• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

front shocks/alignment tool

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Hello?
Does this mean no one knows or is it cause I am a flatlander haha please could someone help I have a date with a yamaha nitro and I have been beekin ALOT
A stock non boosted Nytro? Better leave your broken motor mounts in so he has a chance:face-icon-small-hap Where did the beer smiley go???

There's so much to clutching that I have yet to fully grasp, but it is said that you should throw a steep helix at the 900 in any chassis form unless its a drag sled and will show all sorts of improvements. Alot of guys recommend the 66-44 helix like sleddude did a few posts back.
When I did my clutching this year, Carls Cycle did not have that helix in their inventory and they recommended a 64-44 for me. I did many changes at once since I was converting a Switchback to a mountain sled, so I can't tell you what a helix alone is going to do for you, but I can tell you that after the changes to the secondary setup I will list below, I have WAY cooler belt and clutch temps and it out-performs stock in every way except top speed, but that's because I significantly lowered my gearing.
Hopefully someone with more experience will speak up and tell you what parts of my setup will, and will not work for you. You may get away with a simple helix swap alone.

Home elevation is 4200'
my motor is stock with an MBRP can and Fire n Ice intake
Lots of venting
19/42 gearing gives me a top speed of 72mph on the speedo at 7600rpm
151x2.4 track

Team 420409 - 64-40ER.46/64-44ER .46 helix (in the bold track)
Team 210184 - red/pink secondary spring 140-260
Delrin washer under spring cup and on other end of spring

As far as tuning for the odd mountain trip, you should really only need to tune for rpm at higher elevation. Some people do this with springs, some with weights, I find weights easier to change on the trail, although they are much more expensive to buy.

Someone care to chime in and help here?

Dan

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
Thanks for the additional info. Got my machine fired up tonight after doing the maintenance on it. My memory was a little off on the max rpm. Guage only shows 7800 rpm max and 86 mph. Itching to take her for a rip. Only thing missing is the snow.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I don't recommend using your MFD's max rpm memory function for clutching, they seem to record spikes in rpm that we never actually see on the tach. Watch your tach and use that as your judgment on running rpm.

If you haven't looked through it already, here is a good thread on 900 clutching and gearing with some solid info. (Taken from Mountainhorse's useful links sticky)
http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115861

Premium Features