• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Needed help with Nytro build

T
Mar 4, 2009
Molalla Oregon
Thanks guys i am deleting the front bulkhead cooler but i think i'll still go with 7 tooth drivers and change my gears to 40/19, i'll see if my dealer can swap the drivers for me.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Thanks guys i am deleting the front bulkhead cooler but i think i'll still go with 7 tooth drivers and change my gears to 40/19, i'll see if my dealer can swap the drivers for me.

You can go as big as 42 on the bottom on a reverse chaincase. Ulmer Racing has the gear.

T
Mar 4, 2009
Molalla Oregon
emailed ulmer racing about what they think would be the best gearing. ordered Avids today. just wondering i'm getting a timbersled skid do i need an anti stab kit with the avids?

Last edited:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Yamaha gear cases have always been geared tall compared to other mountain sleds until they came out with the 18/40 (2.22). I would rather run a 19T up top as opposed to the 18 (less strain on the teeth) so running 19/42 (2.21) will get me very close to that. It will make it much more responsive on the low end, especially good if turbo charging. I don't care so much about the top end. I topped out at about 90 mph stock. Guys back east aren't seeing a whole heck of a lot more than that with speed gearing. Make sense to you?

T
Mar 4, 2009
Molalla Oregon
yeah ulmer sent me an email and said to go to 18/40 or 19/42. since i plan on boosting my sled next year i think i'll spend the extra money now and go with the 19/42. What other mods are you doing to you're sled?

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
yeah ulmer sent me an email and said to go to 18/40 or 19/42. since i plan on boosting my sled next year i think i'll spend the extra money now and go with the 19/42. What other mods are you doing to you're sled?

Yeah, do the 19/42 and be done with it. I have tunnel to mod, rear skid, and track, and turbo charge. Lots of stuff to do.

T
Mar 4, 2009
Molalla Oregon
got my van amburg tunnel today along with my avid drivers and CE 162" track all showed up. now i just have to figure out how to mount this tunnel up and run all the coolant lines. it's going to be a lot more time consuming than i though since the tunnel doesn't come with predrilled holes to mount to the sled, foot pegs or skid. i'm going to have a lot of questions for Van Amburg on how to get all the holes drilled and lined up. but should be a fun project. my Avid driver sare going on now but i'm going to wait to put the track back on till i get this tunnel figured out.

T
Mar 4, 2009
Molalla Oregon
Got the tunnel on was really easy will show some pics. took about two hours but i was very tedious in making sure things were perfect. Really simple install. Just line up the tunnel to the frame and make sure it's all straight and were you want it. I used ratchet straps to pull it together and keep it secure till i got some rivets in. Then you just take the gusset plate off the stock tunnel and line it up on the inside. Start drilling and riveting it all together. The jack rivets Van Amburg supplies are awesome and hold way better than regular rivets. There is a mismatch of holes from what they leav out during fabrication and what are on the stock gusset plate so drill out the holes you think you need and rivet them.

T
Mar 4, 2009
Molalla Oregon
I got my track and avid driver on. waiting on 19/42 gear to arrive. have to put in the Van Amburg radiator delete and run the hoses. will do that this week and fab some foot wells out of the stock ones i had to fit the new tunnel. I also am waiting on the E&S under tunnel exhaust they are back ordered a few weeks and ordered s Skinz seat they are backed up 4-6 weeks but probably more i'm guessing. Looks like i have lots of time to sit and think about what else to do before i can go riding. It's coming to together awesome though. will post more pics soon.

T
Mar 4, 2009
Molalla Oregon
Got the radiator delete in today. took some time cause their was no instructions that came with it. Van Amburg does great work but the customer service isn't that great. It would help if they had instructions and pics with all their stuff. Also fabbed the stock foot pegs to fit and installed them and put the track on. waiting for gears and exhuast to put some fluid in and see how it works

Premium Features