• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Wiseco Piston Kit

SnowBaller

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
Hi All
I have a 2014 800 RMK Assault that is low on compression and looks to need a top end rebuild. I've searched and read the many threads about different rebuild kits and fix-it kits. Being a 2104 I don't believe it needs a fix-it kit, just a rebuild. I'm looking to keep everything stock or near stock.

In my looking around I've came across the Wiseco Piston Kit. They have a couple different kit #'s depending on the model year; SK1396(MY11-12) and SK1398(MY13-15). I believe the only difference is are slightly different gaskets, but a could be wrong on this. Does anyone have experience with these kits, or Wiseco in general?

I've contacted Wiseco and can get the kit for $395 shipped. Any reason I should go with them over stock OEM? Going OEM would be around $450+ accounting for everything that is included in the Wiseco kit.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
none with that kit but 11 to 15 pistons all update to the same part number ,the 11/12 cylinders have a different skirt diameter than the 13/15 so a different base gasket is needed. idone a bunch of kits on pros , i like the rkt stock replacement pistons or the mtn tech kit , they rkt's really smooth out the vibrations though .

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
The Wiseco piston kit is all you need. Excellent kit. Got one in my '12 RMK and has never ran better. Even better than when new. Significant vibration reduction. Put it in at roughly 1800 miles. Currently at about 3600 miles. No issues, still great compression.

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
call curt at fastrax 253-848-0908. You want to use a cast piston in these engines and not a forged piston. We have pistons in stock and they are cast pistons and are ceramic coated. Cheaper than factory pistons

rmkboxer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Bonney lake WA
Why cast over forged? Stock/OEM are cast, correct?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

the skirts will collapse faster on a forged piston. so in reality you would have to replace your pistons in half the time. when the skirts collapse they will beat the cylinder and will then crack. unfortunately with mono cylinders this is the case.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Ditto on the cast pistons!!! Read Indy Dan!! IMO, put new rings on the Polaris pistons already in the engine . Of course, look at your stock pistons thru the ports and exhaust valve openings before you tear it down and look for scoring ,but I think Indy Dan is right, That being, stock pistons will probably run thru two or three sets of rings and do not hone the cylinders!!!!, just put new rings on old pistons and back in the cylinders Make sure you check/look at the reeds also and ride another year or two!
Of course this all depends on your inspections and observations! I have a 12 800 PRO to do in the next month or so. This will be my endeavor on the way in.
gtwitch in wyoming

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
Ditto on the cast pistons!!! Read Indy Dan!! IMO, put new rings on the Polaris pistons already in the engine . Of course, look at your stock pistons thru the ports and exhaust valve openings before you tear it down and look for scoring ,but I think Indy Dan is right, That being, stock pistons will probably run thru two or three sets of rings and do not hone the cylinders!!!!, just put new rings on old pistons and back in the cylinders Make sure you check/look at the reeds also and ride another year or two!
Of course this all depends on your inspections and observations! I have a 12 800 PRO to do in the next month or so. This will be my endeavor on the way in.
gtwitch in wyoming
this is the worst advise i've seen in a long time ,DO NOT REUSE POLARIS PISTONS , they have issues with the skirts on the stock pistons especially the 11/12 pistons . the rocking that the poor fit causes is what breaks the cylinder skirt and destroys these motors.
if your workmanship is good and you put a good quality piston in this motor you will be fine for many more miles .

SnowBaller

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
I've wondered about reusing the pistons and just replacing the rings. If it is indeed just the rings that are bad all else is good to go. I've never read/heard of it but I'm also no expert, not even close. Since the sled is a '14 it does have the better pistons as compared to '11/'12.

I've read through the Indy Dan threads and I'm thinking I'll just stick with OEM parts. Just replace stock with stock. If he can make a long rod motor with a 3 year warranty using Polaris parts then they should be more than good enough for me.

I would like to hear more evidence for or against reusing the pistons. Just trying to learn more before I get deeper into this process.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Yeah, don't ever replace just rings. Especially in these Poo engines. The forged versus cast debate is just silly. Either will work fine. This isn't rocket science. Get stock pistons or the Wisecos or Rtks. They all work.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
I agree with the comments on the debate on forged vs cast however the rider must always adhere to the warm-up protocol and more so with forged pistons. The idea of using used pistons is only upon inspection and past riding use/abuse. I have always replaced pistons with new when freshening the top end or overhauling and have boxes of used pistons on the shelf. Some of these used stock pistons look like new and IMO could be used successfully with new rings! On the other hand, I have (more than once) put in forged pistons in measured and honed cylinders only to run less than 100 miles and need to replace again Don't need to pass on the brand names here. This is where I say "use CAST Only" and I am very selective/particular on the type of ring end closure used! And , again I put a lot of faith in the experience of Indy Dan, his shared writings, and furthermore in my own experience in the last 25+ years in the shop and on the trail/back country riding of more than 25k + miles and some race time and building also.
gtwitch in wyoming

Premium Features