• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Does Weight Really Matter?

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Take any sled you want and put a 220lb rider and a 140lb rider and see who gets the high mark on a hill. I know hill climbing isn't the only type of riding but its the easiest way to measure.
I would love to demo the new M8 a stock yamaha mtx and a turbo yamaha mtx all on the same day and see how they compare. That should be the next snowest comparison.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
It surprises me that a 14 pound difference between an 11 and 13 Pro would be that noticeable.

I guess a lot of it would depend on where the weight is.

Where the weight is is huge. Rotating mass making the biggest impact, and the closer to the motor the bigger the differance. The next most noticeable will be areas such as skids and skis. The more active the part the more noticeable it will be. Thirdly is going to be either end of the sled, and lastly if you want to hide any weight, put it right at the CG of the sled (stagnant weight right at the fuel tank/motor. There's a reason why they put fuel where they do.)

Last edited:

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Take any sled you want and put a 220lb rider and a 140lb rider and see who gets the high mark on a hill. I know hill climbing isn't the only type of riding but its the easiest way to measure.
I would love to demo the new M8 a stock yamaha mtx and a turbo yamaha mtx all on the same day and see how they compare. That should be the next snowest comparison.
That would be a fantastic addition to the Mountian sled shoot out.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I notice weight the most when getting stuck (and having to get unstuck) in precarious positions. Often your riding partners are stuck somewhere else if you're trying to bust through a technical section on a deep day...and getting yourself unstuck on a lighter sled is notably easier. Also, I like the feel of "light on it's feet" and easily catching some air off small lumps and bumps, and making quick transitions....for that stuff, I can feel the different between full and empty fuel tank.

It really depends how you ride, and where you are willing to make your compromises. Not the only factor for sure....I rode all the brands in the running before purchasing, gave them an honest shake, and went with what felt/worked best for me.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I know I cannot tell whether my fuel tank is full or empty by the ride, and do not know anyone that can.
This one is interesting to me... I definitely think I can tell a difference between a full tank of fuel and a couple gallons! THINK.. I mean maybe it just in my head, but I feel like there is a noticeable difference in all ways the sled handles and performs. I can also tell a difference when I have my tunnel loaded down with chit, but that is completely different than having weight under the hood.

Yes weight does matter! That being said, it is definitely not everything, there are so many factors that can HELP compensate for weight. But weight is weight. Give me a choice between a 399lb sled and 499lb sled and I will go for the 399 all day, unless the 499 handles better and goes more places and goes there easier, which it might! BUT likely wont....

definitely wont if they are identical sleds besides 100 lbs difference.

Last edited:
D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
This one is interesting to me... I definitely think I can tell a difference between a full tank of fuel and a couple gallons! THINK.. I mean maybe it just in my head, but I feel like there is a noticeable difference in all ways the sled handles and performs. I can also tell a difference when I have my tunnel loaded down with chit, but that is completely different than having weight under the hood.

Yes weight does matter! That being said, it is definitely not everything, there are so many factors that can HELP compensate for weight. But weight is weight. Give me a choice between a 399lb sled and 499lb sled and I will go for the 399 all day, unless the 499 handles better and goes more places and goes there easier, which it might! BUT likely wont....

definitely wont if they are identical sleds besides 100 lbs difference.

Chit I would ride a 499 # sled.....Here's a light weight tool I use for keep the chit out of my track...Bend the handle back 180 degrees for better grip.

image.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
The weight of a sled doesn't matter when you own the heavy sled. You just try and convince yourself its all about power to weight, how it runs......the list goes on and on.

Then you spend some time on a sled that's 100-150lbs lighter and WOW! weight does matter, it matters way more then you ever thought. Its so much easier to do everything, plus you can get it unstuck by yourself. Then at the end of the day you realize how your not as worn out as you usually are and your shoulders arent burning from wrestling that heavy sled around all day.

Al of this applies to off-trail, technical, mountain riding. If your trail riding that's a different deal. Eric

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com

I did this last year. I bought a 2014 M8 for me and bought a 2014 Viper and converted it to an MTX for the girlfriend. Rode them both a lot. Then took our Viper to the Yamaha demo ride and rode 3 diff Yamaha turbo demos and our Viper same day.

Liked the Viper so much I bought another Viper and converted it to 3 inch lug Camoplast X3 track. No way I would go back to the M8 now, the response of the 4 stroke along with the torque is awesome (after the clutch fix).

If all that mattered to me was light weight and I didn't care about power I would buy an old Yamaha Bravo............

Jeva

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I notice weight the most when getting stuck (and having to get unstuck) in precarious positions. Often your riding partners are stuck somewhere else if you're trying to bust through a technical section on a deep day...and getting yourself unstuck on a lighter sled is notably easier. Also, I like the feel of "light on it's feet" and easily catching some air off small lumps and bumps, and making quick transitions....for that stuff, I can feel the different between full and empty fuel tank.

It really depends how you ride, and where you are willing to make your compromises. Not the only factor for sure....I rode all the brands in the running before purchasing, gave them an honest shake, and went with what felt/worked best for me.

Thats all that really matters.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Power and Reliability are more important to me than weight. I have a 08 Turbo Nytro, Two 2014 Pro Rmk and I just bought a SR Viper with MCX 270 kit. I would like to Turbo a Pro but don't because the engine will not hold up and it wouldn't have the same torque. I wonder how long a Pro would last if I put 270 HP kit in one. I'm will probably rebuild the Pro when they get a 1000 miles. They are more of a throw away sled.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Power & Reliability I agree is paramount....In the past 30 years sleds have gained more & more power. 2015 162 Viper 135hp - 2015 162 M8 160hp rated power out of the box.

As for reliability in the past 30 years with an average of 1100 to 1500 miles per year of backcountry riding I have only had 3 tows. Dam chitee 2 Strokes.

1. 1997 700 Polaris RMK Carls BB running to lean & mean squeaked the mag side $300 fix plus beer & steaks

2. 1999 Skidoo Summit rear flap got bent up into the tunnel some how preventing snow from contacting the heat exchanger causing the coolant overheat & the coolant jug to blew up. $60 fix plus beer & steak

3. 2001 700 Mountain Max electrical stator fixed free of charge plus beer & steak.

Between 2002 & 2014 it's been Pull and Go. Set them up correctly take good care of them and they run. Everyone I ride with has had the same good luck over the past 12 years. Go Figure !!!!!!

DPG

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Of course weight matters. Gravity does not lie. Every snowmobile, automotive, and air craft manufacture in the world wants to make their product lighter.:face-icon-small-hap

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
I don't like stock sleds and I'm sure most people don't. Why do the aftermarket companies do so well. Why do the pro riders put thousands into there sleds. If I didn't have to pay for my sled and got a free one every year than sure give me a 2 stroke to turbo. Ride it a year and on to a new one for next year. Take a 2 stroke turbo-ed at 270 HP run it on pump gas and see how long it lasts. Good luck. I have two Pros and would never turbo them for that reason. I wouldn't put one on if someone gave me one. If I couldn't afford to turbo a sled money than I would buy a ski-doo to ride. Most people have there sled for two or three years, I keep mine for 7 to 8 years.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I'll tell ya who cares about weight..............Yamaha and Cat.

They cared enough to come up with a whole marketing campaign, at a decent expense, centered on how, although their sleds are the heaviest, they gain less snow weight and so forth. Now we're all familiar with those advertising videos, and the results and exact figures have been discussed to death..... BUT:

It shows, without a doubt, that Yamaha and Cat are keen to the fact that weight affects performance, and ultimately sled sales. If that weren't the case, they could save their money and let the products sell themselves.

There ya go, answer in plain site....all you gotta do is open your eyes.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Of course weight matters. Gravity does not lie. Every snowmobile, automotive, and air craft manufacture in the world wants to make their product lighter.:face-icon-small-hap

Exactly.. I rode my viper 200 km this past weekend conditions were bottomless , we rode trees mainly all other sleds in my group are Xms 163-174s my sled subbed and nose dived on me many times where they would float over same lines and drop offs etc.. It handled alot better than my nytro and apex and feels lighter I'll still take the weight penalty for the extra hp..

Premium Features