• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 it's coming!

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
marketing schmarketing, i like riding something different.
dig deeper into yamaha, its like obama worked that deal for them or something.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada

New platform and engine :)

What do you mean by new platform?

What I'd like to see is,
New motor.
New body work. Narrower. Lighter.
Steering post moved forward a bit but not horizontal. I like the steering post verticle but leaned back a little.
Foot well moved forward a little.
More knee and leg room. I'm always banging my knees in to the body work.
That means the secondary clutch and jack shaft needs to be raised and moved forward also. That's means a longer chain and chain case.

Sounds like the new doo. Maybe that's what I need to buy next???

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I have a question, why do you want to be further forward on the sled? For me when I get farther forward it seems to take much more effort to get the sled to do what I want it to do. Feels like I have less leverage. I stand with my feet about in the middle of the boards maybe a little forward of that most of the time. When climbing steeper stuff I move back a few inches. The only time I put my feet up to the footwell is when doing real tight stuff at slow speeds or wrong foot forward.

Last edited:

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I have a question, why do you want to be further forward on the sled? For me when I get farther forward it seems to take much more effort to get the sled to do what I want it to do. Feels like I have less leverage. I stand with my feet about in the middle of the boards maybe a little forward of that most of the time. When climbing steeper stuff I move back a few inches.

Funny you mention this. I feel the exact same way. For years I rode around on a M sled, and felt I had better control of the sled (especially in a sidehill) farther forward on the boards. It took me some time to adjust to the PC chassis and I have found that about a foot back from what I was used to is the sweet spot for me. And in this spot, I definitely feel like I have more leverage.

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
What do you mean by new platform?

What I'd like to see is,
New motor.
New body work. Narrower. Lighter.
Steering post moved forward a bit but not horizontal. I like the steering post verticle but leaned back a little.
Foot well moved forward a little.
More knee and leg room. I'm always banging my knees in to the body work.
That means the secondary clutch and jack shaft needs to be raised and moved forward also. That's means a longer chain and chain case.

Sounds like the new doo. Maybe that's what I need to buy next???

I mean, I think we will have a new sub forum in the Arctic Cat section :)

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
For me.
I find myself moving forward the harder I ride the sled. It's just what naturally happens every time I get aggressive with the sled and ride it as hard as I can. It feels like I'm behind the sleds actions when I'm standing to far back on the ruining boards.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
no secondary over the primary doo style belt eaters please. keep the large spinning objects low!

Cat00

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
For me.
I find myself moving forward the harder I ride the sled. It's just what naturally happens every time I get aggressive with the sled and ride it as hard as I can. It feels like I'm behind the sleds actions when I'm standing to far back on the ruining boards.

X2 I feel more in control that farther forward I am. I do have the c3 3 inch forward steering on my sled

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
When you watch all the videos, and watch where they stand, 90 percent of the time they are standing back on the running boards. The only time you are that far forward is if you are doing a real slow uphill turn. i laugh when everybody needs the new sled more forward.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
When you watch all the videos, and watch where they stand, 90 percent of the time they are standing back on the running boards. The only time you are that far forward is if you are doing a real slow uphill turn. i laugh when everybody needs the new sled more forward.

Well I quess laugh away then. Lol
I can't ride my 2016 boost-it turbo charged sled your way or it'll be in a full on wheelie.
I've added the Zbros coupler to the rear suspension with little affect.
Next I'm trying a Kmod rear skid.
Hope that keeps the skis down.

Last edited:

clutch

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Big Horns Wyoming
I'm not talking about moving forward to keep the skis down from power. I know what thats all about, I ride a m1100t with evo stuff and a 2014 m8000. I'm talking about how everyone thinks that you need to stand in front of the skis to make it handle and be more technical. 90 percent of the time my feet are a foot behind the stirrups. If I am going down a steep hill and need to turn and cut back uphill, then forward helps.:face-icon-small-hap

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
I can't ride my 2016 boost-it turbo charged sled your way or it'll be in a full on wheelie.

Im with you. I dont ride a turbo, but i find my PC trenches out and wont carry any momentum if you stand to far back.

Shwinecat

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Milbank, SD
Im with you. I dont ride a turbo, but i find my PC trenches out and wont carry any momentum if you stand to far back.

Ditto for me. Third year on this 15 and still frustrated with finding the sweet spot. My 09 M1000 was a lot easier to hold straight on side hill. I find myself going slightly up or down on side hill to avoid wash out. The terrain does not always allow this and the steeper the more aggressive you have to angle up and down. To go perfectly straight you have to have foot buried in the footwell and lean forward towards front of machine. It is really hard to keep your balance because you are exposed that far forward.

The changes to spindle angle was made to prevent this. You watch videos with the pros riding these pre 16s and they r doing the same thing.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho

That will make a huge difference for you. I think you will be very happy.

J
Sep 9, 2016
LOL - I wanted to comment on the original subject the changes for 2018 it seems as if that is going to riding position? Heading like any typical Forum thread if we let this go long enough we'll be talking about how the moon and stars line up with Uranus (your anus) LOL.
Anyways I couldn't agree with post #4 anymore as I'm one of the 90% will never see this to its full potential- 2015 m8000 limited 162. For me personally have only been riding for 5 years and have stair-step my way up through the old sleds and finally got something new. I don't see myself being able to afford the newest latest greatest thing every year it comes out. It's nice having something like this that can be upgraded as I can afford things. It definitely is nice to me to have at least 5 years of the same sled relatively same so if I had to buy some take off parts or something like that it seems that more years they make the same thing it would be cheaper and easier to find. Post #4 is the key - my2 :peace:

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
2016 rear suspension

The 2016 rear suspension works better than the 2015
And the 2017 Mountian cat works better than the 2016 sleds do.
If I remember correctly you've done the 2017 chain case so maybe you need to update the rear suspension to get the max benefit of all your work?
If I could have ordered a black mountain cat I wouldn't have done all the updates to my 2016 LTD.
I basicly have a 2016 turbo charged black Mountian cat with belt drive and a carbon fiber hood.

I agree that we've gotten a little off topic here.
I also think/hope we'll see more refinement to this chassis before we see a new chassis.
My thought is we'll see the new motor first.

Last edited:
C
Jan 14, 2012
I hope that Arctic Cat doesnt get into the light weight war and make a fragile chassis. I dont care if its not the lightest, just keep makeing durable sleds with a strong motors.

S

SnoPro1000

Feb 24, 2008
It is possible to be light and strong.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't cat have the lightest or close to the lightest chassis but yet it's the strongest, our weight comes poorly designed everything else. Panels are a huge weight adder the motor compared to others is also the steering has about 600 linkages look at the skinz panels there is so much potential there, cat has the smallest nose because of how the pipe is designed but they aren't taking advantage of that.
I understand money is tight over there for cat being a grain of sand compared to poo and doo but push the emvolope and you'll see great things will come from team green

M8onEdge

Premium Member
Dec 24, 2011
Rigby, Idaho
It is possible to be light and strong.
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't cat have the lightest or close to the lightest chassis but yet it's the strongest, our weight comes poorly designed everything else. Panels are a huge weight adder the motor compared to others is also the steering has about 600 linkages look at the skinz panels there is so much potential there, cat has the smallest nose because of how the pipe is designed but they aren't taking advantage of that.
I understand money is tight over there for cat being a grain of sand compared to poo and doo but push the emvolope and you'll see great things will come from team green

This is kind of what I've said elsewhere. The weight relative to the G4 is only about 15 pounds heavier. They could lose weight and not sacrifice chassis strength by focusing on the panels/hood and the chaincase. Belt drives can be designed to work. I too like the fact that you can take a reasonable hit on the A arms and not ride out on one ski. However, after riding a G4 yesterday, I'm not convinced that is all they need to do to be competitive. That is a nice ride all around.

Premium Features