• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Reverse Bolt Breakage Issue Update

B

brad952

Mar 8, 2009
Add another one to the list. Took my case off to change track and the bolt is broke. Just my luck, more things to fix.

K
Dec 14, 2009
Nytro reverse bolt breakage update

So I blew up a chain case in my 08 nytro with 1200 miles on sled. I checked chain case fluid and tension 10 miles before my explosion. WTF yamaha. I'm a ROOKIE to this sight and have just now found out about this reverse issue. My dealer knows nothing about and they really suck to work with anyway. I contacted yamaha and I think they do know about it. Any IDEAS's on a resolution ? I do not want to put it back together without a solution.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
when installing the track shaft after replacing all the bearings, it seems that the bolt is the only thing locating the track shaft. After that bolt is attached, you then tighten down the lock screws on the pto side being collar. I wonder if the breakage has something to do with this?

Also, for anyone who has had theirs all taken apart, the aluminum side plates are pretty flexible. The are not as stiff as you would assume.

K
Dec 14, 2009
So, I talked to yamaha and they will only speak with a authorized yammi dealer. So my dealer calls yammi and yamaha tells my dealer they do know about this bolt breaking and backing out and say that the bolt once it backs out or breaks it can not fall into the chain or chain case. I think I might have proved them wrong..... They also say it is in a new letter to come out very soon ??? I'm S.O.L on a few hundred in parts and labor on this rig. Makes me want get rid of it before I'm the test dummy for another recall/service issue. Whats next ?>? Only Yammi knows......

H
Nov 28, 2007
Revelstoke
500 kms without the bolt and no reverse issues at all. The bolt broke twice in mine and still worked fine when broken. My dealer said 9 out of 10 that come in are broken and in a round about way told me you don't need the bolt. Do whatever your dealer says but if your warranty is up (like mine) I suggest you leave the bolt out. Just my 2 cents.

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
2009 Nytro MTX changed the track and original bolt was fine. Reinstalled and torqued loctited to spec.

Went to change gearing and bolt fell out along with Reverse gear.

Unlike every other bolt pictured, mine has an unthreaded shoulder about an inch long on it.

I put chaincase back together without the bolt and now I have the replacement-- not sure when I'll bother to install it. Seems like removing the broken bolt from inside the hole is going to be a pain in my ***!

S

SylvanLaker

Nov 26, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB. Canada
Possible fix?? pls read...

So I have chimed in on this problem a few times as everytime my case was apart the bolt was broken. So I decided to look into it. Something I tried was loosening the locknuts on the bearing on the left side of the driveshaft. I figured maybe the bolt was getting to much stress over time axially due to the bearing not being able to float. Since I have done this I have put on over 1200 km and I took the case apart and no problems. I also used lots of loctite and only torqued it to 30 ft/lbs.. This may not be the fix but it seems to be working at least. you guys should try it and post back on here if it works on your sleds too..

Shermanator

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Sicamous
www.reelfishingadventues.net
When I swaped my track out I too had that bolt broken off. I checked with the local Yammy dealer who says that just about every sled that comes in has that bolt busted off but, could give no reasons why or solutions. Mabye you've come up with the magic fix! Sherm

T

Tarzannr1

Aug 16, 2010
North in Norway
www.youtube.com
Anyone have an actual picture this broken bolt? Heard a lot about it but yet to see a picture of it..

Here is mine from my 09 xtx, BROKEN!!Add another one to the list.
ForlengingavNytroen016.jpg

ForlengingavNytroen015.jpg

ForlengingavNytroen013.jpg

ForlengingavNytroen014.jpg

Last edited:

Sleds R Fun

Premium Member
Dec 31, 2007
BC
I'm on my 4th or 5th bolt also. I believe the shaft is flexing more than we think maybe that's why loosing the PTO bearing hex lock screws helps the bolt. Another reason that makes me think the shaft Is flexing is because my drivers are always walking out of align.

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
wow, i cant believe what i just read! this is a two year old thread, any fixes from yamaha yet?

one thing to think about tho guys, if the new bolt you use is too strong and doesnt give, what will? i think i would rather tap out a bolt that "doesnt even need to be there" than have the the chaincase blow up. im not sure whats going on in there,but i know i have had a lot of problems with it slipping out of reverse until i saw the lever was hitting the foothole. ive only rode it twice since i fixed that, but no reverse issues. (maybe the bolt finally broke?)

did anyone notice any performance issues to hint toward these bolts breaking? im thinking i should tear into mine and look, just to make sure there is no broken bolt, or from what i have been reading, to make sure there IS a broken bolt.

i wish i wudda seen this thread three weeks ago when i had it torn apart already.:face-icon-small-dis

dantiede

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
This is what I would like to know also...there was another thread where guys say they are just leaving the bolt out???

I haven't taken mine apart yet...like ruffryder said, what bolt is it, what does it do, and what is causing it to break...inquiring minds want to know!!

thanks
modsledr
I just had mine appart (track change out) and the bolt was fine. The bolt is there to hold the gears together with the proper spring tension on the forward and reverse gears. If the bolt was to break it is still held in place by a snap ring. I suspect the bolt is sheering from going back to forward before the RPM's have come down. When those gears mate up, theres no give and the weekest link is the bolt.

S
Oct 24, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Can't read all the damn posts in this thread without paying for a membership, what crap is that! I'll slink back over to TY4 where advice and help is still free.

Regardless of what snowest has going on over here I just wanted to say that I've read a lot about this problem through a few different forums and most guys are just removing the bolt and not replacing it (not needed.)

Ok, hate away I can't read your replies anyway.

Premium Features