• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M7 Check Engine CE light: flash 6 times

Seems like I can't find any definitive information on this. My sled was acting up after heading out on the trail, it developed a misfire at low-mid throttle and lower rpm, and would clear up and run ok once I went WOT.

After riding about 30 minutes the problem started getting worse and it became a more serious bog and would backfire sometimes. Once it got this bad it was harder to get it to clean up, but every once in a while I could tape it to the bars and all the sudden it would clear up and rev out like normal.

Plugs are wet. Changed plugs, cleaned power valves, and checked the oil injection rod. None of which were too bad, but the oil injection rod was at stock length so I turned it out about 1.5 turns.

At this point I hadn't recalled any check engine lights. Started it up, sled was running ok, but not great. Slight bog/misfire, but not as bad as the end of the ride. Start disconnecting wiring harnesses to rule out a bad switch or grounded wire. Fire it up, sled seems to run better, and wraps out on the stand (free track) pretty good.

Start running through things and realize the check engine light is flashing. I'm guessing it wasn't before, as I probably would have noticed, but I can't rule out that it indeed wasn't flashing before this point in time. Flashes 6 times. Not the 1, then 6. Just 6 times. It flashes 6 times right after starting and doesn't go away.

Doesn't really matter what throttle position, or if I turn it off and start it again, it always goes back to flashing 6 times when running. The sled states this is power valves or servo, and the manual says it's the water temp sensor. Which is it?

It really pisses me off that I'm seeing tons of conflicting information for something like CE light flashes, which is making diagnosis of the problem even tougher. The real question here is; What does it mean when the Check Engine light flashes 6 times?

Once I have that answered I can continue looking into the actual problem (the bog/misfire down low). Thanks for any help here! If you do know in fact what 6 flashes is code for, please back up your response. :)

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
check the engine temp sensor.

There it's a yellow plug that goes down back of engine check it.

I had a sled that came in the mice had chewed the wires at the temp sensor .

Last edited:
Premium Features