• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

200 mile maintenance.

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
Just about to turn 200 mi on my Gen 4 so since I had some time today I though I would pull it in the shop and give the once over before our next ride. This is what I found:

1. Probe was out of the pipe, so I re-installed and tightened it.
2. Belt deflection was way loose, so I tightened it.
3. Chain was loose, tightened it.
4. Very little belt dust, but blew out the clutches anyway and cleaned the faces.
5. Tightened the limiter one hole.
6. Filled with gas
7. Filled oil

Bottom line: The world is not falling because I found some things out of adjustment on my new sled. Sled is not shredding belts, in fact I had very little belt dust. Took me about 45 min. to check/adjust everything and now I'm ready to rock.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
The only thing I'd worry over the pipe temp probe falling out. Until Skidoo decides what they would like to do about it we just need to keep them in and tight. Unfortunately it will be quite often based on how mine has been.

B

blk9038

Aug 8, 2011
puyallup/edgewood
Just about to turn 200 mi on my Gen 4 so since I had some time today I though I would pull it in the shop and give the once over before our next ride. This is what I found:

1. Probe was out of the pipe, so I re-installed and tightened it.
2. Belt deflection was way loose, so I tightened it.
3. Chain was loose, tightened it.
4. Very little belt dust, but blew out the clutches anyway and cleaned the faces.
5. Tightened the limiter one hole.
6. Filled with gas
7. Filled oil

Bottom line: The world is not falling because I found some things out of adjustment on my new sled. Sled is not shredding belts, in fact I had very little belt dust. Took me about 45 min. to check/adjust everything and now I'm ready to rock.

Dang, and now you go and switch over to a 850 to ruin more pow, well I just picked up my 850 165" today too gotta do a few more compairisons here after first ride in morning. I will be in the powder all day and bet you won't find it either.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i just did the same thing

- my exhaust probe was still in. i did have the probe out once already when the sled was brand new to install my skid plate . i tightened the probe plenty tight, and it is still in there

- i got 2.5 turns out of my chain tensioner

- my belt was siting plenty low, so i adjusted it to sit flush with the secondary shives

- i think i am going to copy you and pull the limiter strap one hole tighter. this thing is a wheelie machine, even with a 165 behind it.

- i have normal belt dust, and i am on my original belt (i did clean all the oily crap off the belt and clutches when it was new, if that makes a difference)

- i think the 850 is using less oil during break in than the 800 used during break in. but i do believe it uses more gas. obviously its hard to compare that, but thats just my thoughts after putting 2500 miles on 2 800 etecs and now 110 on the 850

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
I've noticed that the gas gauge is not very accurate. Last ride I came back with zero bars and the gas pump icon flashing. When I filled up, it only took 7.5 gal. It's a little frustrating because you'll worry about running out when you get down to one bar, but in reality you have a lot of gas left.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i thought something was a little screwy with it too. i had 2 bars left, and i put in 1 5 gallon can, plus just a little more out of a 2nd can. so call it 5.5-6.0 gallons at 2 bars left

Premium Features