• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic cat NEWBIE info/advice

S
Sep 16, 2010
thats something i have been hearing a lot. power wise how badly does the m7 lack compared to the 900? and as far as boondocking goes did you find the 162 to be too much? thanks

The 700 doesn't have the low end grunt of the 900, for sure. But they pull very well for a 700, I think they were rated around 137/138hp (compared to the 150hp 900). Peak HP is very comparable when you factor in the lighter weight and better flotation in the snow.

The 162 isn't bad at all boondocking, I can spin a nut just as easy as with a 153. In deep snow the extra flotation is a nice bonus. The 162 gets less track speed in firm snow though. It's always a tradeoff, it depends on the snow conditions you're looking at.

really hate to beat a dead horse but what is the deal with the 2005 and up m7s not all having efi? there is no way that all these sleds dont come with some sort of solution for altitude change. skidoo has been solving this problem since 96 with the HAC

H

high time

Nov 28, 2007
Duluth, MN
never heard that before, no efi on an M-7?

That's a new one. The hp feel between a M-7 and a 900 Cat upright is huge. The M chassis is worth some hp though and it did supprise some of us King Cat guys how close they might get on a hill. There's such a thing as comming on too hard out of the hole, the ease of power flow works good for the M-sleds. But I love the kick I get with my 975 mod King and a Challenger Extreme 2.5'' 162''. Life is good.

Owen

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
They did make a few carbed M7s, my brother has one. Not many though, the vast majority are EFI.

I'm sticking with the 1M (partially cause of my motor, I don't think there's any way we're sticking a 1500 triple in an M, but I really do prefer the chassis)

Having said that, the M series does very well on the hill, even with less hp. The first year my brother had an M7, he could nearly match the marks of our King Cats. It took longer to get there, but it would get there.

If a mark on the hill were the only thing (and money were no object), I'd probably be on an M1000, I just don't like the way they feel. Most people do seem to prefer the M chassis.

i still like the idea of the 1m mostly because i dont like the rider forward positioning of the newer sleds (not sure if the m series is like that). that said i do need something with efi. if i can get a king cat with efi awesome, if not it looks like an m7 might be the issue

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
The M is more rider forward that the 1M, for sure. It's not quite a much as a rev or xp.

Unless you're changing elevation drastically, the carbed models aren't that big a hassle. You get it dialed in, and you're pretty much set.

Plus if you're ever going to mod, it becomes a lot cheaper to do, as you don't need a fuel control box (which is just more electronic crap to break.)

That being said, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding an EFI 900. There are quite a lot of them around.

snailbait

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2008
Utah
Oh come on, No seriously, the series 4 and the maverick are great tracks also! I think the series 4 is better then the maverick cause it is stiffer.

"THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!!"

LMAO:cheer2::focus:

S
Sep 16, 2010
Your photo is of a carb sled for sure-can see those mikumi carbs plain as day

EFIs use throttle bodies instead of carbs-there will be one where each of the carbs would be. The most obvious thing is that there will be a "fuel rail" running above and connecting the two throttle bodies.

The easiest way to spot an EFI, however, is on the outside under the handlebars. EFI sleds don't have a choke switch.

went and saw the sled and it looks in great shape. Probably will pick it up within the week. I think i might just buy it and then put an AtACC unit on it from holtzman. I have heard good things and with the kit it should work just as good as efi.

Premium Features