• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Good sled choice for a 15yo girl?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
My daughter is 15yo, 5'4" 125lbs. She's got experience riding trails and some minor off trail stuff but has never been boondocking in the backcountry. She is showing interest in riding off trail with me and I'd like to get her on something reliable to see if she's into it or not.

What should I be looking at for her? It should have reverse and electric start, that's a given. She's not aggressive, so the easier I can make it for her to ride, the better. Are the Polaris non-Pro RMK 600s decent? My 16yo son would probably ride this as well. He's 6'0" and 150lbs.

I'd like to keep the price reasonable if possible. I'm not adverse to renting, but I don't really want to deal with having the sled back by X time every day.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
@ 5' 4" she has 2 inches and 10lbs on Val.

Val rides an Axys Pro 163" 3"...aggressively. Before that she rode a Pro Ride Pro 155 then a Pro 163. She has ridden a 600 Pro (after a couple years on 800 and before Axys came out) asked her if she preferred it and she said she wouldn't give up 800 power. We also ride at 6-8000' so we lose power versus lower elevations.

If you are looking at a sled for your daughter and son 155" minimum, Estart might be necessary for your daughter on ProRide 800, but Axys 800 pulls over a lot easier.

600 Polaris are real popular and definitely been more reliable than 800 Polaris engines. Personally, I think the Poo 800 motor has made big strides reliability wise after 2013. Where the Pro Chassis shines is the ability of a small rider to put it up on edge. Val rarely has both skis on the snow.

Last edited:

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
My 4 teenage girls all love m7's & 8's.
Pretty easy to find around $2500
They all pull their own rope.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
They all grew up on yammys, have friends with other brands theyve ridden, but fight over the m's. Can add electric reverse to the old ones for $300 so don't overlook them.
My oldest (when 10) was bugging me to ride my brand new 09 m1000, told her "if you can start it" and walked away problem solved. Then I hear it fire!!
Now she's taught her sisters to squat by the rope, hold tight to body, and shove out backwards and down with their legs. Makes a pretty proud kid.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I just bought my daughter a m6

she is the same size as yours, she is very happy, but it is a turbo m6, I got way to good of a deal , not too buy it.lol

Dec 5, 2015
Minnesota
If she's going to find out if boondocking and back country is the next step in her evolution of riding. But will still be trail riding for sure. I'd find her a 600 RMK 144 with 2"paddle. Be a capable off trail sled, while still being a sled that can be ridden on trail also.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Finding a sled for her up here has been a challenge. I'm trying to avoid driving a bunch to get one as my time before our trip is limited :(

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Most guys can't even ride the 600 past its limits. It's a great sled.

I ride with one of these guys, yet he has to have boost on his 800's!

X2 on the Polaris 600, I love my wife's small block. She wanted the 800 till a 600 showed up at her door step at her college graduation. She super happy I got her the 600 and not the 800 and has to let me know every other time we go riding!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I managed to pick up a 2014 Summit X 154 for her. It doesn't currently have E-start, but that's next. She's pretty excited, we have a week planned in BC at the end of March. I may try to get her into a women's clinic if $$ permits.

rocks rev

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Flat Tops Colorado
Disconnecting the sway bar makes a big difference off trail for lighter riders on the XM, carry a couple 10mm wrenches and have her try with and without it hooked. If it helps just invest in the quick disconnect so she still has stability on the trail.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Good tip, I'll keep that in mind if she's struggling! My wife's freeride has the quick disconnect on it, but I don't remember if we tried removing it or not.

Premium Features