• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Float 2 vs. Fox Float X EVOL ?

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
cool i need a second nytro now any idea on what those will cost.:face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-hap

Just buy the whole sled, it's for sale ;)

Concept_Evol_X2.jpg

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
what is the shiny thing in between the a-arms. Rhymes with dubframe? lol

The picture is of one of their "black sleds". They are building a small batch of Nytros with all of the goodies already installed. They reinforced and powdercoated the subframes on those sleds. This is what the "superchrome" powdercoat looks like:

Superchrome_Subframe.jpg

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
←snow∞motion→;2723331 said:
Hey Scott, do you know if these stronger subframes are gonna be available for sale, or will they only come on theirs?

How do you get your hands on one of those subframes????????

scmurs

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
←snow∞motion→;2723331 said:
Hey Scott, do you know if these stronger subframes are gonna be available for sale, or will they only come on theirs?

How do you get your hands on one of those subframes????????

I do not believe that they are going to sell these. From my understanding, they were just going to do it for the "black sleds".

You can always buy one of those sleds though ;)

←snow∞motion→

Lifetime Membership
Jan 18, 2010
WY
That sucks, I bet that would even be a bigger market being able to get rid of the crappy stock sub-frame.

When it bends or breaks all you can do is replace it with more SUCK. :face-icon-small-fro

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Write to Skinz and let them know your feelings.
If there is a market for a product, they will likely try to fill it.

curt

Lifetime Membership
Apr 29, 2008
To help decipher some of the information you might be seeking for your purchase, here is a brief desription.

Float 2 / This is a second generation air shock, that primarily addressed all of the issues that some of the above posts list. All of the internal parts were changed from previous Float designs.
These changes were promted from feedback from consumers directly to the engineers at Fox. This is basically an entry level type shock that is typically lighter weight then most coil overs, and still offers more adjustability then a standard shock.

Float R Evol / This shock also recieved all of the internal new parts that the Float 2 did, plus it added external rebound adjustment, as well as a secondary air chamber. This secondary air chamber helped create a more linear spring rate transition through the stroke of the shock shaft. Basically it allowed lower main chamber air pressures for better slow bump use, but still allowed it to ramp up the final spring rate in the last 1-2" of travel. Though from a technical point you can not use the rebound to assist or move the compression dampening, it nontheless has a small effect on compression dampening, and can definately be used for tuning purposes as long as you have a good understanding of its effects.
Also note; for all of the add on air chambers, there is no way to properly address a serious spike or ramp up between the main chamber and add on reservoir due to the size or oulet of where the schrader valve is located. It is like putting a 1/2" hose on a 1/4" oulet and expecting to see a large increase in volume. For the Evol chamber this port has been engineered to accept the larger flow capacity.

The Float X Evol / currently the best (though probably most misunderstood) shock on the market. Why? Because it a complex shock, and potentially more durable. For all of the posts that list its negative attributes, you may want to look at what has happened on the ATV market in regards to pro racing. All of the major winners are using this shock in a lot more rugged or demanding enviroment then snowmbiling. The combination of the adjustability (over 500 external adjustments used in combination with air pressure adjustmments), as well as the length of performance this shock delivers are part of the reason. (Did anyone look to see what was on the suspensions of the winners at the X games this year? Differnet brands, same shocks!
With the amount of adjustments this is where consumers can get turned around, and for lack of better understanding they either stop using them and or they sell them. With dual speed compresion dampening as well as rebound dampening, an individual can get lost trying to make the shocks perform the way you were expecting.
If you do not like to tinker with your suspension I would never consider purchasing a set of Float X Evols. You would be wasting your money. But....... if you do; then welcome to a whole new world of suspension tuning that really can externally cover almost every situation gravity can throw at your sled. Oh yeah, you may find your riding ability improving as well.
Hope this helps.

Tom

I would love to discuss some of your theories. No b.s just technical data like compression and flow rates for the reservoir versus evol upgrade The port size is only .020 smaller
and even your explaination of how it works.

This is not your worst post about air reservoirs but I still do not like you trashing on other peoples products to up your sales (terms like no way).
I sell both products, the evol chamber and nextech air reservoir with the same profit on either.
They are both equally potent upgrades just different and 1 you dont have!!!

Thanks Curt
NEXTECH

toms

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2010
CA
www.tomssnowmobile.com
I would love to discuss some of your theories. No b.s just technical data like compression and flow rates for the reservoir versus evol upgrade The port size is only .020 smaller
and even your explaination of how it works.

This is not your worst post about air reservoirs but I still do not like you trashing on other peoples products to up your sales (terms like no way).
I sell both products, the evol chamber and nextech air reservoir with the same profit on either.
They are both equally potent upgrades just different and 1 you dont have!!!

Thanks Curt
NEXTECH

Curt,

Here is my contact information; Tom Dines - Tom's Snowmobile & Service - 530-862-1128 Ext 11 - email, info@tomssnowmobile.com /

5 years ago, we began testing directly with the Fox Factory. Fox made their own prototype add on air chamber, which we tested for them as well sent several out into the field for others to test. This product never made it to production, due to the fact of the information their engineers gathered, both in field as well as lab results. With the data gathered by the engineers at Fox, their company decided to pursue an add on feature that continued to enhance their product. With added benefits of the secondary air chamber compartment, that included 2 seperate air chambers, Fox determined it would benefit their shock the most by utilizing an Evol chamber system instead of an extra volume chamber. (It was after all their manufactured product that was being challenged or questioned for ride quality by the consumers.) It is through this data that was shared with me that I have stated, and not my theories. Nor did I bash any company including yours, other then stating the above information shorter. Through most of these posts I also have not solicited any sales related propaganda as you state.
Maybe we should start a new post to specifically compare the differences and or advantages to the add on extra volume chambers, the extra volume bearings and the add on Evol chambers. After all the consumer would more then likely benefit by putting this information under the microscope. At that point we could compare the volumetric increase each bring to the table, as well identify how each overlaps into the movement or progression of the shock itself.
Feel free to contact me anytime you like.

Tom

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
Maybe we should start a new post to specifically compare the differences and or advantages to the add on extra volume chambers, the extra volume bearings and the add on Evol chambers.
ABSOLUTELY!!! That would be awesome. I would love to view a technical discussion about suspensions.

Tom, one thing to consider is that the add on canisters are used at a much different price point then the evol chambers.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Maybe we should start a new post to specifically compare the differences and or advantages to the add on extra volume chambers, the extra volume bearings and the add on Evol chambers. After all the consumer would more then likely benefit by putting this information under the microscope. At that point we could compare the volumetric increase each bring to the table, as well identify how each overlaps into the movement or progression of the shock itself.

PLEASE MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
So was this going to happen? It would be really cool if it would..

Premium Features