• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are ZR 900 parts compatible with the 1m, Mtn Cat, King Cat 900s?

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Hello,

I have been scanning ebay for parts for my 2005 Arctic Cat King Cat. I am search for Cylinders mostly (would ZR 900 cylinders work for my King Cat?), along with them I am looking to re work the color scheme on the sled to mostly black with a little orange, can I use the plastics off of other ZR chassis? do they even have to be from a 900 ZR? Is all the suspension compatible in the front also? Would a ZR 440 of the same era front suspension work on the front of king cat? I dont want 440 suspension on my King Cat, I am just trying to get a feel for how compatible all the parts are from down to a ZR 440 up to a 900 King Cat excluding the motor and rear skids obviously.

Respectfully: 507Sledz

Last edited:

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Mostly parts will interchange. Engine parts are all the same except for the cdi boxes and some carburetor jets. The plastic parts will interchange from most 2001 and newer Z. ZL, ZR, mountain cat and 1M. Biggest difference will be where the exhaust exits the belly pan. Front supension A arms will bolt up to the bulkhead but there were several different ski stances and spindle styles available, 39, 40, 41 and 43 inches. Might have been a 37 too, don't remember for sure. If you go swapping pieces I don't think you would want a different ski stance from side to side unless you were only planning on cornering or sidehilling the same direction all the time. LOL
Look in 'Who has the best looking sled' under Idcatman3's posts to see some pics of 1m sleds with ZR parts and other misc color schemes

507Sledz

Jan 27, 2014
Mostly parts will interchange. Engine parts are all the same except for the cdi boxes and some carburetor jets. The plastic parts will interchange from most 2001 and newer Z. ZL, ZR, mountain cat and 1M. Biggest difference will be where the exhaust exits the belly pan. Front supension A arms will bolt up to the bulkhead but there were several different ski stances and spindle styles available, 39, 40, 41 and 43 inches. Might have been a 37 too, don't remember for sure. If you go swapping pieces I don't think you would want a different ski stance from side to side unless you were only planning on cornering or sidehilling the same direction all the time. LOL
Look in 'Who has the best looking sled' under Idcatman3's posts to see some pics of 1m sleds with ZR parts and other misc color schemes

Ok, I think I will be doing a front dump exhaust anyway, so I shouldnt have a issue with the hole lining up?? As for my Ski stance I am going to try and suck it in as far as possible and I will go with Fabcraft A-arms, unless there is a better option these days???

I have looked at that thread! some pretty nice sleds! As parts get harder to find for these 1M's I just wanted to get a feel for what would and wont bolt right up. I dont plan on selling this sled mostly because its hardly worth anything these days anyway and its still a good sled for a spare, or significant other to use outwest!

P.S. When I was scanning through ebay at ZR 900 motors I seen a motor that they said was a short block zr 900 motor? What is the short for? Does it have a smaller stroke or something? Or is it the same as my King Cat motor?

Thanks for the helpful info

Last edited:

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Likely means it does not have any of the electrical parts on it, stator , flywheel etc. It is important to know that the carbureted engines have a slightly different crankshaft and crankcase than the EFI ones when you are buying parts. If you are looking at the same one I see on ebay for $1700, that is plenty expensive for one with over 4000 miles. You can buy a whole sled for that. The cylinders and other top end parts will interchange between carb and EFI.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I have a set of the fab craft aarms and they have been great hit a tree once very hard and they didn't bend and the bulk head is still straight. I have never broke any yet. I think your good to go on them. I would give rv sports in Mn a call and see if they have anything for you that your interested in ask for Troy. They are right across from the factory if they don't have it or can't get it it's going to be a tough find. They are usually pretty good about prices too.

Premium Features