• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PRO-RMK STRUCTURAL ADHESIVES: WHAT TO USE, WHERE TO GET IT

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Follow up question:

If a part is heated up and removed after it had been assembled with the adhesive, what is the clean up process to remove the old adhesive?

I imagine that the bonding area would need to be cleaned up good before re-applying new adhesive.

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Makes sense, but...

(Let me take a moment and remove any gutters, done!)

On the Pro front structure there is a male/female connection. If you are re-using the female receptacle, how do you clean the inside of this part?

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I went to my local bodyshop and bought the proper adhesive. They had a wide array of different adhesives for different applications with different work times. The nozzle was 5 bucks and he sold me a part tube, so all together I spent $25. I borrowed the applicator gun for the night so it worked out to be a cheap repair. Not that this is the same option for everyone, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
What is the right clean up chemical for the Lord glue? I was thinking of dropping the Clecos in a cup of this cleaner right when I take them off to try and salvage them from the glue.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
What is the right clean up chemical for the Lord glue? I was thinking of dropping the Clecos in a cup of this cleaner right
when I take them off to try and salvage them from the glue.[/QUOT

I can't figure out why you have glue on clecos. Take boards and clecos off, glue, bolt boards and rivit. Need a clamp to get one or two rivits and then your golden. Why put the clecos back in? Everybody made it sound like you hardly have enough time before glue drys. There is plenty of time to do it by yourself and cleanup. Air riviter is a must and a cordless impact with a socket adapter is nice.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Does anyone have any recommendations where to order the application kit and adhesive? What kind of prices are you guys paying? Thanks in advance, Matt

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Well, it that's the wrong stuff, it's too late now. I guess I'll find out soon enough eh? I can tell you that after it was cured, I couldn't pull it back off.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Well, it that's the wrong stuff, it's too late now. I guess I'll find out soon enough eh? I can tell you that after it was cured, I couldn't pull it back off.

You are fine, you don't need the glass beads. It just insures a more uniform thickness (application), but otherwise it's the same stuff.

I have used both and can't see a difference.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
Thanks. I thought my torque wrench, chaincase bearings and shafts would insure even thickness ;) Like I said, once it set up, I couldn't pull it back off so I was going for it. Still have enough left for doing my new running boards too :D

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Anybody try just glue and just a few rivets (to set alignment) with running boards? If the glue is as strong as thought it seems like adding the rivets is just extra weight (reason for glue?).

I am thinking of reglueing my 2013 drive shaft before use (worry wart maybe but changing drivers anyway). There looks to be about a 1/4"ish of overlap in the hexshaft to stub end interface. This is very little surface area and only 6 thrust points with zero fasteners in a very high torque application.

Wouldn't the use of the glue eliminate the need for fasteners except to align things during curetime?

Another question. Does this glue require pressure while curing? Or, do you simply need to apply enough force to stop any movement until fully cured. What is total cure time until max strength.

Last edited:
Premium Features