• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamadoo remodeling

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Well, I was sorta hating my sled and trying to sell it, but have realized I just love the thing to much to give up!! so I have set some goals and will lay them out for others to check out and keep tabs on as time wears on. Most wont happen until the fall when I have a chance to work on the sled some more... right now its time to make $$ and pay for the toys!

Mods-

Drop weight (50#!!!)

Install avid drivers

New motor mounts

As anyone who knows about the sled will tell you... it LIKES belts.. the motor sits visually out of place from my original mounts bending. The mounts are also steel and kinda wobbly. I have a plan to build aluminum ones that are much beefier, and straight, this should help with a few ## of weight and good belt life/more power to the track.

My current wahl bros drivers eat a fat one:yell:.... they suck it hard. I have my track so tight its bending the adjuster bolts and have to have the limiters WAY in to keep it from ratcheting... and it still will on the right snow. the amount of effort it takes to spin the track when its in the air is truely scary, its HARD... it takes a ton of effort. this combined with the crappy skid setup has made the sled a pig to ride and probably hasnt helped my belt life.

Weight loss.. its got a LOT of crap under the hood. and it ISNT light. BUT, there are a lot of little things I have up my sleave that should help out and be able to knock out some serious poundage.. making it a LOT more fun to ride and even faster then before:face-icon-small-con

my goal is 50# for now... if I meet that and havent spent much $$>. then I shall keep going. here is a random list of crap I have that should drop some weight, and conservative guesses on what they will do.

-tube tunnel/rear cooler delete- 20-25#(a healthy start!!)
-lightweight custom seat - 5#??
-shorten weird hoses, clean up underhood routing(excessive crap)- 10#
-battery mount/front bumper 5#
-motor mounts-3#
-custom a-arms - 4#
-custom lightweight steering post/system 5-10# depending on how it works out.
-possible partial upper tube frame- unkown###??

I know there are a lot of mish mash guesses on there. but if you looked at it, most are well within reason, and will help a LOT with the balance of the sled.. its very nose heavy. Most of this stuff will be built in house by myself and my most awsome fabbtastic buddy josh(jskattum606) He will be helping me a ton knocking out the whole sled getting odds and ends ironed out and building all the custom parts.

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
glad you aren't giving up on it, you have made we really want to get a tube tunnel/chassis

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
yeah.... I realized I just love it to much.. and I watched some of hte videos of it again.. i just cant give up boost. once you pick up the crack pipe.. no putting it down... I think I can make the pig rideable!

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
the tube tunnel should help alot, should be way more responsive

J

jskattum606

Dec 3, 2007
Bozeman, MT
Im Ready to get started on yours and mine right now but there is a little thing call work getting in the way. I think we can loose that much weight if not more just getting rid of all of the 1st version stuff you have on there now that was rushed. Were there is a will there is a way:face-icon-small-hap

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
don't forget the time and money part, but you two do some sweet work together

J
Jun 13, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
Vids, let's see some links... The RT chassis takes a little getting used to but grew to love mine in one short seasonn. Weight is big thing to over come so I hope you can hit your target weight.

Have you or are you looking into and after market skid? I've been playing with the idea of swaping in an M-series 153 float skid... should be pretty light compaired to the stock skidoo skid and way cheaper then a timber or holz.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I honestly have 0 money for a budget right now.. just custom stuff. but that is mostly just time and materials, which aint crap compared to aftermarket stuff.. the rev skid isnt TO heavy and seems to be holding the boost down quite well... I might be able to do a little reworking of the skid and have it handle a LOT better and still not wheelie to bad on climbs.

here are a few vids from the season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsTylVy-0W8

and as you can see... im not a large fella.. and its a big sled.. so weight and handling is gonna be KEY!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbVwTgTsT3E&feature=channel

the nice thing about this time around is i dont HAVE to get it done, like last time I spent so much time figuring out things like header. airbox, random fab stuff, now im juust updating/fixing, so should have much better results. the motor mounts already got tweaked mid season to be stronger... but I think near the end it was makign a lot more power and just twisted em to h3ll. if all goes like it should.. the beast should be ripping MUCH harder next season. I may order some more chromoly and get to work building my new steering system here pretty soon.. should be a HOOT. might only be a mock up. but should save at LEAST 10# when all is said and done. and thats just a custom post and linkage.. we aren even into A arms!!

M

maxwellzx

Oct 16, 2008
what about a 162 challenger extreme 2.5 or 3 icnch....i notice it looks like your running the stock track? might be a worthy upgrade to get the power to the ground

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
not stock, running a 162 attack 20 that is SHOT.. its so thrashed. would help to get a good track, but that falls under the cost $$$ area.. If $$ goes my way this fall, it will get a new track, but there are a LOT of simple things that will make this sled 10x better to ride and slay the hills with.. just getting bugs worked out. my only competition power wise in my group is stinkin josh.. so as long as I get the thing running more consistant and putting the power to the ground instead of cooking belts I should be golden.. its fast, just really poor setup isnt helping the thing at ALL. getting ALL the weight off the nose and just weight out of the sled is gonna be KEY in its sucess.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
?????? what about that rippin M8?
I heard about it... just never actually seen it on the hill!!! ahah... if my sled actually runs half the time next season it might even be fun to ride with me then!! or not because it will slay to much...

so I have been running circles with my brain and think I have figured out much of my crappy takeoff crater digging situation. I will be playing with my pitot tube location again for this season and hopefully get it a LITTLE better, my current setup I beleive is causing me a massive sutter at right off idle WOT and hanging around engagement it just farts and stutters. If I can get my fueling more dialed in on the low end and get my suspension halfway setup, should be 10x more fun to ride in the woods.. right now its somewhat sensetive and can be a hassle with obstacles around. we shall see what my playing does this summer for getting it dialed in better.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Well, I was sorta hating my sled and trying to sell it.

more power to ya:face-icon-small-hap

i felt the same with my first year turbo sled, then i tossed another 5K at this past summer and was very very happy with it.....it took me awhile to figure out these turbo kit builders make it easier and much more fun, sure i balled the sled up late season and got picked up a 2010, but this sport is what it is, always need a backup and only having one sled limits the short season

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
i have a backup and can usually peice mine together, its just to much fun to ride to give up on.. if I can get it anywhere near where I want to for the fall, its going to be silly fun to ride. just unbeleivable amount of power in a nimble chassis, with 4stroke reliability.

im figuring out some more of my fueling issues which will help deal with the few hiccups it had that I couldnt figure out all season. lots of details that will just make the sled something anyone can hop on and not know how to ride around its little quirks.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
gonna be testing out a few little fueling mods here pretty soon, also gonna go pick up a set of avid drivers.. And depending on how the budget does, I could be doing more or less mods... we shall see. a lot of this has to wait for the fall until my welder acess is regranted.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
turn it up a few lbs!!
AHAH.. I want to, but my current setup rocks hard on 10# and is perfect for the riding I do.. sometimes I run it at 12 when I want to be rowdy... but most days 10 is more then enough.

took it for a last little blast up in the hills, got some fueling stuff figured out.. or at least figured out I ened to change it so I can get it running smoother and better fueling.. also.. my poor motor mounts have bent like 1/4" over the season!! no wonder im killing belts!!

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
Once you get a Apex/rx1 motor in the 17-20 psi range it is a totally different beast then at 12 psi. Even with a head shim you can run 17 day in and out with good fuel. I know you've said you don't need that much boost, just saying if you start getting tired or frustrated, turn up the boost for a day and experience a different sled. I've been riding a rx1 or apex the past 4 years, and although I feel like a change sometimes that 4 cylinder screaming monster keeps drawing me back.

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
depending on elevation the 2860 seems to like the 15 lb sweet spot for the 4 cyl from what I have seen! Runs just fine at 10-18 though too!!

also from what ive seen a 60hp shot of juice on the bottom really wake em up as well eh zeb!!!!

Stutter button is fun to though and it doesnt need to be refilled!!!

Premium Features