• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RH powder bog ?!

B
Mar 31, 2010
Hey guys. Bone stock 2018 sled rips no doubt, there are 3 of us that bought them we are all fighting real bad powder bogs on the right hand side especially if ur sidehilling thru the trees not super fast, dosent like to clear out either gotta get the pipe right out of the snow, anyone else dealing with this issue? Any fixes different can? Etc thx. All the sleds are off break in also .

Last edited:

Crazyj700

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2012
Same here, bone stock 2018 mountain cat except mine was doing it on the left side as well. I guess it's possible my exhaust was getting plugged sidehilling on the left side. I was kinda thinking I was running out of air However it would not clean up by wiping off the intake screens. Once it bogged it was over, it took a while to get it cleared up.

ijstjohn

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2008
North Idaho
Same. Today was crazy deep dry pow and my intakes were no doubt covered but it was frustrating to say the least. Mostly coming down hill through the powder it would bog bad. Was on good snow yesterday not as deep and it never missed a beat. I took the hood off found a couple of frost/ice pieces inside the intake. The sled is an animal but we need to figure out this bog for sure.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Sounds like an exhaust issue to me. How far does the can pipe stick out the bottom?

I haven't gotten my sleds back from Cat yet, but I did notice my 153 High countries do have an exhaust port protector on it. Are the mountain cats and Ms the same?

L

leeindubois

Nov 20, 2007
Dubois, Wyoming
bog

Same here. sled bogs doing powder turns on both sides in very deep snow, not just the right. I can usually get it to clean out by burping the throttle a few times quick.

B
Mar 31, 2010
Sounds like an exhaust issue to me. How far does the can pipe stick out the bottom?

I haven't gotten my sleds back from Cat yet, but I did notice my 153 High countries do have an exhaust port protector on it. Are the mountain cats and Ms the same?

My can sticks outs maybe 1/2” thru the bottom, there is a snow deflector just in front of the exhaust outlet

T

tar

Nov 26, 2007
Sumas WA
My 18 was running crappy, died when I put it in reverse to turn around.
Took a long time to restart. When it did finally start it was running on one cylinder. Took a while to clear out. Brought it back to the dealer. Dealer found a short to ground on one of the fuel injectors. The injector harness was rubbing on the motor.
Not sure this is the issue with you but this is something to look out for.
Tar

Kingkittycat

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2017
Fairchild, Wisconsin
Powder bog

Hey fellow riders, I strongly believe your injesting snow, not exhaust problem. The fact that some guys have a bog on the right side too, is key clue here.
Start at the throttle bodies and work your way back to the frogskin covers. Look for any gaps or poor fitment in the intake plenum. Use silicon and those frogskin stick ons of various sizes they sell to cover holes.
I have an 06 king and there were tons of people complaining about right side bog on them and the 1m's. Everybody said it was the exhaust, cat even went to a front dump. I found two slotted holes above the foot wells on each side of intake plenum. Another hole big enough to stick a 2x4 through by the brake rotor. Not to mention the intake vents sloppy fit and the gaps between the dash and intake plenum opening on each side. A couple guys took their tool box lid off and found snow inside. That should have been the red flag its not the exhaust!
Guys, next time it happens, stop asap and look inside your intake for snow. It might be melted by the time you look, but any moisture is a clear indication of snow being sucked in. Good luck and don't forget to post your findings and how it was fixed so guys have a reference for future readings.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
We had an 18 kitty in the group this weekend in some awesome over the hood pow. Pretty much no RH sidehills for him or they ended up in all sorts of dumb spots from the bogging. He even has a custom extended exhaust deflector to try and deal with it. Looks like it may be starting more up the line then the xhaust outlet.

I did notice the intake tracts had a bit of snow down in them when we were stopped at one point. Having him check it all over and see if that leading into the problem.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
We had fairly deep snow yesterday and i could stop and go and slow sidehill on both sides without issue. My 14 with the long SLP can would bog on the right when i tried to go slow till i cut the back half of the cans outlet off.

Mountain Cat

B
Mar 31, 2010
Me and another 18 mtn cat went out today was deep and cold, bogging off and on really bad all day if we were in powder
Popped the intakes off when we got home full of snow and ice

0A5EF650-7922-4F66-B44A-BE354C178D59.jpg 38328784-C773-4FD8-B8E6-5D971A94F298.jpg

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Mine is doing this also. Right hand exhaust bogs. My outlet of my diamond s can I cut down 3/4 of an inch. It helped a bunch. But it still does it when I really get into it on the right side on side Hills. I don't think mine's an intake issue because it was doing it on a day where there was no snow on the intakes.

Guess Ill check my injector harness today. it seems like a computer or electrical issue also. Because when it bogs you can get the exhaust out of the snow and it'll keep bogging until you completely let off the throttle and then get back into it.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe check to see if this has happened?

12578ef6c053bbe9aebfc6cd94af8133.jpg
Maybe check to see if this has happened?

From another thread.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
That is from an aftermarket pipe. I don’t think it is relevant to the bogging issue.
I think he was thinking about the correlation between snow in the intake and the melted hole.
For the record I haven't had any bogging issues with mine yet, but haven't ridden in deep deep snow only 12-18 inches

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S
Nov 5, 2014
Was out in handle bar deep for consecutive days last week, no bogs at all, sled never skipped a beat.

Most of the time sled was completely under the snow and still never had any sort of bog.

I have had it die when going from reverse to forward, but I think it's damm near flooded.

Are you guys all off breakin?
(more than 10 hrs?)
Cause I know mine was a little boggy with the extra fuel and oil.

Have you taken your hood off?
Maybe it isn't going back together properly?

I am getting a ton of snow inside the hood, which I don't like. The side panel vents need prefilter and probably a few extra vents to make up for the prefiltering those ones.

And that hole between the steering post and the goggle bag is a magnet for snow.
Need a fix for this if anyone has any ideas.

Have you checked the ice up switch in the throttle block? Unplug the micro switch, sometimes that will cause it to bog.

Do you melt off your sled every night or is it frozen on a sled deck?

Is there a certain rpm it happens at?

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

Premium Features