• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Track questions...please chime in w/ your thoughts.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
My sled is totally stock, except some clutching and gearing.

Kingcats didn't come with 10 tooth drivers stock. 8 tooth, 3.0 pitch. 19/43 gearing, is what came stock. 04's didn't have the anti-ratchets. The 05's did. Stock kingcat setup would be a good place to start. I prefer a lower gear. Some do, some don't. I can tell you I gained 10mph of track speed with clutches and gears alone. (Lower gear and more weight) I ride 3-6k feet though. I also use a j/s speed sensor, it takes the guesswork out of seeing gains or losses. The speedo's on sleds just are too hard to tell if you gained a few mph of track speed. I would pick somone you trust locally, and go with one persons advise. If you try to listen to all the peeps on here, you will be confused and your sled will run worse. Way too many variables for everyone, from anywhere to give good advise. Good luck! -00's

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Kingcats didn't come with 10 tooth drivers stock. 8 tooth, 3.0 pitch. 19/43 gearing, is what came stock. 04's didn't have the anti-ratchets. The 05's did. Stock kingcat setup would be a good place to start. I prefer a lower gear. Some do, some don't. I can tell you I gained 10mph of track speed with clutches and gears alone. (Lower gear and more weight) I ride 3-6k feet though. I also use a j/s speed sensor, it takes the guesswork out of seeing gains or losses. The speedo's on sleds just are too hard to tell if you gained a few mph of track speed. I would pick somone you trust locally, and go with one persons advise. If you try to listen to all the peeps on here, you will be confused and your sled will run worse. Way too many variables for everyone, from anywhere to give good advise. Good luck! -00's

You are correct the kings did come with 8 tooth 3 inch pitch but the regular MC came with 10 tooth 2.52 pitch and a challenger track.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Drivers, gears ect.

Going West- Thanks, I did not know that MC's came with 10 tooth 2.52's stock. I'll remember that one. Batman- I run a way differant setup than most. My gears are 18/46. I really like my setup, other than I lost alot of road speed.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
where do you ride out west. the PC is the best track you'll find for Cooke City. and the finger lugs help with cooling on hard pack they throw snow every where. Its the only track i'd use unless I rode mainly spring snow with a turbo.

U

U turn

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Ardrossan, AB
Going West- Thanks, I did not know that MC's came with 10 tooth 2.52's stock. I'll remember that one. Batman- I run a way differant setup than most. My gears are 18/46. I really like my setup, other than I lost alot of road speed.

So geared down that much, what did you do for clutching?

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
what was the speed sensor you were talking about.

Seems revs need those too, with just that tiny speedo to look at..

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
what was the speed sensor you were talking about.

Seems revs need those too, with just that tiny speedo to look at..

I believe he is referring to a jackshaft RPM sensor. Here is the Digatron description:

Jackshaft RPM Sensor (RPM2)
The Jackshaft RPM function uses a magnetic pick up. The sensor detects the passing of any ferrous object (steel bolt head or nut, etc.). Mount the sensor so that any ferrous object rotating on the jackshaft passes within 1/16″ (or less) of the sensor. The sensor can pick up any number of ferrous objects on the jackshaft that are evenly spaced, one or two objects is preferable.

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Not trying to hijack the thread..........

U-turn, I added a whole lot of weight. My setup is alot like an M8, since the motors are pretty close in size. Ruffrider, The Idcatman is correct. I use a Digatron j/s sensor. It would be almost impossible to see 1 or 2 maybe even 5 MPH on a speedo. The jackshaft sensor is very simple to see gains or losses. I feel it is an awesome clutch tuning tool. If you like to tinker, like I do. Here is a pic, not a very good one, but you can see what it looks like -00's
DSCN0506.jpg

Last edited:

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
2zeros...

Interesting. I never heard of that before, but I guess it makes sense, in that your jack shaft speeds are much higher then your drive shaft speeds, so changes in drive shaft speeds will be shown as larger changes in jack shaft speed.

Cool stuff. I wonder if they make stand alone kits? I guess I will have to let my fingers do the walking.

thanks

oh, and sorry for the ot..

Premium Features