• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Small snowmobiles?

M
Feb 16, 2010
I'm new to sledding and was hoping for some suggestions on used models that would fit a small lady. (5 feet tall and under 100lbs) She rode my 1m900 today on a frozen lake and said it was way too big, physically and power wise. I saw a Polaris 340 indy lite in the back of someones truck and it appeared to be 2/3 full size, thinking along these lines. I bought our kids a Polaris 120 to share and they love it, my wife said she prefers it to mine if that gives you an idea for size. I'd like to find her something small and easy to ride to learn on, we're both beginners. Would a 07 Phazer 500 be too big? Is the Polaris 340 edge the same small size as an indy lite? (I'm sure she doesn't want an ugly sled and the edge looks nicer) Also electric start and reverse would be nice options. As would a electrical system capable of running heated hand grips and seat pad.

I don't really know what kind of terrain we will be riding, mostly trails I imagine. I bought the 1M on the advice of friends saying I would get stuck in the mountains on smaller sleds being a big guy. Seems a bit much but hopefully I'll get used to it. Anyway if you folks can pass on some knowledge I'd appreciate it.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I would check out the Polaris Pro-RMK.

:face-icon-small-win

You can't go wrong with a Phazer, lots of them out there and you can always get your $$ back out of it.
Also look at the Polaris Trail 550.

R
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeangelas
heres a few pics of my lite.... i still ride it more than my other sleds as its just too much fun. stuffed a 488 polaris and 1.75x121 track in it along with many other mods....

100_0645small.jpg

100_0648small.jpg

0119081333again.jpg

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
Size-wise, the Polaris Indy 340 Deluxe 121 would fit the bill well. I have a 2002 model that my wife started on and really liked it. My son (now 10) has been on it for the last three years. You're right, it's about 2/3 the size of a "regular" sled and weighs next to nothing if/when it gets stuck. I've modded mine for high altitude mountains but stock they will run around 55mph on flat open ground. VERY stable little sled with comfortable seat, grip heaters, electric & pull start, etc.....

Last edited:
B
Oct 4, 2010
South Dakota
newer phazers are decent

a newer phazer.. if youre thinking long track.. would be perfect.. theyre a little underpowered and they will teach her that if she doesnt learn to learn with the sled.. she gets bucked off... she'll learn the "right way" to ride :)

H

harper

Dec 16, 2007
manitoba
Yamaha Bravo Longtrack

too lite to get stuck, sips fuel, decent resale.
If she takes to it, get her something bigger down the road.

SledGimp

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
Heber, UT
Just for something to compare to, my son is 10 and weighs much less than 100 pounds and he rides a 2003 mtn cat 570.

Fireman35

Lifetime Membership
Aug 11, 2009
Burlington,WI
X2

a newer phazer.. if youre thinking long track.. would be perfect.. theyre a little underpowered and they will teach her that if she doesnt learn to learn with the sled.. she gets bucked off... she'll learn the "right way" to ride :)

Ya a Mountain Pazer 08 would be real easy for her to learn on. they are fairly easy to lay over. the 340 would lack in power in powder in my opinion.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I would say either an older or a newer phazer. Those things were indestructable in the 90s and they still are today from what I hear. (my trusty 93 phazer never once let me down or gave me probelms for the 8k miles I put on it and resold it for 650$ on ebay!)

rmk stu

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2008
Roseburg, Oregon
Lots of great idea's here but don't forget about the trusty Polaris Trail RMK, fan cooled, 136" track, and a blast to ride. We have an 04' that my wife and son share we all love it. :light:

R

Rrrrrrandyw

Dec 9, 2010
Ogden, Utah
My wife is on an 07 Polaris 550 trail, air cooled, 136 track. Works very well for her and you don't have to worry about overheating due to not getting off the trail. She is about the same size as your wife and she loves her sled. Has been riding it for about 3 years. It is now time to find some more power for it though.

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
I'm not sure how serious you are about this but I built what your looking for and it only weighs about 365 lbs.

Base 08 XP TNT
Longtracked with camo 141 X 15 X 2.25 with 3" pitch

Took lots of stuff off
Front airbox delete and replace with my own small carbon fiber box
Front heat exchanger delete
Headlight delete and replace with aux lights about 6 oz each
Complete oil injection delete

Also bigbored to 629, estimated HP 115 to 120
Ti a-arms
Ti front arm in skid
4 Floats
Skid only weighs 33 lbs, my design chromemoly rear arm, based on Yami rear arm making it look a bit like Timbersled arm
Straightline pipe and carbon can
Lots of other things done to it

Point is it has the flotation of a stock 800 with 16 wide X 150+ inches of track while weighing minimum 75 lbs less.

Very easy to take 30 to 40 lbs off, after that starts costing a bit of money

It is sooooo much fun to ride even if it doesn't have 160 HP

Good Luck

P1000109(1).JPG P1000110(1).JPG post-5760-1205194316.jpg post-5760-1170954848(1).jpg

Last edited:
M
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks for all the great suggestions and responses. She said she would prefer to learn on a small one that way if she doesn't take to it the one of the kids can use it. I guess that limits choices to a Polaris 340, Arctic cat 370 or Skidoo 380. I think a 440 might be more fun for her but too much for the kids. Also I don't if the 440's are as small size wise as the smaller displacement models. I will definitely read up on the Ladies forum.

And now I'm off to take one of the kids out with me for a ride.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Many times it is good to start on an underpowered turd.
That way as she wants to get more out of the sled she will have to do it by improving her skills rather than relying on throttle alone.

L

LRD

Mar 27, 2002
Snowest is a mtn forum so I'll answe as if this is a mtn riding question.

Don't forget if your mtn riding at 9000 ft your down about 30% on HP!! Wouldn't go anything less than a Doo 550 fan or Cat 570 fan but your only going to have about 50 HP max available if even that at 9,000 ft. I have built and tuned the Doo 550 fans in the past to go anywhere that an 800 will go with the exception of high mark climbing, they just do everything a bunch slower.

That 500SS (600 carb) in the TNT or Summit version stock makes maybe 105 HP at sea level or about 70 HP at 9000 ft. Thats not a lot when your trying to swing a mtn track so shes not stuck all the time and you definitely don't wanna go there. She gets stuck all the time and she may be done before she even learns enough to have some fun. Also try and break her in right away to sidehilling or you may live to regret it if your not lucky.

The Schooled vids I highly recommend!!!!!

The 1M is a bit overkill for HP and I'd guess weight for a first sled.

Good Luck

Last edited:

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
550 skidoo freestyle backcountry, have had my 10 yr old daughter on it for two years, realy light, easy to handle, at the end of the day she is not that tired. very reliable motor, 136 track good traction, we took on up to fernie a couple of years ago, at 7000ft felt gutless but it went everywhere. good wind protection. and best of all in higher demand so you always have good resale.

giddyup

Premium Features