• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What should idle be warmed up.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Idle is 1150-1200 rpm never moves, unless way cold( below zero type)then they will idle higher, and come back to the lower after a couple min.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Coming off a axys

Had a 2012 e-tech 800. Just do not remember. Having an issue with light throttle around 5800 rpms. Going down the trail say around 30 mph, engine seems to come in and out off the exhaust valve. On off on off. It will make sled jerk back and forward. Fine when climbing hills or accelerating. I have a mbrp can on it. So I can really hear the difference in exhaust tone when it is doing this. Put stock can back on still does it, just can not here it. Trying to figure out. Dealer is out. A week before they can look at it
And I am going g on trip this week.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
You must be coming from another brand.
The idle on these etecs is nothing short of amazing. My fourstrokes don't even idle as smoothly.

Is the idle really "smooth" on your 850?

Mine has always been a little rough and recently it just got rougher. Like it rattles the plastics and the handle bar has noticeable movement.

I thought maybe a plug had a cracked porcelain or something but they both looked fine. Now I'm wondering about reed valves, or dirty injector or maybe it just me.

Is anyone else have an idle this rough?

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
Is the idle really "smooth" on your 850?

Mine has always been a little rough and recently it just got rougher. Like it rattles the plastics and the handle bar has noticeable movement.

I thought maybe a plug had a cracked porcelain or something but they both looked fine. Now I'm wondering about reed valves, or dirty injector or maybe it just me.

Is anyone else have an idle this rough?

My bars shake a bit when at idle and I'm not on the sled. I'm just over 1000 miles on my 2018. Idles the same now as it did when I picked it up.

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
My bars shake a bit when at idle and I'm not on the sled. I'm just over 1000 miles on my 2018. Idles the same now as it did when I picked it up.

That's good to hear, sounds like yours is like mine was until it changed. Not sure of the reason for the change (and it was sudden) but I did notice two things 1) my break-in went to zero (probably just coincidence) and 2) both bolt heads were broken off the support that secures the secondary to the engine module.

It will probably be a few days before the bolts are fixed but I wonder if them missing could cause the vibrations at idle to feel stronger?

J
Mar 10, 2017
Eastern Idaho
It will probably be a few days before the bolts are fixed but I wonder if them missing could cause the vibrations at idle to feel stronger?

I bet that's it, in your situation, when one bolt breaks, the second one then takes twice the load it is supposed to, so it breaks ASAP, and now engine vibrations are not absorbed as much by the chassis as they were before the bolts broke and the vibrations end up in the bars.

Premium Features