• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Mountain Performance Inc, Stage 1 & 2 Supercharger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Might be the difference between your finger and that little belt tension measuring device they suggested.

They are saying 15-20lb for 1/4 inch deflection.

My short bolt was 100% MAXED out.
The long bolt is just over 50% now.

So "IF" the belt does loosen up at all I now have room to adjust it.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Better hurry up Chris, time's a wastin'...

Stage II throwin' 250ish @ 12.5 PSI - 'bout 1/2 throttle thru most of this... kinda on rock patrol. Custom OFT fuel control and clutching of course... :face-icon-small-win

Kinda made those new Cat's embarrased all day... but they are fun to ride too -

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Our snow right now SUCKS!
I didn't even bother to go ride this weekend because it SUCKS SO BAD.

Honestly Chris! The snow sucks to bad? You have been working on the darn sled for 6 months and you don't even wanna go ride it on sucky snow just to see how things are? SAD. . . .

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I got in one ride so far.
I was desperate, so I rode a Turbo Cat!

But since then what little snow we had has gotten even worse.
We are sucking wind big time in my corner of Idaho right now.
Its another clear sunny day.

STRANGE DANG WEATHER.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
I got in one ride so far.
I was desperate, so I rode a Turbo Cat!

But since then what little snow we had has gotten even worse.
We are sucking wind big time in my corner of Idaho right now.
Its another clear sunny day.

STRANGE DANG WEATHER.

But don't you wanna get out do a little road ride on the super nytro and see how it goes. A few easy miles. . . So when the big pow day comes you know that you have ran a few miles and it is ready to rock. Don't get me wrong I know that you put alot of time into the install but still this was a big project for you with having almost the entire sled apart. I would rather find out this bolt or that bolt is not tight on the trail than have it wreck a awesome powder day.

It really amazes me how the guys out west are. It is what 70 miles to Island park and 90 to west? If I was that close there would be days i would trailer up to ride if I could only ride 4 hours. We drive 15-18hours to ride where you can get to in 90 minutes. I could only wish.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Right now I am waiting on a replacement set of handlebars to arrive.
Once I have those in my hot little hands the whole sled FINALLY goes back together. They have taken a couple week longer than I every expected to arrive. Without them I can't reassemble the electronics for the Nytro, so I am just patiently biding my time.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
It really amazes me how the guys out west are. We drive 15-18hours to ride where you can get to in 90 minutes. I could only wish.

90 minutes...Many of us can be at the parking lot in 20. I agree we get pretty spoiled out her, but I'm with Christopher. I have done about the same amount of work this summer/fall but to me its just not quite worth it to go yet. I for one can't stay on the trail and you got a pretty good shot of tanking a rock or stump at this point. Then you really may be out for when we get the snow. I am waiting it out too.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I have 3 sleds.

Nytrocity is NOT going to be sacrificed to poor snow.

I am patient and WILL WAIT for good snow.

Meanwhile I have 2 other sleds and plenty of demos to go ride if need be.

M

Mean Yamaha

May 3, 2008
Laramie WY
www.Team7220.zxq.net
I have had a MPI super on my Vector before they got the break with yamaha and I have called MPI several times and they ALWAYS take time to talk to me and answer any questions I may have. Even help me get all I can out of my kit. Mack and all the people at MPI get two thumbs up from me!!! Am a MPI rider for life!!!!!! Just wanted to let everyone know how good their service is.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My long awaited handlebars finally showed up.
Now I get to finish the installation of the super charger at long last!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Tonight was a GOOD NIGHT.

All the planets aligned and I was able to START NYTROCITY for the first time since July!

Fired right up with NO problems at all.

Only strange thing was seeing all the smoke come out of the Supercharger Oil reservoir.!! That was a bit unsettling.

I can only guess that in those few moments while the supercharger had NO OIL whatever lubricant was in it when it shipped vaporized and was pumped into the oil reservoir.

Moments later the oil started circulating and all was well, but it was tense for a few seconds to see the smoke coming out of the fill hole.!!

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
nice. thanks for all the great mod threads christopher. ive been trying to get good pics while i tinker with mine. it sure isnt the easiest thing to stop working and snap even a few shots. thank you for having the patients to do such an informative job on all your builds.

NOW GET OUT THERE AND RIDE THAT THING!!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
REASSEMBLY

154. Make a COMPLETE AND THOROUGH CHECK for anything that might be able to move and become entangled in or rubbing on the blower drive, the sleds frame, steering linkage and etcetera. Secure anything suspicious out of the way with zip ties.
DONE

155. Reinstall the lower RH & LH lower side pods using all OEM hardware.
Waiting for final work on the clutch, new spring and weights

156. Route The GEMS fuel controller wiring to the RH side of the sled and locate a suitable mounting location. Insure that the wires and the pressure sensing hose will not become entangled in the steering or rub on
anything.
DONE

157. Re-verify that the GEMS’ ground wire is under the bolt holding the radiator mounts to the frame.
DONE

158. Reinstall the front bumper and nose plastic.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

159. Reinstall the OEM Gauge Pod. Connect the wiring for the cigarette lighter, the gauge itself and the keyswitch.
DONE

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FINAL STEPS

160. Fill the blower oil tank with special “Traction Oil”. For the 1st startup only: Fill the supercharge oil tank to within an inch or two of the top. The oil will begin to fill the lines/filter etc. DO NOT TOP OFF at this time!

picture.php

161. Fill the engine’s dry sump oil tank with the recommended Yamaha oil. Initially use only 1 quart. The Nytro is nutoriously difficult to prime. The OEM system has 2 oil pumps. The 1st is called a scavenge pump which pulls oil from the motor and return it to the oil tank. THIS PUMP IS ALWAYS PRIMED AND WILL BE PUMPING IMMEDIATELY ON ENGINE STARTUP. The 2nd pump is the pressure pump for the motor. It is slow to prime. During the time between initial engine startup and the 2nd pump priming you could overflowthe oil tank if more than 1 quart is initially added. (It makes quite a mess!)

NOTE:
In fact the engine went into AUTO-SHUTDOWN twice during the priming sequence. The Nytro will shut down when no oil pressure is detected. So we had to allow it 2 starts and stops before the engine was fully primed.

picture.php

At this time I also filled the Chaincase with Oil

Filled the radiator with Coolent
picture.php

Put gas in the new tank for the first time
picture.php

And we took one final pre-startup step.
We pulled the belt off the clutch.

picture.php

Now, after 5 long months, NYTROCITY was ready to run once again!!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
STARTUP

162. Have someone watch inside the supercharger oil tank with a flashlight. The oil runs down the sides, so it is easiest to observe the oil as it comes down the sides and hits the main body of oil.

NOTE:
While it was EASY to see the level of the oil DROP when the engine started, it was NOT EASY at all to see any return oil coming back into the tank!
picture.php

163. Start the sled. If the oil level does not drop within the first 30 seconds, stop the motor. Once the oil level drops you should also be able to observe return oil. If return oil is not observed within the first 30 seconds, stop the sled.

NOTE:
There was some PUCKER FACTOR here!!
When we first started the motor the oil level did NOT drop.
Not for 10 seconds or so.
And then all at once the whole oil tank FILLED WITH SMOKE!
So we shut down the engine instantly.
Blew all the smoke out so we could see and then saw that the oil level had dropped nearly to the bottom of the tank.
Best guess is that the supercharger heated up VERY QUICKLY and smoked whatever tiny amount of lubricant that was inside of it from the factory before the pump flooded it with fresh oil.

164. If there are any questions about return oil, remove the top banjo
connection from the oil tank, point the hose into a container and restart the sled. If there is no oil, IMMEDIATELY STOP THE SLED AND CALL
YOUR DEALER
. DO NOT RUN THE SLED MORE THAT A TOTAL OF 1 MINUTE WITHOUT SUPERCHARGER OIL FLOW. Longer than 60 seconds of run time without oil flow will cause non-warrantable damage.

165. Recheck the motor oil dry sump tanks oil level. Once the level has dropped fill the motor’s oil tank to the level indicated on the dipstick. Oil level is read with the dipstick sitting on top of the threaded bung. But not threaded in. (both motor and supercharger oil).

166. Recheck the Supercharger’s oil level. The oil level during normal operation should be at the bottom of the dipstick. DO NOT RUN THE SUPERCHARGER’S OIL at the marks indicated on its dipstick. This level is too high for an off-road vehicle such as a snowmobile. Again the SUPERCHARGER’S NORMAL OIL OPERATING LEVEL IS OIL JUST SHOWING ON THE BOTTOM OF THE DIPSTICK.

167. During initial start up, the motor may shut off after several seconds and display a code 30. This means low oil pressure. You must turn the key off before attempting a restart. This is normal once or twice. Upon the
2nd startup you might rev up the motor a few times (after you have verified supercharger oil flow), thishelps the motor’s pressure oil pump prime. If you get more than 3 motor shutdowns for code 30, contact
your dealer.

NOTE:
This is exactly what I saw.
Engine went through 2 automatic shutdowns as the oil pump primed itself.

168. Check sled for any type of leaks, rubbing, or interference of any kind.

NOTE:
Happy to report that 24 hours later there were NO LEAKS or DRIPS of any kind!!

169. Recheck engine and supercharger oil levels.

170. Start up and recheck everything.

I have to admit that there was some real trepidation as we turned the key the first time.
Just nervousness over all the work I had done to the sled this summer.
So it was a HUGE RELEIF that she fired right up on the very first try without any hesitation at all.
And then after the oil pump was primed just purred as happy as could be.

Waiting on a new primary spring and clutch weights to be installed in the next couple days.
Then we will put a fresh new belt on and be ready to take her out of the garage for her first ride!!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Still Working on this project.

Not being happy with the stock MPI Oil Breather system, I wanted to re-install my Jacobson Rollover Kit.

Finished the Oil Tank install today by plumbing in my Jacobson Rollover Valve and installing a breather down low beneath the oil tank.

I did my best to use existing hose that was left over after my supercharger was installed so I had something with a nice curve in it to go over the edge.
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=25172.pagespeed.ic.JSzk4NZlVa.jpg

Ran it down the side, used a joiner and added a few more inches of straight oil resistent hose
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=25173.pagespeed.ic.G--8a3eMT4.jpg

And added a small K&N Breather at the bottom to control oil misting.
xpicture.php,qalbumid=1821,apictureid=25174.pagespeed.ic.1KVBLV_XG-.jpg

Premium Features