• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Question on buying gear in Bozeman (also, cheaper than West Yellowstone?)

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
We have a friend flying in from Norway to go ride down at West Yellowstone. He's going to need all sorts of gear, would like to find a place with a good selection of sizes and product.

Need this info soon....figure it's probably cheaper than buying at West. Will be in Bozeman on Thursday.

Any suggestions (will be buying all new gear...looking at Klim (coat/britches/?), helmet, goggles, boots, gloves, beacon/shovel/probe/, possibly SPOT...basically everything). Would also like to see a business that would work on pricing with this large of a package of items.

Any suggestions where is a good business to shop??

D
Nov 30, 2007
Bozeman MT
I'm sure there is probably a reason he wants to buy the gear. But if it were me I'd probably just rent gear from a place in West (same place He's renting a sled?) looked like less than $20 per day for a complete outfit. BUT I'm all for econimc stimulation so I think your options to buy in Bozeman are Summit Motorsports, Team Bozeman, and Yellowstone Arctic Cat in Belgrade (closest to Airport).

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Thank you dichdoc! :)

There is a good reason to buy here...he wanted to get new gear anyway, and it's costs waaaaay more in Norway. So it'll save him to buy it here, and this way he can try things on as opposed to ordering online and possibly not getting correct sizing.

Appreciate the response!

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Oh...and any recommendations on which is a good place to deal with? We're picking him up on our way down, so kind of would like to have things figured out so we can get this done and then get to West and settled in our motel.

D
Nov 30, 2007
Bozeman MT
Summit motorsports is the only one I have dealt with lately so I can't speak to the others inventory. But I was in Summit trying on Klim gear (I won that little Snowest contest can you ride? and Klim hooked me up!) and they had a good selection of the average sizes L XL in a few styles. You could call 586-7147 and ask Jeff if he'd work a deal on quanitity. Team Bozeman seems to have a bigger variety/quantity of clothing but I haven't been there in a while and Yellowstone Motorsports would be right on your way from the airport to West (into Belgrade, South on Jackrabbit Lane and Left after the interstate. I have no idea what kind of selection they have. Thank your friend for throwing those Euros around in Bozeman!! TB

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Ok....I got in touch with SnowBigDeal...got all the avy gear (including Avy backpack) handled. Thanks MUCH SnowBigDeal! :)

The rest of the gear needs to be tried on for sizing, so that will be purchased in Bozeman. Thanks dichdoc, and for the PM I got J with recommendations of Summit. Sounds like we might be able to get jacket, boots, gloves, helmet (wanting a black matte), and anything else there. Goggles...I hope to hear back from 509 soon and be able to have those shipped here, and bring with us for Pedersen.

F

flyboy103

Nov 27, 2007
I was in west last week. The polaris dealer had a pretty good selection of klim stuff. They also had both scott and 509 goggles. Only had a couple pair of 509's left on the shelf, but were suppose to be getting a order in shortly. Didn't really notice what they had for helmets.

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
Thanks much for the feedback! Need to be able to get to whatever place(s), get this done, and get settled.

Someone coming from sea elevation to West needs some down time to rest (amongst drinking lots of water)....plus he's 8 hour ahead of us....so will be behind when he gets here. The sooner we can get his shopping done (after we make our way to pick him up in Bozeman), the better for him to be able to rest before riding on Friday.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I should really drag him back to REXBURG and take him into Rexburg Motor Sports and get him fully hooked up. NONE of the shops in West really carry a full selection of gear for sale, they are all about RENTALS.

And I could get him a decent price on all of it as well.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hopefully they have a decent store there with a good full inventory of everything Pederson will need to have fun.

Might look for an Oxygen bottle for him as well.
I think the Altitude is going to kick is sea level butt!:face-icon-small-hap

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Team Bozeman in years past had a great selection, but when I was in there about a month ago they didn't have much at all. Personally I HATE buying anything from them anyways. Yellowstone Motorsports in Belgrade is awesome to deal with, but I haven't paid attention to how good their selection of clothes is.

Polaris West used to have a good selection and fair prices, but I haven't been in there for several years. I would at least call them.

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
I should really drag him back to REXBURG and take him into Rexburg Motor Sports and get him fully hooked up. NONE of the shops in West really carry a full selection of gear for sale, they are all about RENTALS.

And I could get him a decent price on all of it as well.

Going to have to disagree with you on that one. Polaris West has one of the larger selections of Klim gear in the valley. Nice people to deal with as well. That being said, I haven't been down there since after the holidays. They usually get nailed pretty hard between christmas and new years.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
was at both summit and team bozeman today, I will say, summit has about 10x the gear selection... lots of klim stuff. bozo didnt have a whole lot.

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
yeah Summit is the place in Bozeman...Polaris West is a great place too, but is in West...

I have some spare avy gear if you need it...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Going to have to disagree with you on that one. Polaris West has one of the larger selections of Klim gear in the valley. Nice people to deal with as well. That being said, I haven't been down there since after the holidays. They usually get nailed pretty hard between christmas and new years.
Hey, I am GLAD to hear it, that is nothing but good news!
I didn't think anyone really carried a deep full inventory in West.
I thought pretty much all of them catered to the sled renters, not to the real riders.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I do hope the altitude difference does't kill him though.
Poor guy is used to 600m being HIGH altitude!!:face-icon-small-hap

CatWoman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 26, 2004
NW Montana
I VERY much appreciate everyone's assistance on this thread, and via PM. This is just one of the reasons I LOVE SnoWest. :)

The avy gear has been ordered, so that part is handled. It's being shipped to our motel and will be waiting upon our arrival. Thanks SnowBigDeal!! Big thumbs up on that! I have a spare pack as well, but Pedersen wanted to buy gear to take home with him (he really should have it there too). Mountains are mountains, no matter the elevation.

I'm really hoping to get our shopping done, and him to our hotel where he can get to bed and get some rest. I already let him know to be drinking lots of water. I actually do have an oxygen bottle from my time with EMS (I bought my own to have if responding from my car)...but don't think I need to bring it. Poor guy is traveling back in time to boot....LOL.

You couldn't Pay me to shop at Team Bozeman, terrible dealer and surpised that polaris and yamaha haven't pulled their card with them...Which is sad because its by far the nicest facility, however terrible everything else. I don't care if Team Blows-men was giving things away. Team Summit is the place to go, talk to Jeff, Cash, Brandon, Tim or Mike and tell them Trenton Smith sent you. Would be surpised if they didn't give you a break for buying a full set of gear from them. Good luck and ride safe.

Premium Features