• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What’s the #1 snowmobile destination western USA?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
What’s the #1 snowmobile destination western USA?

We have a group of 8 intermediate/advanced riders all of us have avalanche training. This year for our annual trip we are switching it up from revelstoke and want to experience what the best mountain riding destination is in the US. For the sake of travel time we will likely want to stay within Montana, Idaho, Washington and possibly can go as far as Wyoming and Utah. Hoping your input will narrow down our choices

Thanks

Idahome Clansy

Premium Member
Dec 9, 2016
Togwotee in Wyoming!

Its hard to beat a good day at Tog! They have nice cabins you can rent out, tons of area to ride, varying types of terrain as well. Its a walk out your cabin and ride in paradise!

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Year after year, western Wyoming has the best snow on average. Its august 26th and they have currently have a winter weather advisory for the next 2 days.
Togwotee is one of the areas that doesnt really get effected by what kind of winter we are going to have. They are kind of in the middle of the systems so they usually end up with snow even on the bad years.
Have fun where ever you end up!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Island park can be VERY hot and miss on the quality of snow.
When it’s good it’s great.

Tog is almost always a great ride. I head there several times a year.

When Cooke is good it’s freaking UNBELIEVABLE.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
What about McCall? I remember reading years ago in snowest mag they always ranted and raved about McCall. I’m kinda thinking of ruling out Montana cause that’s always an easy weekend trip

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
What about McCall? I remember reading years ago in snowest mag they always ranted and raved about McCall. I’m kinda thinking of ruling out Montana cause that’s always an easy weekend trip

You can rule out Montana. No problem.
We'll wave as we unload, while you drive on by. Lol

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
To be honest, not at all sure why from fernie you would head south. Different snow for sure, but head more NW into BC, its just consistently gets so much more snow as well as more consistent better snow.

Obviously coming down from Fernie everything in NW Montana is pretty close and im sure you have hit it. Any farther away stuff is fun but its more hit and miss as the enviroments are more high high desert so you either get big fluffy dry storms or its moderate quality and OK coverage.

But thats all just my opinion on things.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
To be honest, not at all sure why from fernie you would head south. Different snow for sure, but head more NW into BC, its just consistently gets so much more snow as well as more consistent better snow.

Obviously coming down from Fernie everything in NW Montana is pretty close and im sure you have hit it. Any farther away stuff is fun but its more hit and miss as the enviroments are more high high desert so you either get big fluffy dry storms or its moderate quality and OK coverage.

But thats all just my opinion on things.

Our group wants to switch it up a little have always done a yearly ride to Somewhere out of town. Rode many areas of B.C. The majority wants to go check out some new terrain in the U.S. plus we love drinking cheap beer and even after currency exchange trip costs can be a little cheaper.

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Pretty tough but Cooke, Togwotee, and West Yellowstone would be the 3 I would look into.

Best chance of fresh snow and plenty of it will be Cooke, but the area is small and gets tracked out fast. Its also a dangerous place to ride, you need to make good decisions. Town is neat but somewhat limited on food and lodging options.

Togwotee is a huge area that pretty consistently has good snow. Not as much big terrain as Cooke, more short steep stuff it seems like. Lots of really good mild terrain and boondocking. The trail system is nicely marked and the trails groomed regularly so getting around is easy. You can stay at and ride from Togwotee Mountain Lodge or Lava Mountain OR stay in Dubois and trailer up 20min-hour each day. There are a few options in town to eat and stay.

West Yellowstone has everything and a lot of it. Lots of areas to ride. Lots of places to stay. Lots of places to eat and drink. Something for everyone here, its a fun town. The biggest drawback we have found here is that it’s alot of trail. 15-20 miles one way from town to thw good riding areas and the trails typically SUCK on the way back to town.

Having been to all 3 places multiple times it would be tough to pick one... typically its the snow conditions that make the trip. Any of the above should be a great time regardless.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
mccall sucks, i wouldnt come here. kidding aside, i love mccall, ive ridden snowy range and uintas and i wouldnt say they are any better or worse than mccall. depends on how much you want to spend too, mccall has good hotels 20 min from trailhead for a good price and the city has some decent nightlife if you are into that.

Utah, uintas has some great riding too and things to do after riding but honestly the problem i found with utah was its mostely high desert so it lacks in tree cover, great day after storms but doesnt really hold great snow due to sun baking.

all that said, mccall is basically my back door and the surrounding area is great, west mountain, deadwood all have rarely let me down.

dragonflats

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
st. james mn
if you go to West Yellowstone get a grooming schedule then plan what direction you go each day according to grooming schedule. Early-season grooming can be unpredictable though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Thanks for the info. Sounds like we are going to togwotee but gonna make time to either storm chase on the way down or way back to hit up a few other areas.

Premium Features