• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When to turbo?

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Looking for a little input on when to turbo. My original plan was gonna be to snowcheck a new sled this spring and snowcheck a sidekick as well. Does boondocker have good snowcheck options where a guy can save a buck VS buying one now in season? Or do I buy one now and put it on this sled which has around 850 miles? Because im unsure of turboing a sled that has close to 1000 miles as i usually get rid of them around 1300-1500 miles. But then again if i snowcheck ill have alot of money dumped into a sled that will potentially be the “old iron” after next season. Just a little torn between the options looking for input! Thanks

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Do it right out of the gate when it's brand new. Turboing an older sled just adds more things than could be wrong when you are trying to figure out why it isn't running right. Unless of course you buy a Silber. They have zero problems and run flawless. Just ask the Silber guy if you don't believe me. He will tell you :face-icon-small-dis

T
Flawless turbo! ?, i agree with everything above, now as far as running flawless, sliber has been the most hassle free that ive run so far, but anytime you mod a sled its going to give you a few fits! Hell stock sleds will give you problems. If you can afford to turbo a new sled.. do it! But turboing a sled with 750 miles should be fine as long the sled was stock its entire life, id recommend new reeds just to be safe. My 18 gen4 850 with silber on 7lbs runs better than any of the previous 5 turbos ive built, but im only at 400 miles so far.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Insert “Kanedogs” response here!

He said you suck
____________________________________!
19tooth top gear!

Whoops!
Should have added more room for him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

snoblind04

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Western Wyoming
I turbo'd mine at 400 miles. I wanted to get it off break-in and make sure it was running good. I'm at 2000 now.

If you still plan on getting rid of it at 1500 miles, I'd probably do it to a new one.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Looking for a little input on when to turbo. My original plan was gonna be to snowcheck a new sled this spring and snowcheck a sidekick as well. Does boondocker have good snowcheck options where a guy can save a buck VS buying one now in season? Or do I buy one now and put it on this sled which has around 850 miles? Because im unsure of turboing a sled that has close to 1000 miles as i usually get rid of them around 1300-1500 miles. But then again if i snowcheck ill have alot of money dumped into a sled that will potentially be the “old iron” after next season. Just a little torn between the options looking for input! Thanks

I work for Silber as their web guy. Have no problems commenting on other kits, but I'm transparent about where my bias is.

Few thoughts...

1) BD hasn't done a snowcheck where they save you money. They will include color options or maybe a jacket. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't know that they've ever run any sort of deal, in season or pre season.

2) As far as "when to turbo" there is no perfect answer. Plenty of guys do with 0 miles on them. I usually wait till about 100, as I'm fairly certain I don't have a lemon or any obvious issue has come up. If you are going to turbo a sled with 1000 miles, no big deal. I wouldn't hesitate to do so, but I would double check all wear parts are in good shape, compression is good, clutches functioning properly etc. Good time to do a bunch of work anyway!

Yes, Silber does do a snowcheck where you can save a good chunk. But you obviously didn't ask about that brand - I hear BD's kit runs fine - on a new sled or one with some milage, the ones I've been around are great, too.

Best of luck!

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
What are some incentives of goin with a silber vs boondocker? Price difference? Whats silbers snowcheck programs? Only reason I've had my mindset on a sidekick is because I've been around those the most and they seem like a solid product. We travel far to ride so the last thing I wanna do is get out there and have a sled that doesn't wanna run right. Although we bring a spare if room allows. Definately open to suggestions I guess.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I work for Silber as their web guy. Have no problems commenting on other kits, but I'm transparent about where my bias is.

So you are their web guy that comes on here spouting the most biased posts of anyone on this forum that acts like a know it all Tech guy correcting others but you're just a web guy? Why is it that you also use the forum to push Silber so hard yet you are too cheap to even pay to be a member of the forum? Silber must be a real liberal company if they pay you to come on here and post this crap for free yet too cheap to get you at the very least a membership to this forum or better yet pay and advertise here to support it. I also find it funny they hire a web guy that has the mentality of a 12 year old who thumbs down all my posts. You win the internet tool bag :thumb:

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
What are some incentives of goin with a silber vs boondocker? Price difference? Whats silbers snowcheck programs? Only reason I've had my mindset on a sidekick is because I've been around those the most and they seem like a solid product. We travel far to ride so the last thing I wanna do is get out there and have a sled that doesn't wanna run right. Although we bring a spare if room allows. Definately open to suggestions I guess.

I would get what others in your area have or the shop you go to has experience with. Turbos can be very fickle and the more you have, with more experience can really help you diagnos stuff.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

Hey dude!

Here is the best thing I can tell you regarding the whole BD vs Silber thing. Go try and find both kits on snow. Ride them if you can. Compare them. My bet is you won't notice a lot of difference between the two. So long as they are setup right, they both run really well.

Technically, they work a bit different. One relies on the ECU being reflashed to deal with the fueling requirements of boost. The other uses a piggyback computer to deal with fueling. One uses an open loop external wastegate whereby boost is adjusted mechanically, the other uses an electronic boost control and an internal wastegate. One you can't use below 5000 feet, the other is good to sea level...but octane needs to be watched.

Both kits come with everything you need to get on snow. Both use the same size turbo. Both are easy-ish to install, though one is a bit easier than the other ;)

Point is, you'll have fun either way. Again, I'm biased, and say so up front! But I also help out around Silber because I believe in the product, and run it myself!

Hope that helps - PM me for more info! Happy to help!

Oh, and Silber's snowcheck pricing for the kit was $3250 last year. Not sure what it'll be this year.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
So you are their web guy that comes on here spouting the most biased posts of anyone on this forum that acts like a know it all Tech guy correcting others but you're just a web guy? Why is it that you also use the forum to push Silber so hard yet you are too cheap to even pay to be a member of the forum? Silber must be a real liberal company if they pay you to come on here and post this crap for free yet too cheap to get you at the very least a membership to this forum or better yet pay and advertise here to support it. I also find it funny they hire a web guy that has the mentality of a 12 year old who thumbs down all my posts. You win the internet tool bag :thumb:

Huh?

Snow4life

Lifetime Membership
Sep 30, 2012
Aberdeen, South Dakota
Well we rode with a silber 850 doo all weekend. Fun sled! But it kept blowing off the intake hose behind the clutch creating a boost leak. Must've happened 10 times in one day.

Anyone else have this problem?

Premium Features