• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Turbo etec IAT's

chad006

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2015
Hey guys, I'm runnin a non intercooled aero on my xm. Just curious if anybody has installed a guage and tested non intercooled vs intercooled charge temps? I'm tryin to decide if I wanna build a water to air setup for myself or go to snow to air. And I'm just curious as to what kinda charge temps you guys are seein.
Thanks!

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
I just installed a sensor in mine over the summer, mainly out of curiosity and I had an extra. It is plumbed into Aeros snow/air cooler.

I have only had one ride with it and didn't pay mutch attention yet but going up the trail in and out of the boost (9lbs) I seem to remember it was reading 98 degrees.

More testing needed I will let you know in a few weeks as our snow isn't very good yet

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Just following up a little on IAT's with the Aero. I have an incredibly vented sled. Its practically swiss cheese with Aero in the normal location.

Running 9-10 lbs over the last couple winters with the Air/Snow Airbox, I would see a max intake temp of about 170F on long pulls. It would cool back off to the low 100s on the trail. I would also see quite a bit of RPM fade as the heat built up.

Recently this spring I installed a fresh air intake using a 4" to 3" elbow reducer off the turbo and then just some high temp silicon tubing routed up to a hole by the dash with a unipod and prefilter (thanks nuttyn01) I cut windows in the unipod so it would let lots of air in but still have its shape and flexibility.

The result was incredible.

IAT's dropped 65 degrees. I have been seeing 108F max on the same big pulls and thats in 50 degree weather. RPMs consistently held where they were supposed to. No noticeable bottom end difference. I had to drop two clicks running the same boost. My guess is there were a few HPs hiding in that 65 degrees...

IMO... I should have done this years ago

kfa670

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Max,

I have to say it was one of, if not the best mod I ever did to my beat up old turbo sled

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
Cold air is a must!

Its no surprise your intake air temps dropped 65 degrees. My first turbo 2S wouldn't even run without gurgling and spitting without a fresh air intake! Night and day. Just ask any turbo builder.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Put a intake air temp gauge on my aero, a few years back and I also run a cold air intake.. Even on long runs its real hard now to get much over 100f, made a big difference grabbing cold air, run boast to 8 lbs most of time

Premium Features