• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 RMK fuel lines - had a WTF? moment

F
Sep 11, 2008
Williams Lake, BC
I have an 05 RMK 900 and a friend has a pair of 06 RMK 900's.

He recently had the fuel filter replaced at the dealer, and last sunday while out on a ride it started spewing fuel out the bottom of the sled. We took a look last night, energized the pump and saw the fuel pouring out of the fuel line below the filter. We peeled back the hard protective sleeve (split loom) and saw where the braided black cloth on the fuel line was broken and leaking fuel. Ok, something happened there, it happens. Now the WTF? moment..... we cut the fuel line to splice in a barb and repair the line. Well, this is not a rubber or silicone or anything else remotely flexible line. It is a hard plastic covered by the black cloth braided sleeve. First of all - WHY? would anyone use a hard plastic line and then cover it with a flexible sleeve? I'm glad I helped him out with this because I learned a valuable lesson - DO NOT BEND THE 900 FUEL LINES. They look like they are flexible, but if you bend them to a certain point they will simply snap!
Secondly, how did this line break? We strongly suspect that the shop naturally assumed it was a flexible line and bent it while doing the filter swap. The line was in it's proper position, covered by the hard split loom protector so it didn't get pinched or abraded because of riding the sled. For that to happen, someone had their hand in there and moved stuff around.
Our barb with hose clamps repair didn't hold, and this line is the whole fuel rail so hopefully the dealer will make it right for my friend.

Does the engine have to be removed to replace this rail? It almost looks like removing the fuel tank would make the job easier. anyone have experience with this?

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
I have an 05 fusion and when I took it to dynotech research in NY we could not get the fuel line off at the tank. The dyno guy asked if he could cut it to hook up his fuel flow meter- he says he has done this to several 05's before cause they are a PITA to disconnect them. Well that was 2 years ago and it has held up fine. We ended up putting a double barb with 2 hose clamps on each side. This is right where the line was bolted to the head tab. I remove my fuel lines from that splice all the time. You have to really crank those hose clamps to get it to seal. I did have to put new hose clamps in and I use a socket to tighten them. Now an 05 has 60 psi fuel pressure the 06 is double that so you may have a harder time sealing it. You have to pull the motor to change them too. Also to check for leaks apply 12 volts to the fuel prime. That way you won't have to have sled running and spraying fuel on hot motor.

F
Sep 11, 2008
Williams Lake, BC
thanks Luba, appreciate that info. We did use the 12v connetor to run the fuel pump without the engine - definitely a handy feature. The line that was cut for yours - was it, in fact, a hard plastic line? Because we did crank the hose clamps down really good (using a nut driver, not screwdriver), but we were using a plastic barbed connector. We should try it again with a brass connector and try to crank it down more.

backcntryrider2000

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Hanlontown Ia
Ford used plastic lines on their trucks and the dealers were sent tools and connectors to splice these plastic lines. I have used the splice tools on the trucks and the lines on the 900 seem to be the same type. you could try to get a ford dealer to help you out maybe.

L
Dec 24, 2007
Bay City, Michigan
Yes throw that plastic barb in the junk and get a brass one and 4 steel hose clamps. Yes my line is plastic on the inside. I thought I cracked it cause I have had it apart 10 times or so. But it has held up. I do plan on changing it out to a new line next time the motor comes out. I have seen those plastic auto line splice kits not sure they could hold 120 psi like your 06 has-i dunno. Just make sure you get the right size barb and splice kit if you go that route.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Ck with a friendly shop in your area about repairing the line,automotive manufacturers have used this set up for years and they can be fixed with the right tools/couplers.
It still sucks though!

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Hmm intersting read. The hose that connects to the rail and to the filter is kinda long. Did they do that so if your filter plugs you can connect it right to the tank?

Premium Features