• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

goodyear duratrac reviews please

R
Jan 25, 2009
Who has them? Do you like them for a winter tire? what winter tires are you comparing them to? do you have them studed? and what size are you running?

M
Mar 7, 2008
just put them on. one trip pulling trailer in mountains on snow/ice. excellent.
i bought based on others comments and reviews.

I

Indy

Dec 12, 2007
Love mine. Currently running 295-65-18 on a F-350. Great traction. The review about the weird side wall action is accurate. I had it loaded up with a lot of weight and I could really feel it wandering. Not really a big deal for me. Hopefully I get good wear.

M
Mar 7, 2008
275/70R18 - OEM tire size on my F350 CC long bed. No studs. Duratracs are "Branded with the mountain/snowflake symbol to identify they meet industry severe snow service standards." I would consider this when buying a tire for snow/ice.
If all I did was tow on highway, wet/dry pavement I would have left the Michelins on it came with (I'm Keeping them in the garage now but may switch out for summer use.) But because mostly using in mountain/snow/ice and towing I went with this tire because of positive comments in these forums and in my research. Also going with OEM tire size. After running oversize tires on other vehicles I'm now a believer that this does not help on snow/ice.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Get em! I just got some last week. 325/60/20, 2008 F250 CC. I researched for almost 2 months. I was talked out of these for Cooper STT's. I ran around on those for 3 days and took them back and got the Duratracs. They are very quiet. They do well on fresh thawed roads( that kind of mud). I was in slush on the highway while towing. They handled all just fine, never underperformed, even for the size (width). I did not stud them. Other brands I've had. GY Silent Armor Pro Grade, Toyo Open Country A/T, Nitto Terra Grappler, Cooper Discover A/T. Duratrac has been my favorite so far, second place GY Silent Armor pro grade.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Had them on my work truck for the last 17k miles, I'm expecting at least 25k out of them and thats in oilfield service condithons .... They're very good on slick snowy roads too.

Plan on puttin them on my personal truck when the BFG's wear out.

Great tires and you can stud them too.

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
I've heard the duratrac's can be studded.

If this is true, how is this done? They don't have the plugs to insert the studs into.

Also, what size studs do you use?

Thank

B

boarderking01

Dec 4, 2010
grand lake co
stud and everything else.

i work at discount tire well did until last december.. the duratrax are a amazing tire.. only heard great things about them from customers so far.. they have a new sipping technology on them that are cupped like half circles instead of a straight cut. provides amazing ice gripping.. the only better you can get is getting a snow tire but they will last half what these can.

So for studding them they take i beleive the bigger #6 size... all brands of studs are not sized the same. But another thing you need to know you can only successfully stud tires when there BRAND new. you might becabble to get a stud in there after driving but good luck. and they will prolly fall out.
A stud is looks like a upside down T shape and when the tire is knew the hols are made out of a silicone base and when droven on in the first couple miles the silicone come together with the pressure of the tire holding the studs in tight.. so without studs they dont leave room for the botton of that T.

but overall the new duratrax is a bad *** tire.. but if you guys want a nice tire its not as aggressive looking but super cheap and great mile warranty and great in snow and ice is the new hankook dynapro RT10 tire.. we couldnt keep stock of these they sold so good. and we are the largest tire dealer in the nation.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Mine came with provisions for studs, although I did not stud them.

IMG_3882.jpg

Get them. You won't be disappointed. I'll never go back to a BFG ever again!

M
Nov 29, 2007
Goodrich, ND
have them on my 3/4 ton dodge. About 15,000 miles on them as of now, and I love them. They don't wear the best, but traction is excellent, and they are very quiet for an aggressive tire. I would recommend them to anyone.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I have them on my 03 chevy 1500hd which is a heavy truck it weight about 6000lbs not quit as much as an f250 or 2500hd but still heavier than a reg. halfton. I have only driven unloaded so far and have been on icy/snow packed roads and they did awesome. Haven't been stuck yet with them eithor and havve been in snow up to the frame rails or even a little deeper. I only have maybe a 1000 miles on them so far so i can't say anything for wear. But i have had bfg at, procomp ats, and i would say they are better than both of them tires off road in deep snow and on road they are better than the procomps, and on road compared to the bfgs they are at least as good or better been a few years since the bfgs. I didn't stud them eithor. I got them because i needed something that was good on snow and ice, and mud in the summer, but didn't want an all out mudterrain.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I've got ~17k on mine on a 3/4-ton GMC work truck and I've rotated them twice now, but they've been wearing pretty damned evenly driving it unloaded.

B

boarderking01

Dec 4, 2010
grand lake co
No you do not drill holes for the studs! lol

And for you who says they wear unevenly? are they E Rated? Tire pressure?

ive personaly seen these things with quite a few miles on them wearing pretty evenly.. not saying there going to get 60k miles but have never seen them having cupping or any defects like that.. They are a little heavy on the balancer but not even close to some mtrs or any other tire that compares.

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Great tire!!

On first set of duratracs and love em so far. (8k) I ran MTR's before and loved them. 44k miles out of them. If the duratracs get as good mileage I'll be happy. No need for studding. They work great on all road conditions. They arent as loud on the pavement as they look like they would be.

Premium Features