• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bike Paths In The Winter

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
I want to throw something out and get everyones thought's on it. I will pick one of the bike paths that I travel by a lot. There is a bike path that goes from just north of Atlantic, IA. to Audubon, IA. It is about 20-miles long. Last winter they did not push any of the snow off it. It was full of snow all winter.

Now to my question. Why will they not let us people that snowmobile ride it in the winter? I'm sure there is people that ride snomobiles, that also ride bikes. I know some of us have studs in or tracks and is hard on things (my drive has a nice spin mark on it, from me:face-icon-small-sho). If there is enough snow on them, I do not see that we could hurt them any. This is just something that I have always wanted to find the answer too.

Last edited:

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
We also have the wabash, cb south to who knows where. I believe for the most part it is due to the worry that studs and carbides will tear up the bridges.

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
You are probably right, never though about the bridges. Could always have vol. put plywood on them during the winter months to protect them. I would not have a problem helping do this. Looked the Wabash up and it is 63-miles long.

snowho96

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2009
ia
the bikes don't use em around here in the summer anyway. We could just as well get to ride on them in the winter!

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Would be nice to get an answer on this. Does anyone know who you would call or would someone like to find out and let us know?

Steelman

Lifetime Member
Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2009
snowexhaust.ggb.ca
Lets throw this back up top. Did not get much feedback last time. There is a lot of bike trails in Iowa. The Wabash that runs south from Council Bluffs is crusted limestone. Bridges are wood 2x4's or 2x6's.

CROSSFIREMAN

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
iowa
sauk rail trail from carroll to lake view is for sleds also we use it for poker runs when snow permits

Premium Features