• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Which skis to upgrade to on my Nytro, Simmons Gen III ?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ok let's get this cleared up....those ARE Gen4's. There is one set in existence and yes they are on Val's Nytro they are 10 inch ski's with the 8 inch keel on them....they ARE not going into production. Val was just trying new things. Just to get it it out right now the next ski will be a Gen5 these will be a trail application that are 5.5 inches wide for the trail riders. The gen3's are going to be available next year and are gonna retail for around 420.00 RETAIL. The Gen5's are a little further out. NOW any question?

Michelle :)
Always nice to get the skinny from someone who knows!

I can see it now.
Someday we will be riding with a spare set of skis that allow you to swap out as needed over the course of the ride...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Placed my order for a set of BLUE-BLACK Gen 3s from Free Agent.
One more goodie to look forward to come Fall.

M

Moosehumper

Mar 27, 2009
In a van, down by the river!
Not sure what all the concern is about skis. Mine are rarely on the ground anyway. I'm not concerned about how it handles when loading / offloading.

But seriously, in some conditions the stockers are not so friendly.
Soon the days will be getting shorter, which means the snow will be coming soon.:face-icon-small-hap:smokin:

E

essexy

Jul 29, 2009
Ames, IA
Ok let's get this cleared up....those ARE Gen4's. There is one set in existence and yes they are on Val's Nytro they are 10 inch ski's with the 8 inch keel on them....they ARE not going into production. Val was just trying new things. Just to get it it out right now the next ski will be a Gen5 these will be a trail application that are 5.5 inches wide for the trail riders. The gen3's are going to be available next year and are gonna retail for around 420.00 RETAIL. The Gen5's are a little further out. NOW any question?

Michelle :)

The gen III's will be available next year? Do you know when? I need new ski's for this coming season (Oct. '10) and I was going to go with the gen II's. But I would LOVE to get the gen III's now!! :face-icon-small-win

E

essexy

Jul 29, 2009
Ames, IA
So after reading through this thread again, I think i've realized that the Gen. 3's may not be for me since they are more for a mountain sled. Here in central Iowa it is all trail riding, hense me having a 121 Nytro. I go out west once a year if that. I still want to upgrade my "less than great" stock ski's though, so the question is are the Gen. 2's a good trail ski or do I need to wait until the Gen. 5's come out? Or do I go with a different brand all together?? Thanks for the guidence!! :face-icon-small-con

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
So after reading through this thread again, I think i've realized that the Gen. 3's may not be for me since they are more for a mountain sled. Here in central Iowa it is all trail riding, hense me having a 121 Nytro. I go out west once a year if that. I still want to upgrade my "less than great" stock ski's though, so the question is are the Gen. 2's a good trail ski or do I need to wait until the Gen. 5's come out? Or do I go with a different brand all together?? Thanks for the guidence!! :face-icon-small-con

Definitely not the Gen 2's! If your set on simmons look at the Gen 1's.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Definately not set on any certain ski, just want better handeling is all

Very understandable. Before I bought my nytro I rented 3 of them for 5 days and one had the Simmons gen 2's on it. The ski is killer in the powder. When you launch off of anything in the DEEEP snow it will float where as the stock ski will sink and you will get a face full of snow. When doing this off of a cornice and your landing is pretty steep the stock ski's are hella dangerous, I almost endo'ed several times because it would dive so bad! Swap to the sled with the Gen 2's and bingo no more problems! Having said that in ANY other condition but bottomless powder I absolutely HATED the Simmons. They are just too big! I loved the Gen 1's, hated the Gen 2's, might try a set of the Gen 3's. My 2 cents.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Looks like plenty of us are going to find out in the next couple weeks as soon as they start shipping them!

P
Feb 13, 2008
Upgrading from gens 1 to Gens 2

I have a set of Gens1 on the Phazer, no complaints except that in deep powder it tends to sink more than I think it should. Switching to a Gen 2 sounds like I will get more flotation, (10" wide verus 7") If any of you want to sell me your used Gens2 PM me!

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
I saw these skis at the snow show in Salt Lake. Val was selling them for 360 man I should have bought a set of them. One more interesting thing about them is a couple design changes they made at the end. He told me the hold up on the skis was that they had to get a new mold right at the last minute. The prototypes were milled with a machine out of a chunk of plastic. They made the molds and they were smooth with the lines in them like the gen II. They thought they handled differently so he told me they were making a new mold with the machining grooves in them that the prototypes had.

Christopher one thing you might be interested in on the steering is the keel design. The skis are side specific because the outer keel is only about 3/4 length of the inner to help it to steer into the turns better.

rmk stu

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2008
Roseburg, Oregon
Anybody tried them yet? I am dying to hear if they turn easier than the Gen II's I am currently running on my nytro. I a have Gen I's on my old Poooo trail sleds and LOVE them but the Gen II's seem pretty hard to turn.

Stu :face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
picture.php

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
the claim is that the gen3 is for the rider forward designed sleds. which ones for the apex, vector mtn sleds equiped with the BOOST?

Is that true? I cant see it being different for the apex than the nytro. I would like to try a pair but love the Gen 2's on my Nytro and my previous Apex. So.... :face-icon-small-coo

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Mine are supposed to be here by Friday.
Will put them on and go for a ride as soon as they arrive.

Been waiting on this Christmas Present since last May!

K45

Lifetime Membership
Feb 5, 2010
Awesome, let us know how the gen 3,s work. Looking at getting a set for my Nytro as well

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The moment they arrive I will get some photos posted of what the PRODUCTION skis actually look like and then go for a ride and report back!

Premium Features