• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Grippers or powder pros???? What's better and why

Speed Shop Inc.

Premium Member
Nov 4, 2009
Cannon Falls, MN
www.speedshopinc.com
slp vote

i love the Mohawks on the Cats! They work! I hate the stock skis

We started putting them on the ProLite snowmobiles in 2016, and haven't looked back. Just so much more predictable than the stock ones. And they don't catch like the stock ones do if there is a crust on top after a warm day.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Its odd that if the gripper are so good, why are the Polaris guys so quick to get rid on them.

SSSHHHHHHHHH!!! be quiet!!

I rely on that shlt.

I have yet to ride any aftermarket ski on any sled, powder pros especially, that aren't just too dam stiff in soft and varied snow. Sun crust? Forget about it on those planks. The flex of the grippers just own in pretty every snow condition.

What's crazy to me is just how much the current cat ski tried to copy the grippers. Hold them up next to one another and measure them back to back. They're almost identical. But the flex pattern of the cat ski just doesn't work. They're practically the same damn dimensions. But it's just not there.

I'd kinda like to see a wider mohawk. One that's a little softer as well. That shape isn't bad but it still doesn't nail it quite yet.

Last edited:

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Not to hijack the thread but this seems like a good place for ski discussion, has anyone tried the C&A BX on the ascender?

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Skis....one size does not fit all and never will. For some reason, sledders are fixed on choosing a single ski type, for the most part, and sticking with it. But they are simply reactive to pressure/force or the snow conditions. Some days the huge Simmons would be great and other days a narrow, biting pair are best. I would love to have three or four types...but that is expensive. Look at snow skiing and the evolution there..most skiers have long stiff GS sets for hardpack groomer days...medium width and stiffness for intermediate snow and soft floaters for POW. Sleds should have the same. It is all about flotation and the right amount of edge pressure and bit. No single ski will work everyday.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Not to hijack the thread but this seems like a good place for ski discussion, has anyone tried the C&A BX on the ascender?

They are way too heavy. I should weigh them, but they feel 2-3lbs heavier per ski. And they dont have as much flex as the grippers. Grippers are the best all around ski for every type of snow condition you may encounter. And they are the lightest Ive found. I dont think there is a ski out there I havent tried other than slydogs. But I hear they are too flimsy.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
No single ski will work everyday.

Of course not.

But on most mtn sleds (say polaris, skidoo, and Arctic Cat) grippers are the best ski at working well in almost all conditions. :D
In all seriousness, that's the basis for the praise.

Think of them like a 105mm waist ski with camber underfoot and a rockered tip or tail. Not too much where those don't work.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Curious as to whether anyone has ridden the 18 Mtn Cat with the stock skis for a few days, and then switched to something else. Seems most people just automatically put on whatever’s Ski they have always used. Before I spend the money to replace a brand new set of skis I’d like to know that they really need replacing. And with so many changes to the sled, and possibly changes to the skis it would be nice to here some direct experience. Once I get on snow I could try the Powder Pros from my 2014 on the 2018 after a few days to see what the difference is.

S
Nov 5, 2014
Curious as to whether anyone has ridden the 18 Mtn Cat with the stock skis for a few days, and then switched to something else. Seems most people just automatically put on whatever’s Ski they have always used. Before I spend the money to replace a brand new set of skis I’d like to know that they really need replacing. And with so many changes to the sled, and possibly changes to the skis it would be nice to here some direct experience. Once I get on snow I could try the Powder Pros from my 2014 on the 2018 after a few days to see what the difference is.
So what did you conclusion did you come to in the 18 ski?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Jury still out, but definitely not a disaster like the pre 2016 skis. Will be riding again this Friday/Saturday and going to compare to the 2014 which is runniñg Powder Pros.

S
Nov 5, 2014
Jury still out, but definitely not a disaster like the pre 2016 skis. Will be riding again this Friday/Saturday and going to compare to the 2014 which is runniñg Powder Pros.
I have been looking at the different skis. The grippers to me just seem too similar to these stockers.

I think I am gonna put my runners in the hydraulic press and put a little more curve in the front and then some in the back.

With the runner out the ski is pretty flexible and I think it will conform to whatever shape the runner is.

Right now there is alot of runner making contact with my shop floor. Needs some more rocker IMO.

In deep snow the ski performs flawlessly.
I really like it.

Just in marginal snow it seems to privide to much feedback to the bars.

But am not sure if that is a characteristic of the steering setup or the ski.....

gp800

Premium Member
Sep 25, 2017
Is anyone else finding that the stock ski seems too heavily loaded to the rear? almost like the spindle is mounted too far back on the ski? if there is any crust or setting the front end down whether be from a jump or a wheelie they want to stand up and stuff the nose of the sled into the snow.

ranger12

Lifetime Membership
Nov 24, 2012
Dickinson ND
Personally I have tried a lot of skis on all of the Proclimb models and the Ascender. I used to really like the Powder Pro but Have switched to the Mohawk ever since the new narrower front end came out. The powder Pro still has its place on the Ascender but not like the Mohawk does for all around riding every day no matter how or where you ride. Now the next question that I get is, is it worth it to switch skis. I tell everyone that the factory ski is much better now than the older ones were, but is the Mohawk $400 better than the factory ski? Yes there is a difference but if you are limited on money I would spend the $400 somewhere else first. The gripper ski is a darn good ski on the Ascender also!

S
Nov 5, 2014
Is anyone else finding that the stock ski seems too heavily loaded to the rear? almost like the spindle is mounted too far back on the ski? if there is any crust or setting the front end down whether be from a jump or a wheelie they want to stand up and stuff the nose of the sled into the snow.
I think you may be on to something here.
It does seem like there is significantly more pressure behind the spindle vs infront or directly under.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The mount location on the stock skis is a lot of the issue with them providing inconsistent handling. Grippers have a similar shape and width, but look at the mounting point in comparison. The new ones float much better than the old ones, but handling is lacking. Look up how "trail" affects dirt bike handling to get an idea of how significant it is. The cat ski leaves less ski area in the snow when you're on edge and countersteering.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
ProClimb 7 Ski

Just replaced the AC ProClimb 7 skis on my '17 Mountain Cat with Polaris Grippers; Thanks to all posters on the great advice & installation instructions. My question is would the ProClimb skis be an improvement on my back-up '10 M8 sled? Would all the axle spindles, dampeners, bolts & spacers from the '17 fit the older'10? Or should I just leave the'10 stock skis in place? :juggle:

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Great discussion about skis....Grippers.

I think Kidwoo brought up a great point about the Gripper. One that makes them such a universally great ski: Their ability to flex in comparison to many other skis.

But this also comes at a price (on a Polaris). The question was asked why so many Polaris riders get rid of the Gripper? Customization is one reason but another is Safety. Polaris has been plagued with very premature ski rubber blow out and the skis going full vertical at the most inopportune times. This almost always causes a magnificent ejection of the rider.

Why does this happen? Mostly because of how soft the ski is. HDPE will self extrude under high loads.

Below are some pics of my Grippers after only 300 hundred miles and a full vertical ski plant that resulted in a major rider ejection.

I think this proves Kidwoo's point of how soft these skis are and their ability to flex.

junk 1.jpg junk 3.jpg junk 4.jpg

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Great discussion about skis....Grippers.

I think Kidwoo brought up a great point about the Gripper. One that makes them such a universally great ski: Their ability to flex in comparison to many other skis.

But this also comes at a price (on a Polaris). The question was asked why so many Polaris riders get rid of the Gripper? Customization is one reason but another is Safety. Polaris has been plagued with very premature ski rubber blow out and the skis going full vertical at the most inopportune times. This almost always causes a magnificent ejection of the rider.

Why does this happen? Mostly because of how soft the ski is. HDPE will self extrude under high loads.

Below are some pics of my Grippers after only 300 hundred miles and a full vertical ski plant that resulted in a major rider ejection.

I think this proves Kidwoo's point of how soft these skis are and their ability to flex.

Like you say, that's a polaris spindle/rubber damper problem though. I've got a pair of grippers with probably 3k miles on them I've had on two different sleds that aren't ovalized. The difference like you said is I've used wide cat rubber dampers on them the whole time, up against wider cat spindles.

I have some iq chassis RMKs I use for work with about 800 miles on them. They're a little ovalized.

The plastic on the grippers isn't anything special or unique. When I talk about flex I'm talking about the thickness profile front to rear, not the ribs where the bolt mounts. Those just get torqued on excessively by everything else on the polaris spindles. That's how they get 'flickable' :D

But yeah polaris riders ditching them is a good system for us cat riders. I hope it keeps up

Last edited:
S
Nov 5, 2014
Geez I donno, skis are a bit of a bear in low snow but I am guess I am lucky I don't have to go out in this conditions.

1-5ft of fresh the skis float really well, hold a side hill and do not dart in the trees.

Personal preference I guess, but I am just not seeing the issues so far. On the 18 cat anyways. First time on a cat too.

Premium Features