• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idea for added cooling on the Pro.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Last couple of years I have been frustrated by my over heating Pro when riding on icy trails. Really sucked some days when we had a 20 mile (or shorter) trail ride to get to the goods. The scratchers just didn't throw enough snow on the coolers. So we would stop and throw snow in the track and pack in on the tunnel but the snow on the tunnel would last about 100ft most times. We tried to figure out a way to hold snow on the tunnel of the Pro last year. Fiddled with some stuff but never really came up with a good idea. Was thinking of some kind of light fold up box you could fill with snow for the trail ride that you could fold down out of the way. Buddy has that sled now, I am sure he is going to have the same issue. It is a more important issue now that I will be waiting for him, lol. Any ideas or anyone come up with something similar?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It's expensive but I'm looking into adding an extra cooler. Fastrax...

Seems like it's almost an $800 installed by them.

In our area, we definately need this..

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I think that is over kill. The sled runs exactly 127 degrees in any kind of soft snow no matter how hard you run it. It the trail was soft or had any new snow it ran 127 with the scratchers down. Scratchers are mandatory on this sled. The only problem i had was a really hard icy trail. Was hoping for a $100 solution.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
I know the feeling, sitting on the side of the trail waiting for it to cool, then trying to find your buddies later. Have the same issue.

http://betweenthelinesdesigns.com/?page_id=509

These look good becasue of the shapness of the carbide and the weight/force on it as the skis turn it does a better job at ripping up the harder stuff. Then the ski'z just deflect it into the skid.

Thinking of trying some this year.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Matte,

Just read your post and not somewhere where I can take sled measurements. I'm spit-balling here so bear with me...

How's about...

-Take two lengths of 1.5" angle aluminum cut to fit the tunnel
-Drill the horizontal for carriage bolts to mate up with the tie-down channels
-Drill the vertical for pop-rivets
-Add spacer material (plastic, plywood, metal) to make the vertical taller
-Secure "Snow Rails" with wing-nuts and pile snow on tunnel

Potential issues are 1) where to store them once you're past the icy part and 2) working around other racks/accessories mounted on the tunnel

Another idea that may be even simpler is carry a mesh nylon laundry bag. Fill bag with snow and secure to tunnel with bungees. When no longer needed, empty, shake out bag and stow.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've got these. They work GREAT (10° cooler than traditional scratchers) and can go in reverse with them.

reversible2.jpg

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
rear cooler as posted above is gonna be well worth the money. think van emburg makes one thats not as expensive. or buy a standard rmk;)

A
Go Poor Boy like we did back in the day on the Revs in late spring. We would simply bunji cord a " Milk Crate " on top of the tunnel packed tightly wish spring snow. Once you are to the goods stash your milk crate for the ride out. If its more powdery snow you outta line the milk crate with that fabric dog screen material from the home depot. Zip tie it to the inside of the crate.
Not the most stylish way but id did work great fur us on the race chassis revs with the tiny rear cooler.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Carry a 50# onion sack and fill it with snow and bungee it too the rear of your sled when you need it. Store it in your tool bag when not in use. Simple, light weight, and always with you. It doubles for a lot of other uses on the trail as well. Don't make this complicated.
Reminds me of a company that was having problems with empty cereal boxes. They spent thousands of dollars trying to figure out a method to catch the empties before they were shipped. Low and behold one of the line personnel(not an engineer mind you) set up a fan on the assembly line and the empties blew off the conveyor. Problem solved.

IMG_4040.jpg IMG_4042.jpg

G
Oct 23, 2011
sask. canada
I took a look at the skinz video on gmustangt's link, i think between those and the rail mounted scrathers it might just be enough instead of adding a extra cooler. I think im also gonna try some.

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Matte,

Just read your post and not somewhere where I can take sled measurements. I'm spit-balling here so bear with me...

How's about...

-Take two lengths of 1.5" angle aluminum cut to fit the tunnel
-Drill the horizontal for carriage bolts to mate up with the tie-down channels
-Drill the vertical for pop-rivets
-Add spacer material (plastic, plywood, metal) to make the vertical taller
-Secure "Snow Rails" with wing-nuts and pile snow on tunnel

Potential issues are 1) where to store them once you're past the icy part and 2) working around other racks/accessories mounted on the tunnel

Another idea that may be even simpler is carry a mesh nylon laundry bag. Fill bag with snow and secure to tunnel with bungees. When no longer needed, empty, shake out bag and stow.

This concept, together with these plastic buttons on the tunnel sides; http://lorentzen.no/produkter/kalesjeutstyr_3/_kalesje_diverse/gummistropper_4_delt_1/

Then some rope to criss-cross the bag and done. When stored it is completely out of the way. Drill out some rivets and bolt the buttons in their place.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Last edited:

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
The problem i see with packing the snow on the tunnel via bag or whatever. Is it only gets you so far like stated above.
Add in that many guys have extra gas / bags on the tunnel and there is less room to add snow.

akMcat

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
Fort Collins, CO
Go Poor Boy like we did back in the day on the Revs in late spring. We would simply bunji cord a " Milk Crate " on top of the tunnel packed tightly wish spring snow. Once you are to the goods stash your milk crate for the ride out. If its more powdery snow you outta line the milk crate with that fabric dog screen material from the home depot. Zip tie it to the inside of the crate.
Not the most stylish way but id did work great fur us on the race chassis revs with the tiny rear cooler.
I always wondered what the milk crate was for, I just thought skidoo guys were too cool to buy a tunnel bag :crazy:

M

Mech Engr

Sep 27, 2010
Mountains
cool it!

Here's one I learned from the RMK 900 and still use it on that. Haven't had the new Pro out yet so we'll see...I may do it to that one too!

Sharpen the outer diameter of a couple small washers and then weld them perpendicular to the end of the scratchers. I read about it in AM-Snow magazine a couple years ago and tried it on the 900. Really seems to cut through that ice on the trails and throw some serious snow at the cooler.

John

Premium Features