• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Center shock pressures and rolling sled on it's side

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
So my brother who rides a 18 g4 took my sled today ( he's having a lot of the skidoo no existant belt issues) because he wanted to try the mountain cat out. The one thing he said the Doo did way better way roll into a side hill. He said it was very easy and predicable once he was in the side hill but it was a little harder to initiate. My suspension set up is as follows
55 in the skis
50 center
138 rear

I was thinking if i bumped the center track shock up into the 60-70 range it might pull over a little better.

Thoughts?

T

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Your front pressure seems low to me, but that all depends on your weight.

I think that the biggest difference is just in the nature of the sleds, the t-motion on the doo lets the rider start transferring weight to the uphill side without actually having to get the sled on its edge, then with weight already there the movement onto its edge takes less effort. But the result is that if you are sidehilling across something that has a lot of dips or old tracks, the skid can then move on its own and end up causing the sled to want to turn itself.

My initiation of a sidehill on a Cat has always been a quick tug uphill and throttle blip to spin the track, the 2018 seems to require a less pronounced version of that, but just trying to roll it onto an edge has never worked for me.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
So my brother who rides a 18 g4 took my sled today ( he's having a lot of the skidoo no existant belt issues) because he wanted to try the mountain cat out. The one thing he said the Doo did way better way roll into a side hill. He said it was very easy and predicable once he was in the side hill but it was a little harder to initiate. My suspension set up is as follows
55 in the skis
50 center
138 rear

I was thinking if i bumped the center track shock up into the 60-70 range it might pull over a little better.

Thoughts?

T

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Really the best is to try different settings, i would start with 50 skis 55 center and 125 rear. I try to do this on days where visibility is poor and riding not the best. Make it a test day. I write it down and keep track until i find what make me happy. Sometimes i adjust one position and try it. Just keep in mind what works in the powder may effect the trail. I think having that much in the rear may be adding to much to the front causing the concern.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Try 5psi changes in the skid trev. Small pressures like that can make a big change.

Your sled is nice and looks like it runs good. Too bad Colten dinged it up.

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
The gen4's nature is really a mushmallow ride and very easy to put on the side but this brings the disadvantage of not being predictable and dive a lot.

Each company has a different way, Polaris and Arctic Cat are close but doo have a rather different approach.

I testing many suspension setup for my MC.

My current setup for current snow (we have deep snow) are 65psi on skis, 37psi on fts and 145psi on rts.

Last season on spring snow (hardpack), i ride 62psi ski, 45psi fts and 140psi on rts... but this setup on deep snow, it's climb less, and more wheelie show.

I weight 155lbs + backcountry gear (20lbs)

I ride always at #2 clickers on skis, i playing alot with a rear track shock clicker depending what i doing on day, i choose a #2#3 front track clicker on rough trail or if i want a wheelie whip. Seriously, QS3 are amazing and Cat need to keep this on their sled.

Last edited:
Premium Features