, 2007
I found out the bad way riding down at cherry creek that they are incredibly strong. Strong enough to take me off my bike at speed. I liked the Contour tether but after that I am not sure I needed one.

D

DRAPE

Feb 19, 2008
NSL UT
I've personally seen the plastic mounts break before the sticky stuff gave up.

W

WXNic

Dec 8, 2007
bountiful
they don't seem to come off - unless they're suctioned to a waterski. in that case they lay at the bottom of lake powell!

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Mine stays pretty good, and it's taken quite a bit of hits from some unfriendly trees, But I do hook up a makeshift "tether" and attatch it to my backpack, just in case. I want to do the mount on the side of the helmet as well, but I'm all out of curved mounts. 20 bones for 4... kinda pricey in my opinnion.

best way to cure that is to go to Radio Shack and get some of the industrial strength velcro. Put some on your helmet where you would mount it and then some on the mount itself. That way you can use your mount in different locations. It has worked for my contour mounts anyway. I have not had the velcro come apart even when hitting a bunch of tree branches. The Contour mount is designed to have the part of the mount separate so you don't break the camera or yourself. And the tether works. Trust me know it works.

Skip to 9:45 to watch it come off.
http://www.youtube.com/user/yamadoo04#p/u/48/rH5Xhedh7MM

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Mine has stayed stuck to my whitewater helmet for 3 trips down West Water including cliff jumping and being soaked in the water during swims.

The other day I tried to peal it off and it wouldn't come off so I just left it.

I think you'll break the mount before the sticky comes off.

sled_guy

Premium Features