• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Aftermarket Pipes

B2

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2010
Sheridan, WY
Just wanted to get thoughts/opinions from all about the consideration of an aftermarket pipe for the PRO. I put an order in for an SLP single pipe, as their results looked promising in the addition of 11-12 hp and shaving a little bit of weight. The more I ride my 163 however, I am becoming very satisfied with the power delivery and responsiveness of the machine. I originally tried the 62g stock weights with a short ride in the Bighorns, then down in the Snowies. It would pull about 7900-8000ish on non pull runs at Snowy Range, and fall down a bit on a deep snow hill run. I then went to 60g polaris weights and ran them through the 2.5 hour break in. My machine would then pull about 8150 and hold around 8000 rpm on a hill pull.

I now have 220 miles on the machine, and the last ride out it was hitting 8200-8300 consistantly. It runs soooo well I think I am going to have to try the heavier weights again. I know there is some additional clutching gains to be had in springs, weights, possible helix and such, but it is so fun to ride, I am now having trouble deciding if the pipe/controller will be worth it in that it will no doubt void the warranty for a power gain that I might not necessarily miss?! Additionally, I am not one of those guys who rips the aftermarket stuff off of the machine when something happens and claim it is stock...(I know, some may think that's too honest). If I mod a machine from manufacturer's specs, then I feel I am assuming responsibilities for the consequences.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some thoughts and opinions from others that may be contemplating the same decision.

Thanks and have fun!

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
And you can always add the pipe a little later. Interesting but once again the dyno results don't match real world-at least in your case. From your description you are making more power than the IQ that dyno'd higher!

O

Outlaw525s

Nov 19, 2010
Just wanted to get thoughts/opinions from all about the consideration of an aftermarket pipe for the PRO. I put an order in for an SLP single pipe, as their results looked promising in the addition of 11-12 hp and shaving a little bit of weight. The more I ride my 163 however, I am becoming very satisfied with the power delivery and responsiveness of the machine. I originally tried the 62g stock weights with a short ride in the Bighorns, then down in the Snowies. It would pull about 7900-8000ish on non pull runs at Snowy Range, and fall down a bit on a deep snow hill run. I then went to 60g polaris weights and ran them through the 2.5 hour break in. My machine would then pull about 8150 and hold around 8000 rpm on a hill pull.

I now have 220 miles on the machine, and the last ride out it was hitting 8200-8300 consistantly. It runs soooo well I think I am going to have to try the heavier weights again. I know there is some additional clutching gains to be had in springs, weights, possible helix and such, but it is so fun to ride, I am now having trouble deciding if the pipe/controller will be worth it in that it will no doubt void the warranty for a power gain that I might not necessarily miss?! Additionally, I am not one of those guys who rips the aftermarket stuff off of the machine when something happens and claim it is stock...(I know, some may think that's too honest). If I mod a machine from manufacturer's specs, then I feel I am assuming responsibilities for the consequences.

Anyways, just wanted to hear some thoughts and opinions from others that may be contemplating the same decision.

Thanks and have fun!

I would Run the slp pipe...ive had them on all of my sleds and have had no problem at all.. my 09 D8 sounds and RIPS...Honestly idk if its worth putting a pipe on this sled on how awesome it runs, but honeslty thats a cheep way to get 11-13 more horsepower! Best of luck to you on what you decide!:face-icon-small-hap

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
Now I call a big WOAHHHH THERE! I know we have all seen the SLP pipe HP numbers. But if they arent prepared to back them with the "stock" HP numbers that they base their gains off, then I am going to be the first here to call BS!

This is coming from a guy who has bought 7 Poo's since '99 and NEVER bought one without a single or double pipe installed new...

But I am becoming more and more scpetical about the pipe HP numbers...11-12 HP increase over what? stock sled on 87 octane ethanol chipped sled VS piped and dialled with who knows what?

If you are loving your sled, and its pulling hard....dont rush into it is my advice...

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
Don't forget your BetterBoards, Evols, Holz front end...KITT keep your scanners peeled.
F-Bomb.jpg

B2

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2010
Sheridan, WY
interesting. so maybe the 62's would work for the 155 in the snowies? :eyebrows:

Need one more ride to find out for sure, but I am thinking it will pull them now that it is totally broken in, and seems to be loosening up a little more with each ride.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Need one more ride to find out for sure, but I am thinking it will pull them now that it is totally broken in, and seems to be loosening up a little more with each ride.

I've been told that 8200 is where this motor pulls the hardest. Maybe you are exactly where you nee to be.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho

Thanks and have fun!

I honestly feel like this sled runs and pulls as good as my 08 D8 piped and clutched, in stock trim. I will have a hard time spending the extra coin and voiding my 4 year just to acheive the so-called 11-12 hp. Obviously more power= more fun, but how much do I really need? Not sure what to do. Maybe a can if it doesn't void the warranty... or nothing! More seat time will tell comparing to others sleds who I rode with last year. I do love this sled man!!

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
I feel the same way... I still ride with my 09 D8, which a buddy bought from me. The sled has the works on it and it runs awesome! It feels like it has more power than my new Pro, but I don't think that power will get the D8 any further on the hill...?

I simply took the shield off my Pro Pipe and had the pipe and Y ceramic coated, I plan to stay with this for a while. These things run so nice that I don't want to loose any response or runability for some added mid range pull that a pipe offers..

Premium Features