• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rattle from clutch side

blackhillsrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills, WY
I have been dealing with this issue now for two seasons, so it must not be "major" but it really sounds like crap!! I have a loud "rattle" coming from the clutch side. I have had both the primary and secondary into the shop and nothing wrong with either one. The noise only is present when engaging or at slow speeds. Idle...nothing...wide open...nothing, but when engaging or slow speeds there is a heck of a "tinny rattle" that I haven't been able to remedy. Anybody else have this issue. I am questioning the amount of play I have in the secondary, cuz it seems a little sloppy, but I can't seem to isolate it to the secondary. Any help would be appreciated.

Gmiller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 27, 2009
Breckenridge Colorado
I get a slight clunk on engagement, nothing serious as the clutching was done professionally and checked twice since. Very very slight rattling, not loud enough to scare me into investigating yet! everything seems solid!

G

GBCB

Nov 19, 2008
Crested Butte, Co
Me too

My '06 700 does the same thing. My mechanic says thats just the way some of the primary clutches are. He said if I put in a new primary it would probably do the same thing in a couple hundred miles. Ear plugs make the buzz go away entirely.

blackhillsrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills, WY
The speed of the "clanking" leads me to believe that you are correct...that it might be something in the primary, but I would have thought after having both clutches looked at that they would have found something. Maybe I just need to take the whole sled into the shop and tell them to FIX IT...but like I said I thought them going though it already would have eliminated that posibility...IDK...runs fine just sounds like sh**.

R

rdnorman

Apr 19, 2008
Rattle

Check the sheet metal cover over the radiator hose mine was making a similar noise because the rivits worked thier way just loose enough to make it rattle.

triple650

Lifetime Membership
Mar 18, 2009
Canadia
Yea mine does that to but i got a sno-stuff rumble pack silencer and i dont hear it no more lol. i got a video on facebook and me going across a lake and you hear the clutch make that noise and it dis enguages.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
Check the sheet metal cover over the radiator hose mine was making a similar noise because the rivits worked thier way just loose enough to make it rattle.

X2. I was chasing a rattle for a while in the clutch area, then one ride it stopped. However, I found that hose guard laying under the clutches later that ride. It finally broke off. I fabbed and installed a new one. I can see a blown belt taking out the coolant hose very quickly without that guard in place.

C
Apr 10, 2009
Rattle

Check motor mount bolt for tightness,washer could be rattling, I had a slight noise and found it to late,threads are stripped and I have to pull the motor to fix.

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
spring

It is usually your primary spring vibrating against the nut that holds the spider down on the primary just before engagement.

Premium Features