• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are they really that bad? 2008 summit 800R

H
Jan 30, 2017
Hey guys I live in northern Japan and have been looking for a decent sled, mainly for hunting, not so much for the big mountains. I mostly want to ride snowed in logging roads and pull out deer. I have a couple big red plastic sleds that we use for that.

I have found a used 2008 800R rev xp 154 with only 1500km on it. It was ridden by an older guy mostly on trails, nothing hardcore. He says its had the 2009 upgrades at the dealer. I can get it for $5000, things are expensive here.. a new 800 Polaris is right at 18K :face-icon-small-sho

I'm just wondering if these are really as bad as the net says? Is it worth buying? Is there something I should look at and inspect? I'm definitely new to it all, lots of atv and auto experience. And had a 2006 Polaris 900 last year that was a total POS! Its dead now.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Hey guys I live in northern Japan and have been looking for a decent sled, mainly for hunting, not so much for the big mountains. I mostly want to ride snowed in logging roads and pull out deer. I have a couple big red plastic sleds that we use for that.

I have found a used 2008 800R rev xp 154 with only 1500km on it. It was ridden by an older guy mostly on trails, nothing hardcore. He says its had the 2009 upgrades at the dealer. I can get it for $5000, things are expensive here.. a new 800 Polaris is right at 18K :face-icon-small-sho

I'm just wondering if these are really as bad as the net says? Is it worth buying? Is there something I should look at and inspect? I'm definitely new to it all, lots of atv and auto experience. And had a 2006 Polaris 900 last year that was a total POS! Its dead now.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

I just paid $1000 for an 08 xp 800r 154.
For reference my "new Polaris 800" was $13,900.

The 08's definitely have thier problems but 20x less issues than a 900 rmk.
Beat the price down to what you personally want to pay and go for it.

H
Jan 30, 2017
$1000.. Wow. Just looking around the other sites here in Japan..$5000 isn't particularly cheap but with less than 1000 miles on it, it has some appeal. Right here in town as well. I've been reading the oil pump is a big issue on these. Should a guy delete it right off?

It's a good looking unit. Does the link work?

H
Jan 30, 2017
So I just stopped by the shop. Tried working him down another thousand.. not looking good. Right about then I guy I know walks in and says he's got a 2013 cat 1100 turbo with 1300 km on it that he would sell for the same money! Seems to have no issues.

Which way would you go??

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So I just stopped by the shop. Tried working him down another thousand.. not looking good. Right about then I guy I know walks in and says he's got a 2013 cat 1100 turbo with 1300 km on it that he would sell for the same money! Seems to have no issues.

Which way would you go??

Run far run fast.

I would pick the skidoo.
The 08 fixes needed are well documented and economical.

I had a buddy with a 2013 cat 1100t and that thing was a nightmare.
Caught on fire 3 times.
Blew 7 belts in 500 miles.
Bone stock.

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Issues

Oil pump: No problem. Crank runout over spec, and not balanced, causing primary clutch to wear out: Now you may have an issue.

T
Jan 12, 2010
BC
If you want a hunting machine buy a tundra or a sled that is air cooled. The 800r does not work well at low speeds, it over heats. A xp 800r will not work for that, I got one and my tundra works better at slow speeds.
Working sled air cooled, fun sled liquid cooled...

Last edited:
H
Jan 30, 2017
Thanks for replies. Sounds like it best to stay away from that turbo rocketship..pretty damn tempting though! Lol

I had an old Yamaha I got for $200, an old lake rental unit. The thing was always getting stuck, I got some great cardio workouts from digging that machine out, but a few good memories as well.
IMG_1452.jpg

But that 900 I had year last never got stuck and was awesome till it started to implode. I think generally I'm going fast enough to keep it cool. We go down snowed in roads, then snowshoe a few hours. And if we get one we go in and pull it out.

So after talking more with the guys at the shop they've told me the skidoo is actually there on consignment and $5000 is bottom dollar. I just hope I won't left out in the woods with the thing. Is there any somewhat simple way to tell if the crank is out of balance?

Thanks guys, it's a big help

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Thanks for replies. Sounds like it best to stay away from that turbo rocketship..pretty damn tempting though! Lol

I had an old Yamaha I got for $200, an old lake rental unit. The thing was always getting stuck, I got some great cardio workouts from digging that machine out, but a few good memories as well.
View attachment 280166

But that 900 I had year last never got stuck and was awesome till it started to implode. I think generally I'm going fast enough to keep it cool. We go down snowed in roads, then snowshoe a few hours. And if we get one we go in and pull it out.

So after talking more with the guys at the shop they've told me the skidoo is actually there on consignment and $5000 is bottom dollar. I just hope I won't left out in the woods with the thing. Is there any somewhat simple way to tell if the crank is out of balance?

Thanks guys, it's a big help

If its only got a 1000 miles on it it should be fine definitely one the top end for price. What kind of deer is that? Looks like a mule deer but don't know they had them there.

H
Jan 30, 2017
It's a sika which are native here. Biggest in the world.

The guy with the 1100 has a 2008 or 09 skidoo xp for about $4500. Same deal, about 1000 miles on it/ 1400km.
He just sent a pic.
Are those panels stock colors? Gonna go take a look Sunday.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 45
A

AMAX

Dec 22, 2014
We have sika deer here in the US as well (not native). Maryland has a season.

A
Jan 31, 2010
You need a skandic.. or expedition if trail riding is also a necessity. You go pulling much weight with that 800 you'll be changing belts pretty frequently.

I use my 2006 summit 800 for all kinds of hauling. I have hauled out moose, trapped with it, and hauled 6-10 cord of birch each year. Each sled load of wood is around a 1/3 of a cord. Never burnt a belt. Guys with air cooled skandics would laugh at me until I passed them with a load of wood, while burning less gas. Cant compete with the new four strokes on fuel though....

Not ideal, but they work surprising well.

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I use my 2006 summit 800 for all kinds of hauling. I have hauled out moose, trapped with it, and hauled 6-10 cord of birch each year. Each sled load of wood is around a 1/3 of a cord. Never burnt a belt. Guys with air cooled skandics would laugh at me until I passed them with a load of wood, while burning less gas. Cant compete with the new four strokes on fuel though....

Not ideal, but they work surprising well.

I wouldn't buy an air cooled skandic if you paid me.

You must have an expensive slide to tow weight like that. I towed a lot of wood with my 2012 800 etec freeride, but as soon as I'd hook up to something I couldn't pull with my own weight, the sled would ruin a belt.. and my freeride was awesome for not ruining belts. She'd go 1000s of kilometers on a belt, as long as you didn't tow something crazy.

If work is the name of the game nothing beats the 600 etec Skandic.

I have a 800 etec Expedition now.. That thing is unreal for towing. Probably the best sled I've ever owned.

A
Jan 31, 2010
I wouldn't buy an air cooled skandic if you paid me.

You must have an expensive slide to tow weight like that. I towed a lot of wood with my 2012 800 etec freeride, but as soon as I'd hook up to something I couldn't pull with my own weight, the sled would ruin a belt.. and my freeride was awesome for not ruining belts. She'd go 1000s of kilometers on a belt, as long as you didn't tow something crazy.

If work is the name of the game nothing beats the 600 etec Skandic.

I have a 800 etec Expedition now.. That thing is unreal for towing. Probably the best sled I've ever owned.

Nothing expensive or fancy. Just a home built UHMW sled. If you don't have one, build one. Almost every one in Alaska who hauls wood has one. They slid really good.

Then again, maybe you guys down south haven't seen these types of sled yet....

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Nothing expensive or fancy. Just a home built UHMW sled. If you don't have one, build one. Almost every one in Alaska who hauls wood has one. They slid really good.

Then again, maybe you guys down south haven't seen these types of sled yet....

yup lots of them here.. they sell for a lot too.. at least the aluminum ones do, too steep for my liking. I built a wood hauler this past summer. I can't see it being overly easy to pull with a freeride or summit once full though lol. I'll post a pic later.

Premium Features