• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 kx450 questions

M
Jan 2, 2016
I just have a question regarding air forks I have 2013 kx450f I really want to build a snowbike thinking about buying a fx450 on a pretty good deal but I’m willing to go bare bones I just want to to know how I get around the air fork issue they will never work for snowbiking

M
Jan 2, 2016
UPDATE 2013KX450 SNOWBIKE QUESTIONS

Could use any 48mm fork set? I found a set of oil forks off an 2004 KX250F for super cheap I have the means to get them resprung and adjusted would this be a viable option?

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
While I have no personal experience I have a friend who uses kx air forks. He puts on fork socks and greases the fork dust seals and they work fine, no loss of air.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Could use any 48mm fork set? I found a set of oil forks off an 2004 KX250F for super cheap I have the means to get them resprung and adjusted would this be a viable option?

The 48mm number as you know is the tube dimension. What you need to know is the triple clamp dimensions. If you buy a set of forks it might be best to find a set with the triples included. From there go to the All Balls site and use their fork converter to find a conversion bearing. This still doesn't guarantee the stems will be the correct length. So bottom line is you will need to do some homework and measuring if you want to be certain. If the clamp dimensions are the same that's by far the easiest swap. Straight bolt on.

M5

M
Jan 2, 2016
So what year of Kawi does your friend have? Just curious I have the first generation of air forks so single chamber does anyone know about oil conversions or if the air pro works on air forks I don’t onow anything about the air pro setup

Zad

Premium Member
Jan 8, 2017
He’s got a 2013 I think, either that or a ‘14. I also bought a ‘14 this summer to snowbike (have not used it yet) and I bought it after reading a number of threads where people used air forks with socks and had no troubles with air loss. From what I understand if you have a warm garage where your bike can dry out overnight and you grease the fork seals and use socks it’s rare to lose air on them.

Last edited:
M
Jan 2, 2016
Zad I think I’m buying a raw 120 kit this week for the Kawi just gonna go cheap and see how she holds up ?? I would love to know if you have any setup tips or help tips for the kx450 snowbike please let me know message me on here I’ll be pretty active I’m very novice in snowbike setup maintenance etc. been reading a bunch of these forums any help is appreciated thanks ??

ferndeeohgee

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2018
2013 KX450F

I have a 2013 KX450F with a 2015 Timbersled 120. I have spent a lot of time getting this set up decent and am pretty happy with the results. The forks lost air pressure on me for the first time on December 24 while out in the middle of nowhere with about 3 feet of powder on top of 4-6 feet of set up snow. I was able to ride out about 12 miles with virtually no problem aside from the expected loss of front end suspension. I do not blame the forks as this was completely my fault because I hastily took the chance of riding without checking the air pressure the day of or changing the fork oil pre-season. Afterwards, I put in SKF seals and 15 weight oil and went way up beyond the clouds for a day of hard pack conditions and the forks maintained air pressure even after some really hard hits and a few miles of teeth chattering washboard. I recommend the works connection air fork ez fill shrader valves and carrying an air pump. I did not have either on December 24 but believe that had I topped up the air I could have continued to ride as normal. I also believe that adding a little silicone grease under the dust seal cannot hurt.

oldsno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2009
Yep running a 13 solid motor,get a thermostat for a klr 650 fits right

on the right side of motor ez pz no bob needed. l put timber air filter

cover on and skin type fabric over side panel venting. as stated carry

your pump mine has worked great had pow coming over my head on
a couple downhills never has sputtered once....Ha cr 500 a couple seasons way more hassle,,,,,,,,enjoy

Premium Features