• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Burning coolant

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
Had a bogging issue at 2200km on my18 axys. Popped off the head to take a look . Everything looked great, put it back together and it’s burning coolant. Figured the o ring must be out of place, took it apart and looked fine ..... still burning coolant . Got new O rings ..... still burning coolant. Had a spare head from a stage 3 project, swapped it incase I’d warped mine during the torque sequence.... still burning coolant. If I put my hand under the exhaust I get splatter and if I rev it up it smokes and smells like coolant , burns the reservoir in 10 min at idle. Any ideas ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
hmm did you ever find the initial problem? theirs only a few ways for coolant to get in... heads, base or crank case seals or a crack in one of them. I would try looking at the base or bottom of the judges if you were bogging and having a prob. before it could be related. I am assuming that you inspected the top of the judge for damage before putting the head on? hade a buddy with a older cat that blue a head gasket/O ring and before we found it it wore a small notch/divot in the edge of the judge in-between where the first O ring sat and the combustion chamber. the sled ran good for about 2 minuets and we took of on a ride. made it 5 minuets down the trail smelt coolant {we did not see the divot at this point it was small} figured it just needed burped. for the next few hours we road parked on inclines and just couldn't get it to stop taking a little coolant every time we stopped. needless to say it got bad and by the time we got home we were down to dumping creek water in it to get back! popped the head and the divot was apparent as it hade ate the notch big enough to see and the gasket hade a 1/2 in. burnt out of it! don't know if this is your prob. as we also noticed air bubbling back in the reservoir as much as coolant spiting out the pipe. but that was after it got bad!

Draxxus

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2009
vancouver
That’s helpful. I’ll be sure to do a very thorough inspection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features