• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can 4 strokes boondock like 2 strokes?

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I currently ride an 08 Arctic Cat M1000 and I love they way it handles but I am tired of belt issues and could use something more powerful and reliable. I see that a guy can get into a turboed Nytro for cheap ($11k) but I just don't know if it could even come close to being the boondocking animal that my Arctic Cat is. I am a big guy (6'2" - 220lbs) and plenty capable of man handling a little more sled but are the chassis even capable of sidehilling like an M-series. I guess I have never seen a video of anybody doing serious boondocking on a turboed 4-stroke so I am very skeptical of if its even possible. If anybody has some sick boondocking footage on a Turboed 4-stroke I would like to see it.

Climbmax

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2001
Big Mountains of B.C.
Black skis = nytro.
I think cody has been through a couple of XP's since we shot this........the nytro is still rocking 8,000k and I expect it to go another 8,000 or more:face-icon-small-hap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af5PPbGx9Gc

They can boondock just fine........there are lots of clips out there.....in fact Julie Marquart rips her boosted Apex better than most guys do on their "blow 'em up specials". I guess it depends what your priorities are.
Safe sleddin'
RS

D

Duke

Jan 16, 2005
I'll take my Apex any day over a 2 stroke, whole different game with an endless supply of HP, takes boondocking to a different level :face-icon-small-hap

M
Jan 14, 2004
A buddy of ours bought an M1000 and wanted to try my Nytro so we switched sleds. I couldn't wait to get off the POS Cat. The handle bars were like ready to fall off the plastic all rattled I hated it and it had like 200 miles on it. Looking out over the hood it seemed like a 59 Caddy, total old school. Yah the 4 strokes can boondock compared to that M1000, you'll need to change your riding style but once you do you'll never go back.

M5

Last edited:
D
Nov 30, 2007
I bought an 08 Apex, not boosted and not going to (to much sled for me) and I mainly boondock, works fine for me.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I guess my idea of boondocking is a little different then what I saw in the two video's posted above. I live in Idaho and we have a lot of tight trees so to me boondocking is much more then doing some powder turns on an open hill. The video I posted below has some footage of the boondocking I am talking about but even most of it is not quite as tight as a lot of stuff we play in. I guess the only way I will find out if I like one is to ride one. Anybody want to lend their turboed nytro out for the weekend so I can scratch the **** out of it in the trees?

So does anybody have some real footage of these high horse yammies in the tight trees?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGd1JPidWnE

M
Jan 14, 2004
I know what your riding is like cause I ride on occasion in NW Mt. If you can do everything that is on that vid on an M1000 you'll be able do it and more on a T nytro. I think you'll find that a mildly modded Nytro isn't much heavier than a stock M1000 by the time you fill the M1000 fuel tank. Try and get a ride on one and be your own judge but I bet you get hooked and make the leap. You won't be happy with the power of a stocker after the M sled but a turbo will put a huge grin on your face

M5

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
nope, they cant boondock like a 2stroke....those get stuck, and cant get out....4 strokes just climb to the top...

I live in NW Montana...a gap of 10feet is a line for us...have no issue taking my nytro anywhere...but then based upon your initial response, you might not be looking for opinion, I get the impression your just wanting to share your opinion...

first: have you ridden one?
second: have you ridden one that is well set up?
third: your welcome to come out anytime and ride with us in the Flathead Valley...quite confident it qualifies as boondocking to any, and to most it is considering tree dodging...

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I guess my idea of boondocking is a little different then what I saw in the two video's posted above. I live in Idaho and we have a lot of tight trees so to me boondocking is much more then doing some powder turns on an open hill. The video I posted below has some footage of the boondocking I am talking about but even most of it is not quite as tight as a lot of stuff we play in. I guess the only way I will find out if I like one is to ride one. Anybody want to lend their turboed nytro out for the weekend so I can scratch the **** out of it in the trees?

So does anybody have some real footage of these high horse yammies in the tight trees?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGd1JPidWnE

Looks like Burandt on his new Polaris. Good video!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
nope, they cant boondock like a 2stroke....those get stuck, and cant get out....4 strokes just climb to the top...

I live in NW Montana...a gap of 10feet is a line for us...have no issue taking my nytro anywhere...but then based upon your initial response, you might not be looking for opinion, I get the impression your just wanting to share your opinion...

first: have you ridden one?
second: have you ridden one that is well set up?
third: your welcome to come out anytime and ride with us in the Flathead Valley...quite confident it qualifies as boondocking to any, and to most it is considering tree dodging...
I never got to ride with you. But i have ridden with larry and he can put a 174 nytro throught the trees like a SOB! hes not a huge guy either like a lot of t-4stroke guys I see. and yeha, the flathead is a giant tree dodge. makes it fun thought!!

setup right they will boondock no problem farther then most will take them. Im not sure what my sled ended up weighing, BUT its probably around that of a nytro. im 150# and can move it around fine in the woods becuase I have it setup to play, its kinda goofy straight climbing cuz thats not what I wanted it for. No i cant toss it around like my buddies super light 800 rev I rode a little, BUT, we werent even riding anymore, it count have been fun to ride, the biggest openings were a sled length long. for what most are looking to do the turbo yamis are a blast!! the power adds a WHOLE new dimension. you can boondock in som interesting terrain.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
The whole purpose of me starting this thread was to get some input from people who know what these Turboed Yammies are capable of in the trees and to see some actual footage of somebody pushing these things to the limit in the trees. I have never rode or riden with one so I have no real world experience. I do know that I have never seen video of one boondocking like I see so many 2 strokes doing.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if you can wait till the 3rd week in march im heading back to the flathead.. i will most likely be going out with my sled, a trx1, 2 tnytro's, possibly more if plans all come together right. I dont ride with any down here and I dont htink mines a fair assesment on its own, We will get some video when we all go out over my spring break.

1 thing I do think that happens is most people have been stuck on the less powerfull sleds for so long a lot just want to blast straight up hills cuz its so fast. I know I did for the first few days my sled worked right. It does take some time to figure out the power band in the trees. I find myself still screwing up sidehilling cuz i have 2 stroke power engrained in my head. sidehilling at half throttle no boost, panick and smash it and just flip around in a circle cuz the sled wants to get going at WOT. again, I think I should have some video in march, only problem is trying to film these guys is you cant see em 20 feet away as the trees are tight!!!

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
The whole purpose of me starting this thread was to get some input from people who know what these Turboed Yammies are capable of in the trees and to see some actual footage of somebody pushing these things to the limit in the trees. I have never rode or riden with one so I have no real world experience. I do know that I have never seen video of one boondocking like I see so many 2 strokes doing.

well your ask is two-fold...

1- your getting input from those who do it...
2- your not gonna see much footage like you posted, as there are very few professionals doing this...and absent Burandt, you would not see it from a 2 stroker either...the boys at 208 are great guys...

Most of us, would be happy to let you come out with us and ride, and I am fairly VERY certain, that what my riding group considers tree riding is by any estimation tree riding...

Last edited:
S
Oct 15, 2008
Bozeman-MT
I could tell this guy was fishing from the start. I didn't bite because I wanted to see where this went. There is enough video out there proving that not only can a 4 stroke boon dock, they take boon docking to a whole new level. Why would anyone have to ask this question after all the testimonies and videos on the market today? Pot stirring.

The answer to the question has become obvious over the past 4 years for those with a relatively normal or above intelligence. For those not fitting into this category the answer is yes, they can and will boon dock with any sled, and they will do it with less effort if you understand the basic principals of riding taught by Burandt in the Schooled video. I believe his words were " the sled does the work". Simply put, if you can't boon dock on a 4 stroke as well as a 2 stroke you lack riding skills. Sorry if that hurts your feeling, or bruises your ego, but sometimes the truth hurts. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGiMOlqfIM

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I could tell this guy was fishing from the start. I didn't bite because I wanted to see where this went. There is enough video out there proving that not only can a 4 stroke boon dock, they take boon docking to a whole new level. Why would anyone have to ask this question after all the testimonies and videos on the market today? Pot stirring.

The answer to the question has become obvious over the past 4 years for those with a relatively normal or above intelligence. For those not fitting into this category the answer is yes, they can and will boon dock with any sled, and they will do it with less effort if you understand the basic principals of riding taught by Burandt in the Schooled video. I believe his words were " the sled does the work". Simply put, if you can't boon dock on a 4 stroke as well as a 2 stroke you lack riding skills. Sorry if that hurts your feeling, or bruises your ego, but sometimes the truth hurts. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QGiMOlqfIM

Love Breathe, but can tell you, he will blast you for it not being tight trees...which it really isnt...

Will see if I can get some footage this year from a helmet cam...

A
Nov 26, 2007
Alaska
I currently ride an 08 Arctic Cat M1000 and I love they way it handles but I am tired of belt issues and could use something more powerful and reliable. I see that a guy can get into a turboed Nytro for cheap ($11k) but I just don't know if it could even come close to being the boondocking animal that my Arctic Cat is. I am a big guy (6'2" - 220lbs) and plenty capable of man handling a little more sled but are the chassis even capable of sidehilling like an M-series. I guess I have never seen a video of anybody doing serious boondocking on a turboed 4-stroke so I am very skeptical of if its even possible. If anybody has some sick boondocking footage on a Turboed 4-stroke I would like to see it.

If you can ride ,they boondock SAWEEET!!!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features