• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Should I Ditch the Heavy OEM Battery and get a Lightweight Lithium??? ??

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Got my Antigravity 16 cell in today, dang is it tiny. I will post up some pics of it side by side to the stock Nytro battery and in the sled.

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
Interesting thread, I'm curious to see how the reserve capacity stacks up to the stock battery in cold temps?
That's some pretty good weight savings!
Since standard trickle chargers can damage the battery, I wonder if there a recommended type of charger to safely recharge a lithium-ion battery?

Bill

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Ok here it is installed in the sled. I can not believe how small it is. It cranks the sled over great. I used white foam so yo could see the space saved. I forgot to get a side by side but you can see the huge difference. I was side hillin to the left and I could swear it felt easier to pull over!:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-win. These batteries do not require charging unless you have a drain on your sled somewhere. If you do find it and fix it and never worry. There is a special charger if needed to due a drain. I tried to buy one for safety and the guy at Antigravity talked me out of it and said buy it only if you need it and you will be able to tell within a couple hours of hooking it up to the sled.

Battery1.jpg Battery3.jpg IMG_3949.jpg IMG_3952.jpg

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
How much are you paying for these batteries ? I know some guys using these in dirtbikes and they were flops in summer weather. Curious

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Wow, Why don't you just buy a Yuasa YTZ-7S. You get the weight savings and you could buy 3 of them for that price. Batteries for the next 6-7 years ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
In my case because I WANT to try out something new.
And I am looking for MAX COLD POWER and MAX WEIGHT savings to help offset that 20lb suprercharger I installed.

K

KJFarmer

Aug 24, 2009
North Dakota
Wow, Why don't you just buy a Yuasa YTZ-7S. You get the weight savings and you could buy 3 of them for that price. Batteries for the next 6-7 years ?

I doubt that smaller Yuasa is going to spin the motor over near as fast as the tiny little Antigravity does, Had my stock battery fresh off the charger and started it once, then put the new battery on and could definetly tell it spun it over probably 20% faster.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I just junked my stocker and they weighed it at 12.9# on the trade in scale

I have a brand spanking new 270cca YTX20L-BS on my Nytro, and it is 14lbs on my bathroom scales, no way is this battery 10 lbs, unless without acid maybe.

I'm going to test the Shorai LFX24L3-BS12 and I have a SuperB 10-P from another project. Both lithium ion, and super light..

My rational is that wicked cold starts are always a bit sketchy. If the battery doesn't get you, a frozen relay will. I always carry a booster cable on those cold trips for safety, cause lots of stock batteries fail too.

Great thread....didn't realize there were so many options.

OTM

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Good Review!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A0QGNZwir4U" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I have a brand spanking new 270cca YTX20L-BS on my Nytro, and it is 14lbs on my bathroom scales, no way is this battery 10 lbs, unless without acid maybe.

I'm going to test the Shorai LFX24L3-BS12 and I have a SuperB 10-P from another project. Both lithium ion, and super light..

My rational is that wicked cold starts are always a bit sketchy. If the battery doesn't get you, a frozen relay will. I always carry a booster cable on those cold trips for safety, cause lots of stock batteries fail too.

Great thread....didn't realize there were so many options.

OTM

Well, the Ballistic performance battery...which is Lithium Ferrous (which is way better than Lithium Ion Lith. Fer. is 20-50% more power per cell)...not lead acid battery...produces 270 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) and has a 3 year warranty...

oh, and it weights 1.8 lbs...So, yes, it is more than 10 lbs. lighter than your YTX20L-BS...in fact 12 pounds lighter... :)

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Guys:

For those of you considering LiFePo (Lithium Iron Phosphorous) batteries like the Ballistic or Antigravity, this little video will be useful to you.

Really cold (In the case of this video 29 degrees) starting is different than lead acid......

I would like to see this starting a cold sled at -15

http://www.ballisticparts.com/media/video/video2.php

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AOzpYsLDUAM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
Very interesting video. I understand the theroy of waking up the battery but.... Everytime you turn the key on the Nytro the injector gives a little squirt of fuel into the cylinders doesn't it? After a couple of cycles is it going to be flooded? If its ball blueing cold I don't think I want anything else working against me. Also just leaving the key on won't draw any power the headlight or taillight don't turn on until the sled is running unlike my Harley. I am seriously considering the Ballistic but now I am not to sure.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Very interesting video. I understand the theroy of waking up the battery but.... Everytime you turn the key on the Nytro the injector gives a little squirt of fuel into the cylinders doesn't it? After a couple of cycles is it going to be flooded?
I don't think so. The fuel pump is primed but fuel injection events occur when the engine is turning.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Guys:

For those of you considering LiFePo (Lithium Iron Phosphorous) batteries like the Ballistic or Antigravity, this little video will be useful to you.

Really cold (In the case of this video 29 degrees) starting is different than lead acid......

I would like to see this starting a cold sled at -15

http://www.ballisticparts.com/media/video/video2.php

That is EXACTLY what Anti-Gravity told me to expect.
The first try or two will make you think you have a DEAD BATTERY at very low temps.

But fear not.
Just give it a few moments to warm itself up from the current draw and everything will be just fine.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284250

Premium Features