• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New FreeRide- 146” or 154”/S38

I
Dec 21, 2016
New FreeRide- 146” or 154”/S38

I’m anxiously awaiting the new model release, and want to order another, more off trail focused machine.

I currently own a 2016 FreeRide 137” with 21/49 gearing, shimmed secondary, DJ clutching, C&A XTX skis, and 2.25” track. It’s my third season on it, purchased new with 1.75” track as my first off trail capable sled (other machine is a Mach Z 1k). I’ve had several UP trips, Wawa, New York, and most recently West Yellowstone. It really started to shine with the bigger lug track and did well in Yellowstone, but I’m still a novice and it was pretty set & tracked up. I’ve ridden a 2018 FreeRide 146” and a couple Summit X 154” 850’s, all of which in mixed conditions. Although I plan to keep a second sled that’s more trail worthy; weather it be my 137” FreeRide or something else, whatever I get next will see some trail time. Most of its use will likely be in the UP, and maybe one trip West per year. I don’t want to be under-equipped in the powder or have something that’s rediculous overkill either.

I’d welcome your opinions; am I crazy for considering the wider 154” as an option?

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
If your gonna come back to the I.P. area, you'll want to be on a 154. You caught this place at a bad time, hard pack and tracked up, like you said, however, we're reloading, picking up quite a bit of snow the last couple days and more on the way. I have guys come here all the time from the midwest that run 154's with 2.5 tracks and they seem to feel they do pretty well there... i had some guys show up at Xmas with a trailer load of 140 something Cat's, and I pray they never come back... oh my aching back!!

I
Dec 21, 2016
Thanks for your input, fellas. I had about 1/2hr on the Summit X 154” I rode; and other than the narrow stance and soft front end in the trail (which comes with the territory, I know), I was actually pretty impressed. The only time I noticed the extra length in the trails was when I had to use reverse to turn it around in a tight spot; where my 137” would have done it in 2 moves, the 154” took 4....no biggie. It sure did lay on it’s side easily though, and just tractored thru stuff that would have had the throttle on my 137” to the bar! I think the mid-with front end makes sense for me; I don’t ever see myself doing the riding most of the time that will really utilize the narrow width.

My only reservation against possibly getting the 154” is because I’m not certain how much I’ll actually be riding out west, and the thought of it being on the excessive side for mixed UP riding.

M
Feb 22, 2008
To make you feel better about your purchase, I ride the UP all winter. Our entire group is on 154’s/155’s and there are days we wish we had longer. Now this obviously depends on the type of terrain you get yourself into, but a 154 is the perfect sled for the UP. We use to run 137’s and 146’s...just not worth it. The combination of tight trees and heavy lake effect snow means your momentum is always reduced when compared to out West riding. The reduced track speeds mean a longer track will work less and fatigue the rider less.

You’ll enjoy the 154!

I
Dec 21, 2016
To make you feel better about your purchase, I ride the UP all winter. Our entire group is on 154’s/155’s and there are days we wish we had longer. Now this obviously depends on the type of terrain you get yourself into, but a 154 is the perfect sled for the UP. We use to run 137’s and 146’s...just not worth it. The combination of tight trees and heavy lake effect snow means your momentum is always reduced when compared to out West riding. The reduced track speeds mean a longer track will work less and fatigue the rider less.

You’ll enjoy the 154!

Thanks for your input; the reasons you listed are more or less why I decided to go 154”. I want to be able to grow my skills; side hilling, tight areas, climbing, etc without having to ideas much throttle like I do on mine. I’ve learned a lot on my 137” but during our last UP trip over the weekend I switched with my friend on his G4 146” and was amazed on how much easier that was to toss around than mine. Looking forward to being on a machine that’s a bit more forgiving.

3274FFA1-2108-41A1-8B33-E0229A7C0031.jpg 41A006C7-D7E6-4211-855B-C7482D040B66.jpg DB19739A-4C88-4671-A103-A4A9DE1E64A3.jpg FEDB3BD0-DC80-48DC-A724-FC05F359844D.jpeg

Dynamo^Joe

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Thunder Bay, ont
www.iBackshift.com
Thanks for your input, fellas. I had about 1/2hr on the Summit X 154” I rode; and other than the narrow stance and soft front end in the trail (which comes with the territory, I know), I was actually pretty impressed. The only time I noticed the extra length in the trails was when I had to use reverse to turn it around in a tight spot; where my 137” would have done it in 2 moves, the 154” took 4....no biggie. It sure did lay on it’s side easily though, and just tractored thru stuff that would have had the throttle on my 137” to the bar! I think the mid-with front end makes sense for me; I don’t ever see myself doing the riding most of the time that will really utilize the narrow width.

My only reservation against possibly getting the 154” is because I’m not certain how much I’ll actually be riding out west, and the thought of it being on the excessive side for mixed UP riding.

Turning a 154 around on hardpack is easy regardless of a lot of hardpack to turn around or a hardpack single wide trail with high snow banks on either side of you. I do a bulldog - wrong foot forward, countersteer, pull the sled hard on its side and easily throttle the sled in a 180 like nothing. Takes about 4~5 times practice and you'll have the turning down pat and you'll be turned around waiting for the others with reverse beepers to stop beeping and going back n forth. hahaha

The other thing you'll find is you can turn waAAay more sharp with a 154 than 137. The 137 back end goes to China and you are stuck. The 154 will auger, turning in the most closed quarters in the trees you'll have a sh\t. Especially with a post forward and adjustable handlebar riser; oooh the control, fkin unreal.:face-icon-small-ton

Congratz on the 154, you'll never look back.

Last edited:
Premium Features