• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help a new 900 owner out!!

D
Dec 30, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
So I've been watching this thread and skmming through it for a while now and am pretty sure this this the only place to get any kind of good help with these sleds with out getting the "your an idiot for owning one of those pieces of sh*t!"

I recently swooped up an 2005 rmk 900 159 for a pretty good deal for only having 800 miles. Yesterday I took her up for the first good long hard full day ride and as expexcted came back with issues.

1. When going hard down the road, when it gets hot, the check engine light comes on, not the temp light, and It bogs down. Is it just hot?

2. After half a day the belt started screeching like an only Buick. It looks like it's sitting too high out of the secondary. How do I adjust these team secondary to relieve the squelch. I'm not sure if it's the 115 belt. It's slightly warn, but not too bad.

3. After a good days ride, I arrived at the truck and noticed that now that check enginge is flashing on the digital read out. I shut if off, started back up and it flashes six times. What's that mean?

4. I also noticed the boots between the throttle body And the intake are starting to crack. Has anyone had this happen, is it common? Pretty sure I'm going to need to replace those.

Any help would be great!

Ps. For what I payed this this rocks. It takes the whoops killer, it sidehills pretty good and climbs awesome!

2. A

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
Here is a link to the 2005 Deep Snow Manual and 900 Owners Manuals which you will find handy.
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182549&highlight=manual

1)You need scratchers to run on hard pack very long. PLus do a search for front rad delete posts. I have added the scratchers and deleted the front rad. If they are overheated they go into limp mode.

2)Manual shows how to adjust secondary

3)I don't know the codes. Check the manuals?

4)Boots on these crack from the heat. When I replaced mine, i used hand tools to remove the bolts and broke two of the bottom ones off. Son in law used a air ratchet and did not break any. Not sure if the air ratchet made a difference or not. A few guys are putting heat reflective tape on the new boots to protect them from the heat.

Snowest is the best place I have found for info on the 900. I still have lots to learn.

D
Nov 27, 2007
They are a great machine once dialed in.. the problem that I just read is you skimmed over it, allot of very informative people have spent hours writing what is at the top of this 900 thread. you must read it and like me read it again, from clutching to maybe the purchase of scratchers. Everything you have mentioned is in those threads. Great info for a 900 owner.. ...on that note :D:beer;

Last edited:
R
Nov 20, 2009
They are a great machine once dialed in.. the problem that I just read is you skimmed over it, allot of very informative people have spent hours writing what is at the top of this 900 thread. you must read it and like me read it again, from clutching to maybe the purchase of scratchers. Everything you have mentioned is in those threads. Great info for a 900 owner.. ...on that note :D:beer;
Yes like dslayer says READ,READ.READ.........almost sounds "scripted" imo.
I ran across a few things that I didn't know and just spent the time to read and "I'll be damned" I found out by READING AND APPLING WHAT I'VE READ.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
A 159 with rad delete will NEED scratchers for sure even with useless rad in place!
Make sure secondary "floats" a little to help alighnment/wear
Replace boots ASAP on throttle bodies.
And give it a good twice over to see what if anything has been changed/upgraded
Then read stickies up top to help you out in set up
Come back soon and let us know how you like it.
Welcome to the family!!!!!!!

D
Dec 30, 2008
Cle Elum, WA
Hahaha I love this place!

By skimmed I mean I stopped READING at page five. I have read the read before u buy more then a few times. (well the first two pages.)
I do have scrachers, but will removing the rad make her run cooler, or just save the headache of green fluid on the ground and a tow out when bumper meets tree.

I'll have together to a computer to check out that manual. On the iPhone because there's no www at my house :-(

how much did those intake boots run you?

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
This will tell you what the check engine light is blinking.

06troublecodes.jpg

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
This really is a reat place to get info and help. These guys really are the best. It has saved me many times! Congrats on your new purchase and I hope she runs good for ya.

R
Nov 20, 2009
Spend the 100 bucks first if you can, you can always stay away from trees by how crazy you get and "stage" somewhere to cool down. Just my 2 pennys worth. Atleast you won't pop yer motor! :face-icon-small-hap

F

FatBoyzfrenchy

Nov 26, 2007
The bog and check engine looks like it could be a stator issue. You may want to check the stator harness for any damage directly under the ECU. There's a bend in the harness and the exposed wires are rubbing on the tunnel and it is shorting out that circuit to the frame. You will have to remove the gas tank to get to that harness. I had many problems with wire damage on my 900, they were all due to frame cutting through the insulation on the wires.
Also monitor your oil consumption for extreme usage and fouled plugs. I have a fix for that.
My .02
FBF.

Premium Features