• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting Unstuck

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I use pin and wiggle to not get stuck. I shook the bejesus out of mine this weekend so I didn't get stuck. Nothing dangerous about it except my buddy trying to follow me on his turbo. Didn't work out for him. If stuck I also rap mine up and yank on it to saw it out of trench so I can roll it over. That is fine if you want to shovel but I don't want to and it is a lot faster my way. There are different circumstances for every stuck and more than one way to skin a cat. Pick what works for you.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
I use pin and wiggle to not get stuck. I shook the bejesus out of mine this weekend so I didn't get stuck. Nothing dangerous about it except my buddy trying to follow me on his turbo. Didn't work out for him. If stuck I also rap mine up and yank on it to saw it out of trench so I can roll it over. That is fine if you want to shovel but I don't want to and it is a lot faster my way. There are different circumstances for every stuck and more than one way to skin a cat. Pick what works for you.

Pretty hard on the sled but, yes, whatever you think works. Glad I don't have to buy used sleds from guys like you. Faster? Like you said every stuck is different. My way was faster than my buddys on 174/175 Doo's trying to pin and wiggle last weekend, and one of those sleds came out broken because they caught a stump trying to get unstuck using your method. Same sled, same guy tore his track that way last season.

I don't care how you treat your sled, or how badazz a rider you think you are. What you guys are talking about may not be dangerous but it is really hard on sleds.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My sleds look great and I don't do it over rocks stump ,etc. I am not an idiot but i bought it to ride. I have scratches on side panes. I don't break them in either. Ride it like I'm going to ride it and it's weird but they last as long as anybody else. If I wreck something I have to pay for it just as you do. I not one to run through the rocks and say the arms are weak.

Last edited:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Lots of ways to get unstuck, ALL the easy and fast ones don’t involve a shovel. If you ride with a good group your buds are there before the swearing stops. I’ve learned many by paying attention to how the more experienced guys in my group or guys I ride with get out. Holding throttle wide open for 2,3,4 seconds isn’t hurting anything. A 4 second pin seems like a LONG one too.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Lots of ways to get unstuck, ALL the easy and fast ones don’t involve a shovel. If you ride with a good group your buds are there before the swearing stops. I’ve learned many by paying attention to how the more experienced guys in my group or guys I ride with get out. Holding throttle wide open for 2,3,4 seconds isn’t hurting anything. A 4 second pin seems like a LONG one too.

The “correct” amount of throttle and the right dance on the boards and your out! Done!
Timid on the throttle.. shovel comes out too quick!
Stuck a few too many times, left for dead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapow

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Snobunjee’s for meadows and roads. Valueless for real world real stucks in the mountains when you’re pointed uphill on a steep slope full of trees and you’re blocking the only line possible. Even rolling the sled often isn’t even a good option for those scenarios. You gotta dig.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Over 20 yrs of riding and I’ve Never once used a shovel to dig out.

My bunjie just wraps around my bumper, hooks forward to each rail.
Never had it hook or snag riding tight trees. Very handy in tight trees/ steep slopes when used as a helper instead of a slingshot.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Makes me wonder if this thread would have went different if dave didnt post it.

I think the world of Dave, he is a great asset to Ski Doo. We just side tracked his thread to talk about how horrible shovels and digging is.:face-icon-small-coo

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
For what it’s worth I have no clue who Dave is, so no prejudice here....

B
To the guys against using a shovel you obviously rely on your riding partners too much I have never needed someone to come pull me out and ride alone for the most part id rather spend 10 minutes on the shovel than need someone to save me if a guy or gal isn't capable of freeing there own sled than probably should stick to the trails I don't have a problem helping stuck riders and most of the time I don't know them but I'm not gonna sit there with my shovel in pack and thumb in ass waiting for help

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Never pull out a shovel unless the world is coming to an end. 99% of the time there are easier ways to get unstuck. If my buddy comes along he will pull on a ski as I will for him. Always help each other and ride in a pair so usually know if the other is stuck.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Big assumption, I never wait for help, never use shovel. I can move more snow in a couple of steps with my feet and then it becomes a firm base and off I go.
Pretty common if one of us is stuck we all are, only help each other when drastic. Most times we get ourselves out faster than others can get to us anyway.

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
I get myself out all the time. Rarely am I so barely stuck that stomping gets me out. I'm a shoveler and I'm not ashamed :face-icon-small-coo

B
When I get stuck it's usually a head in the ass moment and I'm really stuck you'll be stomping for days in deeep powder to get a firm base and a ski pull does little when your wedged in a steep face unless you're hooked to a long line heli dunno what you guys have against shoveling it a nessary tool in the back country

Premium Features