• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TS case guard options

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
J&M makes good stuff.... he made my new cargo rack for the 2015 kit and I really like how well made it is. However, I've never been a fan of the case guards. With the 2015 kits everyone talks about how the injection molded covers are too brittle (I've been through a couple myself) and add the case guard. Instead of breaking a $40 piece of plastic (or a $150 aluminum cover for the pre-2015 models) I've seen the guard take out the side panel before. Now you are out the guard, the cover, and a drive side panel... easily over $400 in damage.

Just something to think about....

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Rush, we're both on 13 kits, do you feel there's a difference between the build that makes them more ideal for the older ones, or make a point of getting a different one either way?

Mine basically took the face off with the hit I took (rock on edge of trail in 3rd... I was moving) and didn't damage anything else, it appears to have done a GREAT job in this particular situation.... being that it's bent up, I guess now would be the time to change if that was a prudent move.

If so, which one do you like?

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
It's one of those things where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't.... it all depends on what kind of hit you take. I think if you smashed a rock in the right way the case guard could be a bad thing (which is what I've seen) but if you graze something the guard can be helpful. In the end I just see it as one more part to replace so I just run without it.

M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
For the older style timbersleds I like the DOC guard, all of the leading edges are angled so it doesn't grab stuff, it really helps the side panels from getting bent. I ran one and had no issues with multiple hits on it..

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The hit I took on Sunday the M5 guard would have toasted my cover. it sheared the face of it off & back.

I can see both sides, I'm definitely a fan of the guard though now!!

Looking at it the new guard is same price as the chaincase cover, but had the cover taken this hit I wonder what else would be damaged.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Its random. Some hits a guard will eliminate any damage others it wont matter. A buddy of mine tagged a rock so hard in 5th that it folded the tunnel side into the track so far the track wouldn't turn. The rock hit the tunnel side below the chain case and folded it in. He had one of my guards on which also took some of the hit and saved the chain case cover which was one less thing to buy. My guard has some pretty good dings in it now but I'm still on my original cover. It doesn't take much of a hit to destroy the cover. When you strengthen the chain case area too much the kits fold up where the tunnels are cut out back by the front arm mount. That area is the weakest point and pretzels easily. IMO that area on the tunnel side should not be cut out.

M5

Premium Features