• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finally!

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
A Section for all of us die hards running the 1M chassis!
This is the way it is now, runs a lot harder after I put some time into tuning it up!
P2180263.jpg

First day owning it!

Post #1 in new section

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
Hood

You can see the 2 straps on the nose cone, all I did was use the cat hood straps. I used a die grinder to make the holes for the straps, and used the same straps for the stock strap location. Hope this helps

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
?

Not sure what you mean, but it started life as a 04 Kingcat. CR Racing built it. Mostly it's all the engine work that's the hardest and time consuming. I was told it was a 100 hours to do the pipes. I bought the sled all done and I added the 162 Camo Extreme, Floats, Supertorquer Secondary, Hood, Ski's, stuff like that.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
HILCLMR, how's that engine holding up I've been a fan of cat triples since my 96 zrt 8. Does CR Racing do a good job of building these motors and making them durable?

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
Triples

They are like any other 250hp engine, maintenance....
Really the options with those engines are almost limitless. Mine is the smallest that CR has built, at 1300cc's using stock 900 twin top end jugs, pistons, heads, rods. I could do the M1000 mods for 1500cc's, or put 1010 jugs on for 1650cc's, or 1160 jugs for 1740cc's. But as far as getting 240-250hp on pump gas they are bullet proof for 1300cc's. Yes the engine is heavy, 150lbs assembled, but like a turbo sled when your on the power it's as light as a feather (Almost), and the sled is still around 500lbs. So I could still lighten it more just need a reason too.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
WOW! Didn't realize the 1300 put ou that much power. What about the counterbalnce shaft. That's what happened too my zrt. water pump seal went bad rusted the bearings and in 2 hours pretty much destroyed the bottom end. Was not aware that the water pump seal was leaking. Put a hole in the bottom case with broken teeth from the balance gear.

H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house

This isn't a T-Cat based engine, it 2 900 twins cut and welded together to make the triple. 900 cranks are assembled as a triple also. There are no counterbalance shafts or crap like that. Uses T-Cat ignition parts and that's it, everything else I can bolt on to a twin works.

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I don't know exactly how CR Racing does their cases, but this is how we did ours:

2007_1020cat-triple0249.jpg

Size comparison with the stock twin case:
sizecomparison.jpg

We used a modified 900 twin ignition and SLP pipes instead of D&Ds, but pretty close to the same thing. Spent many hours looking at pics of HILCLMRs pipes to try and fit ours under the twin hood, finally gave up.

IMG_0811.jpg

Going to try to roll cones for the next set, maybe they'll be prettier.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Thanks for clearing up the engine mod. Idcat what roughly is the cost for everything for the motor of one of those you guys build? Is it possible to curl the pipes more ram horn style more stood up if that makes any sense if hood clearance is not an issue? What is estimated hp on your 1500?or is it a 1300? Is there a suzuki outboard triple ignition that can be used? Just curious. I found a 1M roller chassis for a good price and would be interested in a triple of some sort.( After thought) If the pipes cleared the spark plugs enough to change them that would be good. Do you smooth out the weld in the center intake? Probably a stupid question but had to ask. Pm with the details if you like thanks...
Kelly

Last edited:

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I'll do the salesman pitch in a PM, but for the rest of the stuff:

The first two sets of pipes were cut and fit SLP twin pipes. For the next set, we are going to try taking some measurements of the SLP pipes and roll our own cones to make the fitting easier. Theoretically you can do anything you want with the pipes, we're just not sure how many sets we want to build :D Depending on how the next idea goes, it may get a lot easier. The biggest clearance issue we were having with the pipes was the STM exhaust valves. I believe HILCLMR's has block off plates installed, we figured we'd try to keep the valves functional.

Ours is a 1460, using M1000 pistons, estimated sea level hp is probably ~280-290. We haven't had it dynoed, and we are running pretty low compression on it, and stock 900 twin timing (12.5 degrees wide open) so we may be a bit lower than that. It will run with a race gas M8 on top end, with way more power through the bottom and mid-range. Haven't been around a race gas M1000, but the M12 on 14lbs was much faster... (he said he's been dynoed at over 400 hp, so that's to be expected :rolleyes:)

The only ignitions I've heard of being used on motors like these are T-cat ignitions, or MSD. We're the first ones I know of that have the box reprogrammed and still use the 900 twin stator and CDI. We do use a T-cat flywheel. For the next one, we're probably going to have a couple degrees of timing added to just the top end of the curve.

We smooth out all the welds on the inside of the cases and have them decked and line bored. We also mill part of the bottom flat and put a torque plate on the bottom of the motor bridging the weld. That plus the mono head makes me feel comfortable with the welds. The mono head we have runs Speedwerx inserts.

I'm sure CR racing does most if not all of the same things to the bottom end.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
Sounds good! Did you get what I meant about the pipes curling up over the heads? cause I'm thinking about a modified snopro racer hood and steering hoop, which would open up some more room over the engine. I like the sounds of the conservative power out put, better safe than sorry. I like power just not ragged edge power. Hence a triple. I had an SS chevelle with a big block soo, go figure. The nose weight doesn't bother me I don't need to wheelie everywhere I go. I rode a 96 zrt 8 with a 136 on Mt. Baker so am aware of the handling of a nose heavy sled, which by the way, once I dialed in the suspension wasn't that bad. I can't wait to try something with a longer track been off the snow too long. I like that you use a motor plate, I think ALL engines in this application should have them, along with one piece head covers. Not in a huge hurry to do this project but probably over the winter will be gettin er done. I know, you are suppose to ride them in the winter well, next year. Just want to get started with a chassis now and move forward from there. Thanks for the response.

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
Your moms house
triples

Mine has a 2 degree key in it and I'm running Av 100LL just for security. It's a lot crisper thru out the RPM's and pulls a lot harder!
If you look on CR's website it'll give you an idea of cost for the cases and crank. They are not cheap to build so brace yourself.....;)

Premium Features