• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmet Mounted Lights?

F

FrostBite2010

Jan 9, 2010
Haines, Alaska
I would like to run a headlight delete on my sled, but do a lot of my riding at night, usually because the weather wasn't conducive to riding that day(flat light, snowing, ect...) Are these lights bright enough to ride at night when the weather is poor, and which is best?

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
Yes, they are brite enough. They actually work better then headlights because they shine where you look. I like Cyclops halogen helmet lights personally. We do a bit of MX racing at night and with just helmet lights we can go the same pace at night that we do during the day..

Your options are;
Cyclops
Trail Tech
Lead dog

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
have you used more than one of those? Got a preference?

I've only run with CB using the lead dog, seemed to work well, but I've got no comparison to the others.

Imo, I agree though, the lead dog was notably more effective than headlights in mixed terrain. Where on a sled if you went into a dip, your lights would just shine in that snow, reflect back at you & give you nothing, with a helmet light you can keep looking where you need to go & what you NEED illuminated will always be lit up.

F

Flange

Oct 25, 2001
Calgary, Alberta
I ran the Lead Dog too after I installed a lightweight hood on my old King Cat. Very bright and it shines wherever you look. Anyone that followed me on the trail liked it too because the red light shows up nicely above the cloud of snow. You can actually hook it up to the brake light although I never did. I've still got it ad use it on my 2010 M8 along with the headlight.

T
Jun 27, 2008
Bend, Oregon
have you used more than one of those? Got a preference?

I've only run with CB using the lead dog, seemed to work well, but I've got no comparison to the others.

Imo, I agree though, the lead dog was notably more effective than headlights in mixed terrain. Where on a sled if you went into a dip, your lights would just shine in that snow, reflect back at you & give you nothing, with a helmet light you can keep looking where you need to go & what you NEED illuminated will always be lit up.

I've used all three of the brands I mentioned. Currently have Cyclops 50watt halogen, Cyclops MR16 HID, Trail Tech MR16 HID and a old lead dog 35w halogen. I'm a bit of a odd ball, I like halogen, most guys like HID more but I find the HID light to intense for my eyes and for offroad racing it lights the dust up too much, like driving in a blizzard with your highbeam on. The nice this about halogen is that you can run it off ac or dc. The nice thing about HID is that is uses about half the wattage of halogen for the same brightness. The HID's go a long time on a battery pack, 3 hrs with our set up whereas a halogen only will go 1-1.5hr. I've done some laps at our local 24hr race with as many as 3 helmet lights on my lid with no bike light, really brite but you can feel the weight, lap times with just helmets lights are just as fast as when I'm using a helmet light and my 8" race light. Weight wise our halogens are lighter then our HIDs. I think a good bike or sled mounted light with a 50watt halogen helmet light is hard to beat, only thing that would be better is two 50w halogen helmet lights and machine mounted light IMO. Unless your riding trail you need a helmet light at night.

Premium Features